Why bother with books?

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Yeah, they are just worksheets.

Doesn't Ted Reed state in Syncopation that(in a time before computers, printers and copymachines) that he got the book printed simply so he wouldn't have to sit up late every night and write out the same exercises for his students' next lesson.

- There are beginning rhythms books,

- Slightly more developed progressive reading pages.

- Technical exercises and warm-ups.

- Etudes of various types.

- Style specific material

The rest is interpretation.

I like my beginning students to have a bookthat's theirs and I have one that I like to learn basic reading and snare drum, but that book doesn't always work as is and after that I just give them a folder with stuff I make myself, but based on all these methods.

I definetly have a ton of play-a-longs for different things, too.

Boomka

Platinum Member
Yup, that's basically it. I know Reed has saved me more hours than I can count. I just copied pg. 4 and 5 for a young student about 10 minutes ago.
He's working on just getting his brain talking to his hands and right foot. He's going to play the exercises as written, using single strokes and focussing simply on getting some basic coordination happening. Last week I used the same pages with a more advanced student working on their uptempo jazz comping. It's just so versatile.

samthebeat

Silver Member
Sounds like an apt summary of your post, "man." Obviously having the basics down tight is what comes first and foremost. No one is arguing that and from the sound of it, you're the one who thinks examples are only to be played verbatim. Ever think that just maybe it's your fault you can't get something to groove? Try using a little of that ingenuity you speak of. I don't even own New Breed, however that's precisely the point of the book according to the cover.

Nothing personal dude, I see a lot of guys preach about textbooks like they are the answer to everything. Its not the case.

How to get a good double stroke roll - practice it for hours and years
How to get a good single stroke roll - same
Haow to get a good pardaiddle - Same

Once you have these down you will be speaking musically on a drum set if you have it in you. If you dont have it in you, you wont.

There a countless people asking for our money making promises, and none of it delivers. You gotta have a system, it has to be your own. Books are just other players systems, a lot of it just permutations written out to fill pages, ive seen it all mate.

The thing op is dont take advice from anyone who you havent seen play drums, any tom dick or harry can have an opnion on a drum forum, not everyone has teh stones to back it up.

Boomka

Platinum Member
Stick with what your doing, drags, 5, 6 and 7 make a huge part of double stroke phrasing, singles doubles and paradiddles and a couple of flam rudiments is all you need playing jazz solos. Dont let anyone tell you any different cause they are talking crap.
...Stick control is pants
The former describes a great amount of the material in Stick Control.

Boomka

Platinum Member
The thing op is dont take advice from anyone who you havent seen play drums, any tom dick or harry can have an opnion on a drum forum, not everyone has teh stones to back it up.

Where are you playing this weekend? Maybe I can swing by.

Devour

Once you have these down you will be speaking musically on a drum set if you have it in you. If you dont have it in you, you wont.
This is more nonsense. Yes, certain folks will inherently have keener senses or posses superior physical traits, but the majority of people have comparable capabilities. All it takes is hard work and dedication.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
A good teacher should be able to open the door for anyone who's truly interested.

As a music teacher I see many teachers using the excuse that kids are like this and that and blah blah blah...

Bullshit!!!!!!!!

If the student really wants to learn and is willing to do some work anyone can learn to express themselves musically on the drums.

If they can't focus for even 10 mins, that's one thing, but even then, there's a history. There's a reason, a background, bad habits and the wrong type of nurturing.

The hardest people to teach are old people who think that because they're older they don't need to do the work.

Anyone who's realistic and really wants to learn will do quite well in time.