Why is my floor tom hardware ringing??

Cramer77

My 16 x 16 90s pearl export floor tom has a weird ringing coming from the hardware. At first, I thought it was springs in the lugs, but I took a lug off and it didn't have a spring. I have tightened all the hardware but it sounds like something is still loose. Any ideas?

Cramer77

I think it's more of rattling but it does it even with the rims off. (I moved it around with the legs to make sure it wasn't the rims and still heard it)

Cramer77

I think it might have always happened but I just really noticed it after I put new heads on it about a month ago.

WallyY

Platinum Member
Loose lug inserts on a low tuned head or the head shoulder buzzing at the bearing edge because it's tuned low and part of the head is higher. Maybe.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Here's one that might be a little left of centre. Check your floor tom feet. Is there plenty of rubber on them?

I had a Catalina maple floor tom that made some strange vibration noises and found the cause of it was feeble rubber stoppers on the bottom of the legs. There wasn't enough insulation between the metal leg and the floor and it caused some horrible noises whenever the floor tom was struck.

It's probably a long shot given the Exports should have nice thick Pearl rubber stoppers, but it won't hurt you to eliminate it anyway.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Take off the head and make sure all the screws are tightened inside-it may be a lose screw inside affecting that piece.

Cramer77

Here's one that might be a little left of centre. Check your floor tom feet. Is there plenty of rubber on them?

I had a Catalina maple floor tom that made some strange vibration noises and found the cause of it was feeble rubber stoppers on the bottom of the legs. There wasn't enough insulation between the metal leg and the floor and it caused some horrible noises whenever the floor tom was struck.

It's probably a long shot given the Exports should have nice thick Pearl rubber stoppers, but it won't hurt you to eliminate it anyway.
I think that may be it because to of legs have nice thick ones but one has a small one that I'm guessing was put on after.

Mongrel

Silver Member
Try pulling the heads as suggested, checking lug screws and leg mount screws as suggested...

I was thinking (as suggested lol), it may be a lug insert-they make noise like that if you have ever played with only a batter head and there are no springs to keep tension on them, so maybe something is cracked inside, or your tuning is very loose on your reso head allowing them to vibrate.

You could remove the heads, run a piece of masking tape or painters tape around the lugs and hit the shell with the palm of your hand and let it "ring". See if you get that same vibration. If not then remove the tape on each lug one at a time until you find the culprit...