Yamaha Color Mixing? Cherry Wood (RC) and Cranberry Red (SC)

barryabko

Hi All,

Have any of you done a side-by-side comparison of these two colors?:

Yamaha Cherry Wood (Recording Custom 1980s)
and
Yamaha Cherry Wood (Stage Custom - the earlier version with full length lugs)

The photos of both of those colors on the internet vary a lot - from a fairly dark reddish tone to bright red so I really can't compare that way.

I have a 1980s Recording Custom kit in Cherry Wood but want to add more pieces for various gig configurations and it would make buying choices a lot easier if the two colors above are pretty close.

Thanks!

Barry

drumhammerer

Silver Member
I think the recording custom cherry is a solid finish (no wood grain showing), and the stage custom is a stain finish (plus a little darker), so they will likely not match too closely if that's the case. Hell, some of the finishes in the same series don't always match, especially the stains, which vary based on the wood color. However, at least they both have the long lugs, and are red, so they won't be THAT far off.

barryabko

Thanks for your reply. The Recording Custom Cherry Wood is a stain that is lacquered. The grain does show.

Since originally starting this thread I have seen the modern Stage Custom Cranberry Red (with split lugs) in a store and it is a significantly "brighter" red than the RCs so it wouldn't match very well. Does anyone know if the older Stage Custom (with the long, one piece lugs) is darker than the current Cranberry Red?

Also, I've seen some older Yamaha catalogs with a "Red Wood" color listed that looks pretty close to the "Cherry Wood". Anyone know about that color?

Thanks!

P.S. I am currently looking for a Yamaha 18" drum (kick or floor tom) in birch that will match the 1980s Recording Custom Cherry Wood as closely as possible. Please let me know if you know about one for sale.

drumhammerer

Silver Member
actually, I just saw an older long lugged stage custom on ebay, and it is the typical cherry stain finish of the time, so I actually think they would be pretty close with the r.c.'s. And yeah, the newer sc's are a funkier/brighter red, and the nouveaus are a darker, more maroonish/blackish red, whereas the old long lugged ones are in between (darker than the current one for sure), so none of the newer finishes would match the r.c.'s. Personally, I like the original cherry finish the best, and the longer lugs will match the r.c.'s anyway, so it's a win/win situation.

here's an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SWEET-Yamaha-Stage-Custom-Advantage-Cranberry-Red-Lacquer-Drum-Set-W-Hardware-/181409895696?pt=US_Drums&hash=item2a3cdf5510

'84 recording custom
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-1984-custom-recording-series-drums-/291142922878?pt=US_Drums&hash=item43c978727e