Would you cut down a 20x18?

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I have this 20x18 Saturn bass drum. I technically got it for free since the reso bearing edge was damaged in transit (doesnt seem to affect the sound). It has the Tom mount which looks as though it would need to be removed as the long tubes run almost the whole length of the kick. I think that would mean I'd need to order 4 new lugs?

I have a small car and I am not really keen on selling it.. So I thought if I cut this bass drum down it may fit in the back seat.

The drum makes an awesome thump using ps3's (unported) but it gets muddy when I start playing double bass. I have a blanket in there.

I play rock and funk and some double kick.

Would you do it? How shallow would you go? What should I be paying if so?

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
If you're really keen on keeping it, and the bearing edge is shot, then yes...cut it down to 20x14. Prices will vary based on the person cutting it down and redoing the edges...

evilg99

Platinum Member
Hell yeah, I would cut it down in a heartbeat.
Make that...I would hire someone who really knows what they are doing to cut it down.

I cut down my MCAN 22 x 18 to a 22 x 14...and that was a $1400 bass drum. Turned out exactly as I had hoped.

Here is that thread:
http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96799&highlight=cut+down+my+mcan

If you're gonna bother to cut it, go to at least a 20 x14.
There are other factors involved with how shallow you go...which side does the 4" come off of...2" off both sides? 4" off one? 3/1 etc, etc

What does that do to the spurs/mounts/vents/lugs?

I've never seen a Saturn with those long lugs, (you mean the Recording Custom/ Pearl/Premier type of high tension full length lugs?) - and I'm confused as to why you would only need 4 new lugs and not 8 ?

Best,
Neal

Last edited:

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
If you don't care what it looks like, how about finding a 20x14 shell on eBay and just switching out hardware? There are also alot of orphan drums out there, maybe you could find an entire drum so you can do an A/B comparison.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Thanks for the answers so far.

I've never seen a Saturn with those long lugs, (you mean the Recording Custom/ Pearl/Premier type of high tension full length lugs?) - and I'm confused as to why you would only need 4 new lugs and not 8 ?

Best,
Neal
The mount is on top of the bass drum and attached to the top two lugs at both the front and rear. I haven't had the most thorough look at it but I believe the tubes that connect the mount and lugs are all one piece, so it would be easier to go without it as it would be too long for the cut down drum.

I have a 22x16 Saturn bass drum also, I think I might be able to swap the parts between the two.

As I said the drum sounds fine so I can't really use that as an excuse.

Would I be losing much power and volume?

Bo - things are a bit scarce in Australia, there just isn't as much stuff floating around on eBay (locally).

evilg99

Platinum Member

The mount is on top of the bass drum and attached to the top two lugs at both the front and rear. I haven't had the most thorough look at it but I believe the tubes that connect the mount and lugs are all one piece, so it would be easier to go without it as it would be too long for the cut down drum.

I have a 22x16 Saturn bass drum also, I think I might be able to swap the parts between the two.

As I said the drum sounds fine so I can't really use that as an excuse.

Would I be losing much power and volume?

Bo - things are a bit scarce in Australia, there just isn't as much stuff floating around on eBay (locally).
Ahh yes I know what you mean now about the mount/lugs.

I don't think you'd lose much power or volume, perhaps a bit.
What I got was a faster punchier sound but it also has boatloads of tone. A longer 'note' due to the reso head being much more involved in the sound, being 4" closer. And that is even with a ported reso, although NO other padding in the drum.

With the shallower drum , there will be less harmonic overtones ...but there is a stronger fundamental note.

After I cut it down, mine sounds so good that I also love to use it as a side/ remote bass drum (a la Stanton Moore) when I play my smaller 16" or 18" kicks. Tune it up higher and don't bury the beater....wonderful attack followed by a beautiful boooooooom. Like a well tuned marching bass drum.

Neal

Red Menace

Platinum Member
I always knew I liked you Evil99...

if anyone has read the nonsence that I smear all over this place then you'd know that I am all about modding your drums.

My main kit is a Yamaha SC with a 24x14 kick that was sliced down from 24x17. Much more clarity to the sound now and I just love that look too. A buddy of mine just complimented how clean my doubles on the kick sound.

My next victim will be a brand new Drumcraft Series 8 that's 20x18. I'm not sure why anyone would want a 20" kick in such a depth but where my faith in the drum company fails be hold the miracle of the drum-guy. Find youself a good, reliable one. Mine is named Kevin but you can call your whatever you want. Might have to go 13.75" to clear all the original holes but you could always have you guy dowel them.

I warn you though, much like tattoos, donuts in the breakroom and flings with the neighboor's wife moddifying your drums can be addictive.

evilg99

Platinum Member
I always knew I liked you Evil99...

if anyone has read the nonsence that I smear all over this place then you'd know that I am all about modding your drums.

My main kit is a Yamaha SC with a 24x14 kick that was sliced down from 24x17. Much more clarity to the sound now and I just love that look too. A buddy of mine just complimented how clean my doubles on the kick sound.

My next victim will be a brand new Drumcraft Series 8 that's 20x18. I'm not sure why anyone would want a 20" kick in such a depth but where my faith in the drum company fails be hold the miracle of the drum-guy. Find youself a good, reliable one. Mine is named Kevin but you can call your whatever you want. Might have to go 13.75" to clear all the original holes but you could always have you guy dowel them.

I warn you though, much like tattoos, donuts in the breakroom and flings with the neighboor's wife moddifying your drums can be addictive.
Haha, I love it, cheers Red Menace!
Be sure to post before and after pics of your next 'victim' :)

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Agree with 20x14, or whatever is closest that won't involve exposed holes if possible. Definitely get a pro to do the work and show you which resulting size works best.

Bermuda

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Ah. I didn't consider your location. My apologies.

However, you do have a Mapex Saturn. Isn't that enough?

;)

bigiainw

Gold Member

The tubes come out of the lugs easily, so you can either replace the 4 lugs or, as many do, simply swap them for those that are out of sight at the bottom of the drum when in playing position. Ot you can simply shorten the rods and refit the tom mount if you still want to use it.

My decision to shorten or not would be based on the finish of the shell- some of the saturn burst finishes would look a bit strange and uneven after. The other thought is have you experimented with heads and different dampning. I have a 22x20 saturn bass drum. I play with no muffling in the drum, just a remo ps pro head (the one with the foam muffling ring) and 2 falam slams where the beaters contact the head. The shell also has a kelly shu mount with the mic peranently in place. Lots of wet slap and definition there, certainly not muddy in any way. If you do go the route of reducing the shell depth, unless you are sure you have the skills, get someone who definately does know to do it for you. They are too expensive for taking a pot shot!

motleyh

I'll chime in for Yes, cut it down, and Yes, 14 x 20. You will gain tone and response without any sacrifice of pitch. And the "punch" you'd lose would be mainly from the player's perspective, not what the audience hears.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
That would be pretty strange... I wonder how that would sound! :O
I'm joking :) Entirely viable bass drum depth IMO, but not in this case. It takes a very special construction to retain sonic balance on such a shallow drum. Agree with all - 22" x 14" is a great size.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
A 14" deep bass drum really does give you planty clarity and punch.Ginger Baker played 22x11 and 20x11 bass drums while with Cream,and his bass druma always had great depth and punch.

Steve B

wildbill

Platinum Member
Would you cut down a 20x18?

I have this 20x18 Saturn bass drum. I technically got it for free...

Under those circumstances - yes, I'd do it.

I have a couple 20 x 17's. I'd prefer 14" (or shallower) depth, but I don't want to cut them down because I bought them new.
If I were going to do it, I'd look for a more inexpensive used one.