Why is your kit set up like that?

TTNW

Pioneer Member
TTNW: Thanks for the kind words. I guess "small and simple" is fairly subjective. I just got the SPD-20 and have been experimenting with it lately, certainly not a must have. The rack however is a great timesaver, especially when playing in multi-band shows where you've got to get your stuff on and off the stage as quickly as possible. I've cut all the pieces down to less than 36" (the long front piece, joins with a coupler) so that it will fit in a small hardware bag. I guess it's all a compromise, unrestrained I would probably play a prototypical Metal kit (double bass, three up, two down, many more cymbals) like Portnoy's main set-up.

For anyone else interested in seeing my kit in action, I just posted some more drumcentric footage on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBK5_NgB1lI&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yXfsfWkDqE&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4-5Fsv6r_U&feature=channel
Well well. I watched all three vids carefully. First of all, you hold it all together. I watched all the others come back to you, phrase after phrase and land on the one, so it was obvious you carry the time. Nice hat work. Back and forth between sloshy and tight on the left side hats and driving hat beats on the right side hats with great crash riding on your main right side crash.

After watching all three videos, I think I'm going to go back to two left side crashes. It gives you such great change ups and choices. Very nice work. I'm going to do an 18 16 combo on my left side crashes for a while. Sounds awesome.

You play the five (4 piece) drum set really well. Especially with not having to over play your fills. I like the fact that you don't need the extra floor tom.

BTW, I noticed the nice double bass breakdown on the first vid. It was cool the way you set up the next verse.

All your cymbals are bright. Have you ever thought of mixing a booshy dark crash into your mix? It will give a little dirty trashy kind of feel to your "long accents" before transitions. Great sounds.

ChrisCirino

TTNW: Thanks again for the encouragement. I lust checked out your website and was duly impressed. We seemed to have very similar ideas about drums, cymbals and hardware. I have a hard time mixing brands as well. I wish I had the gumption to put something like that together. I noticed that you're original from the DC area. My family and I currently reside in Alexandria, VA while I serve my penance at The Pentagon. I plan on retiring in early 2011 and moving down to your current neck of the woods, Melbourne, FL specifically.

I've been playing the drums since I was 12 (I just turned 42) and have been in the Army since I was 17 (1985). I have never given up playing but have had several forced hiatus'. Since 9/11, I have spent 42 months deployed between Afghanistan and Iraq, which makes it very difficult to get and keep any real professional musical situations going. I have been lucky enough to find some other like-minded players and we have created this play when you can group. Of the guys in my recent videos, all but one are in the Army. We very rarely get to practice more than once a month and we managed to put on that little show with just 3 long Sundays under our belt. We have occasionally been able to play a real gig or two around our busy schedules.

I like your kit and have had mine set-up like that many times (8,10,12 up top). I just like my ride in a little closer and always go back to the 2 off-center. I agree with you about my cymbals. I chose to play a 17" A Custom Crash and a 17" A Custom Projection Crash on that day and they do seem a little biting. That third cymbal on my left is a 16" EFX, something I have grown to love. I usually have a mixture of my A's and some K Custom Hybrids, which I have already gone back to.

I grew up a hard rock and metal guy so this stuff isn't really a stretch for me. Personally I would like to play in a 70's dinosaur rock band; Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Bad Company etc.

Here's me playing that same great venue (my backyard) a few years ago with a different incarnation of that band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeM8Bb9K05E&feature=PlayList&p=8ECD090553FDFADE

Last edited:

TTNW

Pioneer Member
Chris,

Thanks for checking out my website. I rarely play 3 up 2 down anymore and the complete monster setup only goes up when I am bored and I want to tinker. Usually it's one or two toms off center left and a floor. Last night, rightly inspired I set up two left side crashes. A 16 A Thin and an 18 K Custom Fast Crash and I played a bunch of Blues Traveller and Gov't Mule songs that have tons of crash accents. I like it.

I'm in Alexandria often. My mother lives just outside of Old Towne and I have two brothers up there as well. One in DC and the other in Alexandria also.

Another question regarding your set up. Are those floor monitors a regular part of your set up? How do you like your mix with those as to compared to using in-ears?

ChrisCirino

I usually use my Ultimate Ears ear molds run through a headphone amp connected to our PA. I use them for everything including listening to my ipod, so I occasionally forget to bring them to practice. If so, I drag out the monitors and put them by my kit. In our practice space (a small bedroom in the basement), my kit is set-up behind the amps and PA so it's very difficult to hear anyone. There really is no comparison, in-ears all the way. Sometimes I even play with those Vic Firth headphones at practice. I have done some limited sound treatment on the room and even play behind a plexiglass shield to tone things down a bit. It all somehow works and we have a very manageable sound at RX. By the way, I'm actually playing that 5.5x13 DW aluminum snare that your yearning for in some of those vids and I couldn't recommended it enough.

Last edited: