Why are so many drummers d****?

resohead

Silver Member
This could read why are so many people in general d****. I was watching video's on yt of an artist back in the '70's. When she introduced her band I made note of the drummers name. I didn't find him on DW but found his website.

I just sent a short message that basically said I love your playing and you must feel very fortunate to have played with all those great artists. He wasn't exactly rude but just posted a few words that I felt were a bit dismissive. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I may have said thank you. Not a big deal though.

I've dealt with sound guys before that asked, you're the drummer? Yeah why? Dude you're laid back, most drummers I deal with are d****. LOL

I know drummers are good people in the same percentage as the general public but are there some of us giving drummers a bad rap? Just a wonderin'.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Yea man, drummers are punching bags for the insecure. Anyone who treats a drummer poorly for no good reason has personal problems. The default reply is to ridicule their undersized genitals.

dwsabianguy

Are you trying to say dicks? Most of the drummers I know aren't, but, like people in general, every now and then there's a sour apple that I just don't get a long with.

I don't think it's so much a drummer problem as much as a fact that some people simply suck.

cdady

RH, I think you nailed in your first sentence. A certain percentage of people are just jerks, so it is only natural that musicians are included in that group. The behavior just seems to be amplified in public figures like musicians, athletes, and politicians.

I have seen the same thing. When I am at a local bar with a live band, I make it a point to go up and give them a “good job” if they are playing well. Most are appreciative, but I’ve had a few people just ignore me or otherwise dismiss the comment.

resohead

Silver Member
Going by this forum and just personal experiences, drummers are good folks but I do hear negative stuff sometimes.

I've had drummers whose bands followed ours in clubs that went out of their way to say great job. To me that means a lot. A guy, very good drummer, that sold me a big kit played before us one night. All of his band left after their set but he sat alone where he could see me play and was very complimentary to me. Trust me, compared to him I wasn't that great. Did I feel great, yeah. : )

I've contacted two drummers that I really admired through their websites. One was an amazing drummer and very humble..said that he could use all of the compliments he could get. Maybe that was true but I think he probably gets plenty of compliments.

The second was like, yeah well...

I guess maybe I just like to hear professional courtesy between musicians and I think the bigger you are the more you should spread the love.

Can't remember why I started this thread. haha!!

Drummertist

Silver Member
I hear negative stuff about drummers all the time. It's almost like a stereotype nowadays. I personally am very respectful and have tons of humility when it comes to what I can do.

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
This begs the question - in general, which player in the band gets the most compliments and which gets the most knocks on their playing?

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
Right on.

If I hear a good group playing live or a solo artist playing with heart and soul and turning out a good tune I always try to make it a point to compliment them. Maybe stick a bill or two in their tip jar to show my appreciation.

Good story: This weekend the wife and I were out at a local pub. We went to hear Voodoo Blue, which is a fairly successful Stevie Ray Vaughn tribute band. The lead actually looks a lot like the man himself. Anyways, we arrived early enough to hear the final sound check. This consisted of a few songs. Before they began their show, the drummer went around passing out the band's business cards and thanking bar patrons for coming out to see them. We were sitting in the back of the room. When he came to our table, I asked what kind of cymbals he was using as I thought they sounded fantastic and I told him so. The guys face lit up and told me he used Zildjians all the way. Ride was a custom K and I (dummy here) forgot what the others were. But the guy was so nice and so down to earth and sincere that I could have bought him a beer or two and chatted with him all night talking shop. Of course it didn't hurt my wife was all dolled up and wearing a fairly tight, low cut blouse, but hey, I like to think it was the cymbals, man.... LOL

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
Right on.

If I hear a good group playing live or a solo artist playing with heart and soul and turning out a good tune I always try to make it a point to compliment them. Maybe stick a bill or two in their tip jar to show my appreciation.

Good story: This weekend the wife and I were out at a local pub. We went to hear Voodoo Blue, which is a fairly successful Stevie Ray Vaughn tribute band. The lead actually looks a lot like the man himself. Anyways, we arrived early enough to hear the final sound check. This consisted of a few songs. Before they began their show, the drummer went around passing out the band's business cards and thanking bar patrons for coming out to see them. We were sitting in the back of the room. When he came to our table, I asked what kind of cymbals he was using as I thought they sounded fantastic and I told him so. The guys face lit up and told me he used Zildjians all the way. Ride was a custom K and I (dummy here) forgot what the others were. But the guy was so nice and so down to earth and sincere that I could have bought him a beer or two and chatted with him all night talking shop. Of course it didn't hurt my wife was all dolled up and wearing a fairly tight, low cut blouse, but hey, I like to think it was the cymbals, man.... LOL
A couple years ago my brother and I went to see the Christian metal band Stryper in concert. We paid a little extra and got to see the sound check and meet the band before the concert. I ended up talking to Robert Sweet for about 15 minutes, and he described how his custom kit made for that tour arrived the morning of the first concert (which led to a stressful situation setting things up). He talked like we were friends. Here was a guy that has been in a band that has sold tens of millions of records and toured all over the world, yet had no ego and was glad to talk shop with someone. At the end he signed a stick and posed for a photo with me. What a great experience.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I take your compliments very seriously RH!

I think you're right though, this happens with most people. But yeah, usually when someone says something nice, the best response is "Thank You". However, I recall in college how everyone was so busy getting better, that they never felt what they did was good enough, hence the difficulty in taking the compliment when they're so busy telling themselves they suck and they have so much to learn (sometimes we do that here too).

Imagine it, you're in college, and everytime you play, the director tells you what you need to work on. You hear that everyday for four years and after a while you forget how good you've become, you know you just have this bucket list of things to work on. It wreaks havoc with your self-esteem.

However, most people grow out of it and become normal people, and others just don't. Musicians especially because while they're so busy holed-up in a practice room, they're not going to parties and meeting other people and building up their social skills. It's a shame in a way. People gotta find a balance - too bad we don't do that until well into our mid-to-very-late-sunset-prone-30s ;)

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
This could read why are so many people in general d****.
Yes, it could. And it should.

Why single out drummer's in plural, based on one experience over the internet with a guy you've never even met? Dicks aren't limited to drummers, they are limited to people.

Where's the threads with titles like: Why are so many taxi drivers dicks? Or why are so many McDonalds drive through attendants dicks? Or why are so many owners of black labradors dicks?

Sorry for not playing along with you, but this really is a storm in a teacup don't you think? :)

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
In my experience, the vast majority of successful name drummers are very nice and humble people.

I have realized many of them got to where they are because they are such nice people, and band leaders want to work with them because they have mastered the art of getting along with people.

Of course, there are some notable exceptions, but as in most things, there often are.

aaajn

Silver Member
In my experience, Drummers are a friendly tribe. Saw a local group on Saturday, great trio with a young hot-stuff drummer. As he left the first set, I remarked: "Wonderful chops, really sounds great" He turned and smiled and said: I really appreciate it, appreciate you being here..... like I drove 50 miles to attend his kid's school play.

Maybe your guy was having a bad day, I would have to say that drummers have more stuff to carry than anybody else, maybe that's why they are usually nice to people, stay connected to the good guys who might help lug stuff.

resohead

Silver Member
It wasn't a big deal with the online guy but I've heard it from sound guys here and there. But I've also had them ask how you can stand to play in a band with a singer that shreaks like that?
I'm thinking, oh, Patsy Kline? Sounds good to me.

Sometimes I unintentionally seem to have a knack for posting provocative posts and 5 minutes later kind of wish I would thought things through more.

But there was a guy from my hometown who I knew of and he was a great drummer really young. I caught up with a band mate from 40 years ago recently and he mentioned the guys name. I said wow he was a great drummer, and he said, no he's a ************ ****** **************. Nevermind..

resohead

Silver Member
Rottweiler's get my attention. I used to walk down a street and a guy had a Rottweiler that would charge at a 4' hurricane fence. I knew if he ever decided to jump it I was dead.

richkenyon

Silver Member
Some drummers I've met have grown to be among my best friends. I don't really understand the premise of this thread.