will a 20" club date bass drum ( with rail consolette) fit in a 20" case?

mikeo

i have ordered a new ludwig club date. i also ordered a set of protection racket bags for them... then i got to thinking about the handle for the rail consolette on the bass drum... will that make it too tight for the 20" bag?... if anyone knows that would be great

Milt Hathaway

The handle will fit, but you'll have to remove at least the upright portion of the mount. You can leave the clamp portion on the rail.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Depends on the rail... and the age of the case.

The old rails folded down fairly snugly against the shell, and slid nicely into the bag or case, which were also a little smaller back in the day.

Today's Ludwig/Gibraltar rail mount does not fold down, and needs to be removed before putting it in a bag or case. UNLESS you have a case with a flat bottom (think inverted U shape) and can turn the drum so the rail fits down the extra space of the squared corner. At least I think that will work.

In general, today's cases & bags are a bit larger than30+ years ago, due to beefier legs and tom mounts. So a new case for an old drum will often result in a loose fit.

Bermuda

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
The old rails folded down fairly snugly against the shell, and slid nicely into the bag or case, which were also a little smaller back in the day.

Today's Ludwig/Gibraltar rail mount does not fold down, and needs to be removed before putting it in a bag or case.
Thanks mate. It appears I was living in the past.

mikeo

thanks guys, that puts my mind to rest... i have never had drum cases before, so i wasn't sure how snug they fit... anyhow i am looking forward to receiving my new club dates... i am hoping they will be an upgrade from my current greatsch club jazz, which i have not been real impressed by