WOW !! Beautiful Supras and Acros for sale

johnwesley

Silver Member
Looking for a super classy Supraphonic or Acrolite, there's a seller on ebay and reverb that has some beauties. Instead of the dime a dozen stock shells and hardware, this guy customizes the shells with what looks to be powder coating in a variety of colors. All hardware is polished to a brilliant shine and the drums look brand new. Some are a bit pricey, but man oh man they're beautiful. Any of you seen them? Worth a look if you're looking for aluminum and specifically Supra. He even has 6 1/2s with tube lugs. I found one I'm considering in what he calls copper vein. An absolute beauty.
BTW......I'm not affiliated with or representing the guy in any way. I just like to pass along cool stuff. And these are really cool. I also am not nor have I ever been drawn to the Supra or Acro line, but these....Wow.

IBitePrettyHard

Interesting coating, just like the Gretsch powder coated hardware.

I'd be interested to hear how they sound. I suspect the highs will be more muted, which is something I really like about Supras.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
He's been selling these on eBay for a long time. I'm guessing he gets gosh-awful trashed dime-a-dozen shells for next to nothing and then re-coats them like this for a few dollars and then $marks them up $$$hundreds of dollars$$$ over his cost. Cool idea but I don't want one. He sells Acro's for almost $400. Why do I want a corrupted Acro for $400 or more when I can get a mint original for much less than that. And Supras almost $600?? No thanks I'll buy one of the several excellent condition original Supras on eBay and Reverb now for under $400.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I would think he would have to etch it for any coating to take hold? He does make them look great, but I'd like to see a breakdown of his costs compared to his profit. Seems it weighs heavy the later.

trickg

Silver Member
I bet he's doing ok - he probably does the coating himself with stuff he already has because it's probably part of his business. I'd guess he's finding really cruddy COL Supras (weren't they notorious for the chrome plating bubbling and flaking off?) that he's getting on the cheap, so he cleans them up, turning them into very cool looking drums, and flips them for a profit. That's what I'd do.

johnwesley

Silver Member
He's been selling these on eBay for a long time. I'm guessing he gets gosh-awful trashed dime-a-dozen shells for next to nothing and then re-coats them like this for a few dollars and then $marks them up $$$hundreds of dollars$$$ over his cost. Cool idea but I don't want one. He sells Acro's for almost $400. Why do I want a corrupted Acro for $400 or more when I can get a mint original for much less than that. And Supras almost $600?? No thanks I'll buy one of the several excellent condition original Supras on eBay and Reverb now for under $400.
You may be right about what he's doing but not sure about your "corrupted" comment. I'd much rather have a non-flaking Supra in a one of a kind color with new hardware any day. Then again I've never been so anal as to steer away from a great drum because it doesn't have the original t-rods, lug screws, etc. I also gave an aversion to having the same snare drum as a million other guys.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Depends. If you're buying to gig, then who cares what it looks like you just want it to work and be reliable. You can find Acros and Supras to do that for way less $$$ and they'll sound fantastic.

If you want it for collecting purposes, you want it original and as mint as possible (as original and mint as you can afford lol).

These don't fit either purpose. And, they're more expensive than either. You can buy a mint Acro or Supra original mint for less. They're just a useless over-inflated item IMHO. But if there's a market for them, then hey more power wish I had thought of it.

You may be right about what he's doing but not sure about your "corrupted" comment. I'd much rather have a non-flaking Supra in a one of a kind color with new hardware any day. Then again I've never been so anal as to steer away from a great drum because it doesn't have the original t-rods, lug screws, etc. I also gave an aversion to having the same snare drum as a million other guys.

dwsabianguy

I got something similar with some DWs I picked up off of craigslist; I think it was originally a Supraphonic, as it was a 5x14 with ten lugs, but it had been powdercoated speckle gray and outfitted with bowtie lugs. It was a cool snare, but it always felt kind of dull. It got traded for a COB Supra reissue of the same size, which is much more my style.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Chrome on copper on aluminium in an oxygen rich humid environment is going to 'eventually' self destruct.

When it finally happens, the options are...

Leave it as is / ugly
Restore it and wait for it to happen again.
Recycle and convert it.

I view the Supracolor and being the latter, and applaud his efforts, despite my overwhelming preference for stock/unmodified vintage gear.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Here's the copper vein I'm looking at.....
That's a beauty, John. I understand why you'd want to have it.

In my view, if you want something and feel the price is fair, GET IT. Those shells are not "corrupted" in any way. The seller had to put a lot of work into them. As pointed out, the shell had to be cleaned of the old finish, prepped for the new, then the new applied. And you can bet that the gleaming new gold lugs were not on it when he bought it, either. And, have you priced gold-plated CAST hoops? At that price, I'd doubt that the guy is making $100 for his profit. Not enough to justify the labor. (And for anybody who doubts this, try building one like that for yourself. It only LOOKS easy!)

GeeDeeEmm