Wood Snare

bradmapex

I am thinking about getting a new snare, and im wondering what to get. I want wood, and im leaning towards Maple. I want something that can be tuned down for a nice fat back beat, then wat up for a funky crack. Price range is not somethin cheap, but not way out there, so i guess about 450 maybe 500 TOPS but under would be better. I was looking at the Yamaha Steve Jordan, any thoughts on that or somthing else. Thanks
b r a d .

Cottontop

I am thinking about getting a new snare, and im wondering what to get. I want wood, and im leaning towards Maple. I want something that can be tuned down for a nice fat back beat, then wat up for a funky crack. Price range is not somethin cheap, but not way out there, so i guess about 450 maybe 500 TOPS but under would be better. I was looking at the Yamaha Steve Jordan, any thoughts on that or somthing else. Thanks
b r a d .
you should check out the new tama starphonic in maple or bubinga

those look freakin sweet. the auluminum version is on my list

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Played on a friends 5.5 x 13 maple Pork Pie the other night. Very versatile drum. But my 5 x 14 Gretsch Fullrange maple has more of that gospel crack to it. Haven't tried tuning it down low, I have an old maple Ludwig with a Legacy head I use for that, but it may work out okay down there. Shell is kind of thin 10 ply.

RKTopper

$500. . you maybe able to have a custom company make the snare of your dreams. . I would recomend Truth. . .They just recently made me a 9 x 13 african mahogany snare. . thing is amazing. . very unique. . I play a church so i needed some crack, but i also love some body. . Truth pulled it off flawlessly. . .Check em out. . .you can see the snare on the truth website. . .

RogerLudwig

Ludwig Classic Maple LS403 6.5 x 14

you can custom order it and select the hoops (die-cast or triple-flanged), throw-off and lugs you'd like

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
The Steve Jordan has a HUGE crack, but I never heard anyone tune it down to get a bigger sound out of it. Being that it's 13" It might only sound good tuned up.

I just got a new maple snare made from Peace.
It's 14" x 7" 9ply Canadian Rock Maple.

When tuned up right it gives you a perfect balance between that big rock sound and a high end crack.

bradmapex

I researched the Steve Jordan and relized that it is a 4ply with 6ply reinforcements. Would the 4ply be too weak for the stres of rock or would it be strong enough. And i know how to hit a drum, but sometimes when i'm in the zone i hit little harder than i should, but i dont beat my drums, i love them ahah. thanks

drumhammerer

Silver Member
4 ply is a little thin, but it'll hold up, especially with the re-rings. I find with the thinner shells, you don't have to hit them as hard to get a good sound anyway.

JimboJim

You can't go wrong with a DW Maple 10&6 or VLT. There are a number on eBay right now, both new and used for under $500. Sizes anywhere from 14x5 to 14x7.

I own a 14x6 10&6 and it's a workhorse.

bilkay

I own a lot of snare drums, both wood and metal. I purchased all but one used, and they range from the very inexpensive Ludwig Acrolite to the very expensive Craviotto Timeless Timber.

In your price range, I think a used Yamaha Elvin Jones signature snare drum may be the best choice. It sounds great at all tunings. If you shop eBay patiently, I think you could get one for between $400 and $500.

On the other hand, there are a lot of folks who could build you a drum using a Vaughncraft one-ply steambent shell. I own drums built with Vaughncraft shells and they are outstanding instruments. If you decide to work on a custom build, I suggest you buy the shell when Vaughncraft is clearing some out. Here's the current shell inventory- http://www.vaughncraft.com/inventory.php If you need to find a builder, look here- http://www.ghostnote.net/vbforum/index.php

Here is my 7X14 Vaughncraft cherry drum, built by Jim Walker-

Finally, I also think the Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute snare drums are terrific. I think the shells are the basis for many of the Yamaha signature snare drums. And Yamaha's lacquer finishes are the best. Here's my 7X14 Maple Custom Absolute in Midnight Sparkle-

And the picture doesn't do the finish justice.

Chonson

If you're looking at DW I'd suggest 6+6 vs 10+6 - in my experience (and to my ear) it's a little more open on the low end and, at least on the ones I've played, can tune just a little bit lower. The 10+6 has a great crack but the 6+6 is more versatile.

Outside the DW - I would look for a Ludwig Legacy Classic snare - maple plus poplar, they get a nice kind of beefy thuddy crack. Great sound. Love 'em.

You may also want to look into a Musashi. Not maple and maybe not the most versatile across all styles, but they're inexpensive and have worked for a lot of people. I'd check 6.5x13.