Wierd Al Beatles

newoldie

Silver Member
Love it!! It is pretty clear sounding and I thought at first it sounded like it was recorded recently.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I remember my third-grade class singing "Eat It" to our lunchlady in 1983 or 84. We practiced for weeks. I still remember those lyrics. LOL I find it bizarre and hilarious that fate brings me to discussing this album with you, 35 years later.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Wow, no wonder it sounds like it does. I figured you must have been going for the weird guitar sounds and overall tinny sound quality. When did the band start recording in studios?
This was done on Al's Portastudio, probably drums, guitar and bass on their own mono track, then bounced to the open track. Two tracks of percussion were added, and that was probably bounced to a now-open track. Vocals, and PacMan sfx, and probably bounced once again. then mixed to another deck. So there were a few generations.

The good news is, I have digital copies of the Portastudio master - at least the final incarnation - so this is the cleanest version that there can be. Sony bumped it up to 24/44 and did a little mastering magic.

3 months later on March 14, 1982, we were at Cherokee cutting the tracks that became most of the first album, with Steve Jay on bass, and Rick Derringer on guitar. All subsequent releases were done in proper studios. :)

Oh... Rick Derringer... caught trying to carry a gun on a plane... it all makes sense now!

Bermuda

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Actually, I am on that (although it was pre-Jim and Steve.) We recorded it in my brother's garage, Dec 12, 1981, with a bandmate of mine Joe Nipper on guitar, and bass player friend of his, Tim Matta. I think we cut it in less than one take. Not my best performance. :(

Bermuda
Wow, no wonder it sounds like it does. I figured you must have been going for the weird guitar sounds and overall tinny sound quality. When did the band start recording in studios?

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Actually, I am on that (although it was pre-Jim and Steve.) We recorded it in my brother's garage, Dec 12, 1981, with a bandmate of mine Joe Nipper on guitar, and bass player friend of his, Tim Matta. I think we cut it in less than one take. Not my best performance. :(

Bermuda