Wow, Neil Peart kinda sucks...

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Because this has been discussed before and I won't enter the debate on drummer merit, I did see an article or interview where Neil admitted he was out of his comfort zone. I will leave it at that.

P

plangentmusic

Actually, that's when I discovered Rush for the first time too. Both A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres had the cleanest drum sounds I'd ever heard. Up until I saw their movie I didn't know they were always trying to get everything tracked in one take, until they ran up against La Villa Strangiato when they admitted they recorded it in three sections! All that stuff they've recorded prior to that was done in one take? Incredible!

I was doing a recording of YYZ (playing all the parts) and realized there are quite a few spices along the way. As a producer I'm forgiving of that for no other reason other than sometimes, it's just a matter of getting it done and saving time. Obviously, once it's recorded and played 100 times, it's not as much of an issue performing it live.

I had to abort my version of YYZ because, even though I got the parts down, the feel just wasn't feeling organic. (Due to playing the parts separately -- even though that works 90% of the time).

Oddly enough, it's recorded to a click, so you'd think everything would lock in, but that's the difference between a band that works together as a band and a group like Steely Dan who use a patchwork approach.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Well, Cathy Rich had certainely seen something into Neil Peart's views on drumming for the project tribute for her father.

Here's a couple vids where Cathy and especially Neil talk about this project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfO9NHIH7MY&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EixIG760Xv8&feature=relmfu

Come on, give the man a break...He might suck but he is a wealthy drummer.

Enjoy this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlnS-ViVte0&feature=related
Not only is a wealthy drummer, but he's an iconic drummer too, some of his drumming style is copied by millions of drummers worldwide, and back in the days of the albums like 2112, A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres, he had some influences on my playing, he's one of the greats, there's no doubt about it.

Incidently Ian, there's an interview where Neil Peart discuss the Dancing Man clip, he's commenting upon Simon's performance and approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIjQuaWWXjY&feature=channel&list=UL

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
that is a great song

good memories listening to that record ....gonna go listen right now

thanks for reminding me of that tune
Actually, that's when I discovered Rush for the first time too. Both A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres had the cleanest drum sounds I'd ever heard. Up until I saw their movie I didn't know they were always trying to get everything tracked in one take, until they ran up against La Villa Strangiato when they admitted they recorded it in three sections! All that stuff they've recorded prior to that was done in one take? Incredible!

P

plangentmusic

I do. Maybe solution to somebody who "sucks" is you just throw out your Rush records, keep listening to other drummers and.... keep typing dude.
Lame. Try harder.

MikeM

Platinum Member
Yeah, had to have me a little Hemispheres listen just now. There is no number of jazz standards that Peart can butcher that'll ever have me thinking that he sucks, or ever did suck. That whole La Villa Strangiato 4 minute guitar solo breakdown section in the middle is brilliant both in concept and in feel. I love that drumming!

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Don't know about anyone else, but all this talk just made go back & listen to "Cygnus X-1 Book 2" [Hemispheres].... clearly Neil playing without a click & with dynamics & touch & amazing creativity. It's one of my all-time favourite drum performances.

That tune swings too... You don't have to play in a big band to swing.
It was me playing that opening riff on my legs that convinced my mother to sign me up for drum lessons.

A

Anthony Amodeo

Don't know about anyone else, but all this talk just made go back & listen to "Cygnus X-1 Book 2" [Hemispheres].... clearly Neil playing without a click & with dynamics & touch & amazing creativity. It's one of my all-time favourite drum performances.

that is a great song

good memories listening to that record ....gonna go listen right now

thanks for reminding me of that tune

richkenyon

Silver Member

Kg_lee

We all look up to Neil as this great drummer cause that's how we have all praised him on his accomplishments with Rush. Neil is a rock drummer. I'm sure if most of us would play with Rush we would never come close to what Neil does. I think we could all go through his motions and play all the notes but we would never have the same feel. So Neils not a Jazz player.. he doesn't need to be, he's just an awesome drummer!

B

Balto

I agree, Sticks. A thread entirely devoted to bashing NP. Nice.

Have I said one derogatory thing about Jazz this whole time? No. I just don't talk about it.

So NP had a bad night. We all have an off night here and there. I haven't seen this video, but even if I had, I wouldn't start a thread just to tell everyone how much it sucked. Plus the chance to get Sticks going again.
It's threads like this that prove JG from DW right.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I agree, Sticks. A thread entirely devoted to bashing NP. Nice.

Have I said one derogatory thing about Jazz this whole time? No. I just don't talk about it.

So NP had a bad night. We all have an off night here and there. I haven't seen this video, but even if I had, I wouldn't start a thread just to tell everyone how much it sucked. Plus the chance to get Sticks going again.

B

Balto

This place is very strange. I don't understand all the hate. The man is a master!