Why no love for Vintage Premier?

GrooveSuperfly

Thanks.
It took many hours in my coutch in front of TV with Autosol ( polish for chrome) that winter .
But hey, what else to do in Sweden in november,december, january, february and march?

Honest, I has lot of vintage drums ( Premier, Trixon/Vox, Sonor, Ludwig, Slingerland, Camco, and several Japanes ...)
And Premier actaly have BEST chrome of them all. (If itś stil same quality,on newer Premier sets, I do not know.)

And sound always as drums should.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
English manufacturers tended to use a higher voltage in the chroming process than other companies. English chrome of that period is of incredible quality.

Case in point - my John Gray bass drum. It's a 1950s vintage bass drum - a student model at that. The chrome work is still superb and although it has pitted very slightly it's still great to look at. Compare that to my 80s Exports and it's night and day. The drum that is thirty years older still has the better-looking hardware. Premier have the same trick.

GrooveSuperfly

Where do you get the idea that there is no love for vintage kits? Have you seen some of the vintage stuff guys own around here. Plenty of love for them.

In Sweden you can buye 3 vintage Premier kit instead of1 Ludwig kit from same era (no matter that they are often out of roundnes, pure chrome, often in worse shape too.)
But great for us who dont care that more famous drummer play Ludwig , instead of Premier. :). By the way, same with Sonor drums.Much cheaper than american "big" brands. But sound as well, or better,

(But when I one year later bought my Ludwig Psychedelic Red from 1969, for 500 Sek ( 90 $ / 40Euro ) , I didnt cry.!!!
:)

grunta57

Hi there people while we are on the subject of Premier Ludwig etc..can anybody please help me I'm confused a little regarding drum sizes (pre-international? and International).

I'm doing up a couple of old Super Aces and they seem to be around 353mm across (the right fit for a 14" International Sized head, and they come from the 50's and '60's. Are the snares different to the other drums in their sizing??

Also doing up a Ludwig Jazz Festival 5.5" x 14" and here I noticed too the shells are approx 354mm across (the same)..I sent for some replacement hoops and instead of getting 360mm (14") I got 370mm. Apparently these came from a marching snare. Anyone able to throw some light on this anomaly??

johnwesley

Silver Member
I don't believe the snares were anything but International size heads. I have a steel Royal Ace, I think it's the model 2000 and it takes regular 14" heads. It is the model with the flobeam parallel snares and it has slotted lugs. Was told it was a 1967 model.
BY THE WAY, if you're rebuilding, where can I get a snare to fit my drum? Do you know?

bigiainw

Gold Member
I don't believe the snares were anything but International size heads. I have a steel Royal Ace, I think it's the model 2000 and it takes regular 14" heads. It is the model with the flobeam parallel snares and it has slotted lugs. Was told it was a 1967 model.
BY THE WAY, if you're rebuilding, where can I get a snare to fit my drum? Do you know?
Not sure that the snares are available. Puresound used to produce compatible snares, but they seem to be discontinued. Try Nick Hopkins Drums in the UK http://www.nickhopkindrums.com/, they may be able to help, or UK Ebay?