Will deep bass drums ever make a comeback?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
My theory as to why fast tom sizes are taking over..... they sound deeper and fuller than shells from 15-20 years ago. 12x8 is the new 12x9 thanks to better shell construction.

What are relic'd finishes? Weathered or pre-aged finishes?
Really how about a drum set made of old rough barn board.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Complete with pitting and rust!

If I leave my Dynasonic in the rain so it looks like this will its value now increase? Have I been doing it wrong? Is this for lazy people who don't like to clean (their instruments)? I've never understood this concept at all.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Complete with pitting and rust!

If I leave my Dynasonic in the rain so it looks like this will its value now increase? Have I been doing it wrong? Is this for lazy people who don't like to clean (their instruments)? I've never understood this concept at all.
Likewise.

I prefer old, worn jeans, their cotton softened by use. And shoes that have become formed to my feet, complete with scuffs and scrapes. Shirts, not so much, same with undies. When I see a “weathered” drum, all I can think of is my first pawn shop kit gifted to me when I was 12. It rusted within days ‘cuz I lived on the beach in SoCal. The cheap Zyn cymbals turned green. The stands rusted and pitted. The lugs of the Slingerland bass & tom turned brown with rust. And the cheap Taiwan COS snare looked like a drum with rusty measles. (Yes, I learned to clean this kit, but only after a few years of ownership).

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I DO like copper-ish snare shells with a patina on them, it's the finishes that look like neglect that bother me.

First, I think musical instruments should look beautiful and be well maintained. Second, why would I want to buy something that has fake neglect, when I could just neglect it myself?

With distressed guitars you're buying the superficial appearance of having had a more interesting musical career than you really have, which is already pretty lame, but with distressed drums, you're buying the superficial appearance of not giving a crap about your instrument, and I just. Don't. Get. It.

And to Larry; sorry 'bout the thread drift...

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I still like my 20x26 for all the reasons I liked it in 2007 when I got it. I get much more out of it than just the looks of it for the show.
I'm preferring the 16x26 and 16x24(s) I have more these days tho.
Main gigging bass drum for the main band is now an 18x26.
If I had a Red Sparkle 16x26, I would use that.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
I can't imagine myself lugging a 26x20" ! Or worst, trying to get it through my basement door or fit it in my car, both thing that would be impossible : since I'm European : small house, small doors and medium car :-D !
How about the weight of that thing ?

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I can't imagine myself lugging a 26x20" ! Or worst, trying to get it through my basement door or fit it in my car, both thing that would be impossible : since I'm European : small house, small doors and medium car :-D !
They don’t fit any better in the US either, unless you live in a barn and drive to gigs on a tractor.

JosephDAqui

Silver Member
Here ya go - the band is Rahway, good friends of ours. The drummer using custom depth kick - I don't even know the measurements, it's just damn huge, which matches their sound.

Frank

Gold Member
They will never make a comeback with me. I exclusively play shallow 18" bass drums. Small and efficient for the win for me.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Actually, the whole kit fits in my Kia Soul!!
65600854_10156344188110753_6654712234972807168_o.jpg
The weight is a few pounds more than a 16x26, but it IS a noticeable difference compared to a 16x24.
If I don't use a 3rd floor tom, someone could ride in the front seat. If I use the kit with the 3rd floor tom, the snare case is in that spot.
I was actually shocked that the bass drum fit depth-wise with the other drums where they go with a shorter bass drum, or the 16x24.

This shot was from our last show, and it was very likely the last one with that bass drum.
I've used it since '07, and I was "all in" with it, but, I'm just feeling something different ....so I went down to an 18" depth hahaha!
If I had a 16x26 in RS I'd use that all the time though.
I'll be using the 16x24 with this set up also--what ever I am feeling at the time.

donzo74

IMO, 24x14 is the perfect rock n roll bass drum size, but a 22x18 is a close second. I've always liked 22" bass drums in depths from 16" - 18". Most of the time, 16" depth would be enough but I haven't ever felt like 18" depth was too much. I have never owned a 22" bass less that 16" deep and the 14" basses I have played on other's kits didn't quite have enough oompf for me. I have had two sets with a 20" BD's and they were both 16" deep and sounded great. Of the two 24" kicks that I have had, I much preferred the 24x14 to the 24x18. The 24x18 had a huge sound but it was too muddy for me and I thought it was way too much through a large, hi-end PA system with several subs and a large room. I probably could have muffled it a bit more but I really didn't like that whole drum set so I got rid of it and got one with a 24x14 that I like much better. The 24x14 has a perfect burly low note but a shortened decay that makes it the winner for me.

Skrivarna

Correct me if I am off here, but the deep bass drum craze...I'm pretty sure this is the first time in the hundred and twenty some odd years of the modern drum set, that set bass drums have gone that deep, like 18" and over. Open for corrections there.
They come and go, and is definitely not a new "craze". I bought my 20"x28" (note that 20" is the diameter, 28" is the depth) in the mid-80's.

I have since cut it down to 20"x20" (and this time you can read the numbers in any order you like...), because the monster wouldn't fit in my car otherwise. Still use it and it still sounds great, though it is not the drum I bring to most gigs. Actually, I built a second BD out of the excess 8" which is part of my "lightweight" kit, and probably used more.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
They come and go, and is definitely not a new "craze". I bought my 20"x28" (note that 20" is the diameter, 28" is the depth) in the mid-80's.

I have since cut it down to 20"x20" (and this time you can read the numbers in any order you like...), because the monster wouldn't fit in my car otherwise. Still use it and it still sounds great, though it is not the drum I bring to most gigs. Actually, I built a second BD out of the excess 8" which is part of my "lightweight" kit, and probably used more.
It would have been a great depth to go twin bass drum instead ! ;-)