Yamaha oak drum kits

Just been browsing through the yamaha kits and found a stunning oak custom kit, but have never really heard an oak kit, what's the real difference and what are your opinions on oak kits?

Track

Played one at a local GC and was very impressed. They are LOUD and to my ears, had great tone. I love the transparent black and honey colored finishes, especially the black.

The finishes are most deffinately eye catching, oh how I wish there were GC in england...*sigh*

Only problem is if they are much louder then may have the problem of over powering the rest of the band, playing rather lighter indie stuff

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
My newest corporate gig has me playing some Yamaha Oak Custom drums - and I've always loved these. They sound very close to my own bubinga drums. Physically very dense and slightly heavy. Great attack and great long tones. Amazing. I recommend both of these woods to everyone - who needs birch and maple? I think oak and bubinga are probably the last stop before you get to the jarrah wood varieties - which I think are as dense as stone....

TTNW

Pioneer Member
I think oak and bubinga are probably the last stop before you get to the jarrah wood varieties - which I think are as dense as stone....
Imagine a DW Super Solid full kit. That might sound pretty awesome.

RobertM

Platinum Member
For a good, natural a/v file of the Oak Customs, check out Dave Weckl's performance at PASIC 2007:

http://www.vicfirth.com/artists/weckl.php

He is playing a red Oak Custom kit. Everyone says the Oaks are loud, but remember too that you control the volume with your touch. I have a jazz Oak kit and it works very well--I don't really detect a massively noticeable difference. Heck, even Adam Deitch uses Tama Bubingas for jazz playing, and as Bo noted, the Oaks and Bubingas are similar in sound.

adam!

I recently traded in my DW Collectors for a Gretsch Renown Purewood Oak kit. Honestly, my oak kit outperforms my DW kit in all areas. With the die-cast hoops, you get a more "aggressive" sound, but other than that, I've found oak to be warmer, brighter, lower and more resonant than maple. I love it. It can be very loud, but, as someone already stated, it's all in your touch.
The great thing about Purewoods and Oak Customs is you know every ply is the actual wood. In my experience, it really does affect the sound; and with oak being such a dense wood, it only makes sense that it would sound tremendous.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
For me the after the PHX comes Oak (fitted with die cast hoops) Especially the kick witch was 20x17 kicks ass. With quite a price difference the Oak is the way to go.

This was my Oak:

Homeularis

Gold Member
I was just at GC a few hours ago picking up some new snare heads and they always have one on hand in "Red Oak" and I always gravitate directly toward it.

Some of the nicest looking drums I've EVER seen, and I'm not a Yamaha pearson.

I am a bit leary about the whole no gaskets between the very nice lugs and georgeous lacquer though. Dont know why, I just cant do it.

Big Foot

Silver Member
The thing w/oak is that it's hard but still has an open grain. If you've ever worked w/oak and maple (sugar/rock/hard whatever) the type used in quality drums. You'll see that they're both super hard but you'll notice the grain in the oak is quite porous. I'm sure this has a lot to do with the sound.
The janka scale puts oak somewhere between hard maple and birch. From my experience, I find oak (red & white) to be closer to maple then the birch.

http://www.advantagelumber.com/janka.htm

MJ14

They sound great and the black looks amazing, you have to get kind of close to see it really but once you do they're beautiful drums! I play one for one of the bands I'm in.

W

wy yung

I just bought an Oak custom kit, 10, 12" mounted toms, 14 and 16" floor toms and a 22" kick. The reason I bought these drums was a session back in 2010. The fastest, easiest sound check in all my years.

Are the drums louder than others? IMO no. In fact the kick is quiet. At least compared to every other high end kit. But as I bought my kit for its ability to communicate to microphones, volume is not an issue.

The drums offer a short decay. Not the most resonant drums I have played. They can sound thin with a single ply clear head. Coated heads warm them considerably. As do 2 ply heads.
The beauty is no dampening is necessary.

They are also light to carry. Another reason why I chose mine.

As for a comparrison with bubinga drums? I only own Tama bubingas and they are far more powerful than the Yamahas.

Big Foot

Silver Member
Comparing my oaks 12,14,&20 against 2 kits I just sold - 80's Tama Superstars birch 12,15,22 + GMS maple 12,14&18.
I agree with Wy on them not being any louder then other drums and they do sound better w/ 2ply coated skins.
But, compared to similar sizes they were heavier then the birch and the maple. I actually found the suspended 14" floor tom to be choking the sound on the YESS system because it was so heavy. So I put floor tom legs on it and it sounded much better.

W

wy yung

I hope I am not mistaken in thing the drums were light. I feel the need to pick them up but they aren't here!

Mr Foot you have me worried. :)

Ian

Silver Member
I love my oaks. To me, they have the punch and cut of bubinga but are higher pitched. I don't find them receptive to thick heads and I don't think their tuning range is as wide as some other drums, but they sound great through and through.

The oak bass drum (esp the 24") is a thing of beauty.

W

wy yung

Don't the shells smell gorgeous too when you take the heads off.

cowgard

I agree with Wy on them not being any louder then other drums and they do sound better w/ 2ply coated skins.
But, compared to similar sizes they were heavier then the birch and the maple. I actually found the suspended 14" floor tom to be choking the sound on the YESS system because it was so heavy. So I put floor tom legs on it and it sounded much better.
I don't own any solid oak drums but I bought a set of Ludwig Keystones(maple sandwiched in oak) a while back and they are heavier than my Premier Artist Birch and Artist Maples but to my ear they do seem to be louder also. David