Yamaha Maple Custom Questions

ZLeyba

Hey guys, i'm doing some research for a customer of mine. He's got a Maple custom from about 15 years ago and he's looking for a new floor tom. he's really peculiar about the thickness of shells. i heard that at one time yamaha was making them in different thicknesses than they have been recently. anyone have any insight on what exactly the difference between the customs and absolute? also does any body know if you can still order Maple Customs? i don't see them on the sight, and the yamaha rep i talked to wasn't very clear as to weather the drum she quoted me for was a custom or and absolute custom.

anyways thank you all for your time!

-zach

slingerlandfreak

I think that you can not order more Maple Custom, they make now new PHX line,correct me if i am wrong.
Absolute series are available with new hook lugs.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Hey guys, i'm doing some research for a customer of mine. He's got a Maple custom from about 15 years ago and he's looking for a new floor tom. he's really peculiar about the thickness of shells. i heard that at one time yamaha was making them in different thicknesses than they have been recently. anyone have any insight on what exactly the difference between the customs and absolute? also does any body know if you can still order Maple Customs? i don't see them on the sight, and the yamaha rep i talked to wasn't very clear as to weather the drum she quoted me for was a custom or and absolute custom.

anyways thank you all for your time!

-zach
Maple Custom is now a collectors item, can't order it, Yamaha is 'over it'.

http://www.yamaha.com/drums/drumproductdetail.html?CNTID=546748

Attachments

ZLeyba

does anybody know if they changed the ply configurations over time? cause i seem to remember 9-ply floor toms.

also i spoke to a yamaha rep last night and he said its a possibility that i can custom order (ironic considering the title of the drum) one. so we'll see on monday when i get the call back what the real scoop is.

i think yamaha may be a little more open to customs and legacy drums than they used to be

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
does anybody know if they changed the ply configurations over time? cause i seem to remember 9-ply floor toms.

also i spoke to a yamaha rep last night and he said its a possibility that i can custom order (ironic considering the title of the drum) one. so we'll see on monday when i get the call back what the real scoop is.

i think yamaha may be a little more open to customs and legacy drums than they used to be
So the rep said "its a possibility" which means even he doesn't know for sure.

If you do order, it'd be intere$ting to see how much they're charging.

ZLeyba

just got off the phone with the yamaha rep
he said we can order it, but its gonna have a 15% upcharge.

so for all you who want Maple Custom add on toms HURRY!!!! they can still make them for you.

also can anyone clarify weather or not they ever had thicker than 7-ply shells on their floor toms?

resacacesar

Well i tried to order a maple custom (not absolute) and they said that its not posible anymore, so if some of you knows who is selling a yamaha maple custom 24 bass drum in black stain finish (gold lugs of course) let me know and for zleyba the 9 plys are on bass drums other toms where 7plys, you can find a 18 bass drum modified to be a floor tom and that will have 9 plys