yamaha absolute maple nouveau vs DW Performance

drumofo

I have a Yammie, just tried out my guitarist's DW Performance series, and they sounded awesomes. Here is what i got to say, sound wise:

Yammie vs. Performance
Kick Ok (front head w hole) vs. Awesome, better than the yammie (front head no hole)
Toms so-so vs. Thin close, but far, has a lot of tone

Both has EC2 and EMAD 2.

Overall, I'm thinking about switching to the performance series. It's a hard decision, that's why i need my Drummerworld's family for a second opinions. Thanks...

Last edited:

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Agreed!..a better comparison would be to the regular DW maple kit...
Not a good comparison, because a Collectors has re-rings.
Personally, I prefer the Performances straight shells better. Those are maple as well, same wood, same people making the shells, same edges with the same care.

What kind of Yamaha kit is it?

Edit: oops I see in the headline.... errp :-/

Last edited:

scorch whammin

Gold Member
His evaluation was based on sound. Not once did he reference custom sizes or fancy finishes. So explain to me how a "regular DW maple kit" would have been a better comparison?
My comment was in reference to what each series provides (with regards to options - different sizes & finishes available) a regular DW kit is going to align IMO more so with the MCAN....but also the performace series was at least initially marketed as a more intermediate/pro kit (i.e., an affordable DW)..in my mind that means its competition is more along the lines of other manufacturer's kits in this realm (tour custom, renown, etc..)...

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
More, or clearer info as to which drum sounds which way would help also.

The Yamaha has die cast aluminum hoops--that will make a difference.

The DW and Yammie shells themselves will be different because of the way the plies are laid up, & the edges are different also.

There's no magic to drilling holes, and both companies make nice shells & finishes.
I'm sure each kit, tuned up nice sound great.

I'd actually be more partial to the sound of the DW shells, but there's things that I like about the MCAN too. The lugs and those hoops look great, but I think the lug is a little close to the edge (just being nit-picky). Don't really like that YESS mount either.

Limited finishes, and sizes keep the cost down on the Performance, but I don't look at it as anything but a pro kit. It's priced to where MOST of DW's stuff should really be IMO.
Both make sizes I'd like, and I like the Ebony finish on the DW anyway, but if it was on both kits, I'd probably go with the DW Performance myself. Even over the higher priced Yamaha.
It'd just make a sound I like better.

A

audiotech

I wouldn't trade my Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute drums for any other, and I've probably played or owned most others out there. One thing I would definitely do would be to change the heads. Neither of those kits should have their sound stifled by muted heads.

Dennis

aydee

Platinum Member

I am your alter ego. I went to buy a DW Performance series, and came back with a Yammie MCAN. Thrilled.

Last edited:

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Comparing a bass drum with full reso vs. one with a hole is utterly pointless. As for sound quality, they're pretty close IMO, but the Yamaha edges it. If the switch to the DW will cost you money, I'd be struggling to find a reason to proceed. The Yammie's aluminium hoops are enough to justify keeping the kit alone!

uniin

Gold Member
i think the yammy takes the cake with ease.... in my opinion shouldn't be comparing that to a DW performance.

A

audiotech

About four years ago my choices came down to a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute or a Tama Starclassic Bubinga. I bought the Tama, four months latter, I bought the runner up. In my opinion, the Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute set of drums is very hard to surpass, it's just at home at any venue.

Dennis

wildbill

Platinum Member
Yammie vs. Performance
Kick Ok (front head w hole) vs. Awesome, better than the yammie (front head no hole)
Toms so-so vs. Thin close, but far, has a lot of tone

So, you only like the kick better? Maybe try what others here said, change the heads. Sometimes they can make a big difference.
If you still don't like it as much with different heads, you could just get the kick drum and keep the rest of what you have.