Who watched the Grammy's? Any thoughts?

S

sticks4drums

Well my family and I watched the Grammy's last night. I thought it was well done. It moved along nicely. No long speeches. Sad to see that Glen Cambell, the man that I was named after, is now suffering from Alzheimer's, and has to give up recording and touring. Thought most of the performances were well done. What did you guys think about the night?

I also think it was one of the best I have seen in awhile. A few performances were kinda crazy (not my taste in music) but other then that The FOO Fighters kicked ASS!

S

sticks4drums

I also think it was one of the best I have seen in awhile. A few performances were kinda crazy (not my taste in music) but other then that The FOO Fighters kicked ASS!
Ok, I don't want to start a fight! That song seems really repetitive to me. I was glad when they finally finished it.

Arky

Platinum Member
Maybe they were kicking ass repetitively? (Ouch...) Sorry, I couldn't resist. (Haven't watched the Granny's - pardon - Grammy's.)

PeteN

Silver Member
I really enjoyed the Grammys but the best for me was Taylor Swift and her band. Not really my type of music in the past but I have few rules when it comes to tastefully done music.

Fuzrock

Silver Member
The Foo Fighters rocked, Taylor Swift did an excellent job, that Beach Boys thing was cool, Bruno Mars has an excellent band, WTF Nicki Minaj?, McCartney finishing off the night was truly great.

S

sticks4drums

Maybe they were kicking ass repetitively? (Ouch...) Sorry, I couldn't resist. (Haven't watched the Granny's - pardon - Grammy's.)
It was repetitive alright! :) Good come back by the way!

wsabol

Gold Member
I loved that Dave Grohl won an award for an album he recorded in his garage and then spoke of the truth in sincere musical expression, and also Adele goes to steal the whole show with her voice and song writing alone. In my mind its just a confirmation in everything I believe in, and that Nicki Minaj, Katy Perry, Chris Brown, and the like are a complete and utter misplacement of time and effort. Quite frankly, Chris Brown's performance, as his from last year, was sad and disheartening, because he actually can sing and dance well, yet he still chooses to lip-sync and give mediocre performances. Nicki Manij and Katy Perry were blatantly trying too hard and it took away from what little musical substance was there. Good music speaks for itself. Period. In the ongoing struggle between music as expression and music as sales, Thank you Adele and Dave for winning awards and proving that good music can still be successful in the vortex of thumping bass, cleavage, and fire machines that we call the music industry.

diegobxr

Silver Member
As a die-hard Foo's fan, I must admit I don't think they gave their best performances, I've seen far better, and I quite didn't like the remix they did with "Rope".

Nevertheless, I really think they deserved the Album of the Year. It was obvious they were never going to give it to them, Adele is far more $$$ right now.

Then, it was just pathetic how they cut Grohl's speech before he finished. Have some respect, for f**ck's sake. The man has been making hit records since the early 90's, he's a living rock legend, and they put the music before he ended his speech. So lame.

Anyway. Everybody knows the Grammy's criteria is as serious as the Rolling Stone magazine.. A damn joke.

I enjoyed Taylor Swift's performance (damn, she's pretty), didn't quite enjoy Katy Perry's, Nicki Minaj's was just an all-round WTF and Chris "girl-beater" Brown's lip-sync... really?

Anyway.. sorry for the rant. Cheers.

AndyMC

I watched the Grammy's there were pretty good this year. Most of the bands I really like are too small to ever hope to be on them but at least what was there this year had some artistic merit (excluding nicki minaj.... wtf is up with that girl) and I was glad to see Adele take the hat trick (best song, album, artist). Shows that when a truly talented artist comes along the masses do notice. I like foo fighters but it was a little weak, deadmaus was cool, (watching Dave Grohl try and dance to dubstep was the funniest part.) Overall I don't judge the musical performance because they don't have time to get into the feel and own their song like their best live performances. I like to see the production value though and some of those sets were incredible. Musically Paul McCartney and company did rock the house though, gotta love 6 guitars soloing at the same time. So all in all I have more faith in the future of mainstream music, seems like we are starting to move past the bad pop idols with autotune, into good pop music again.

diegobxr

Silver Member
PS:

Did anyone notice the size of Abe Laboriel's cymbals??? (Paul McCartney)

Damn!! His main crash looked like a 22"!!

PS #2: Jennifer Hudson CAN sing.

larryz

Platinum Member
Well my family and I watched the Grammy's last night. I thought it was well done. It moved along nicely. No long speeches. Sad to see that Glen Cambell, the man that I was named after, is now suffering from Alzheimer's, and has to give up recording and touring. Thought most of the performances were well done. What did you guys think about the night?
Didn't watch it but I've always loved Glen Campbell. "Wichita Lineman" is one of my Top 10 non-Beatle songs of all time and his 2008/9 "Meet Glen Campbell" album is awesome. You should be proud to be named after the guy. A great talent.

S

sticks4drums

Didn't watch it but I've always loved Glen Campbell. "Wichita Lineman" is one of my Top 10 non-Beatle songs of all time and his 2008/9 "Meet Glen Campbell" album is awesome. You should be proud to be named after the guy. A great talent.
He always seemed like such a gentleman. My father met Gene Krupa and named my older brother after him. Missed it by that much.

MaryO

Platinum Member
Highlights for me:
McCartney's closing; Joe Walsh's beautiful guitar work on McCartney's "My Valentine", Bonnie Raitt and Alicia Key's tribute to Etta James, Blake Shelton's "Southern Nights" tribute to Glen Campbell and surprisingly (to me) Bruno Mars.

Lowlights: Taylor Swift; Nicki, WTF was that?, Minaj; and Chris Brown. I also personally wasn't thrilled with Jennifer Hudson trying to be Whitney, I would have rather seen Dolly come out and do a rendition of that song in tribute.

Overall, a better Grammy's than in the last few years in my opinion.

S

sticks4drums

Surprised nobody has mentioned Carry Underwood, and Tony Bennett's duet. I thought that was well done. That girl has done well for herself. Idol worked for her! Tailor Swift holds her banjo lower than most teens hold their guitars nowadays. :) She did a great job though.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Didn't watch. Don't care. The Grammys are almost always about who sells the most sugar coated pop albums, with about 5 minutes ever focused on any actual quality music.

I've never heard of most the winners.

I liked the quotes I'm reading from Dave Grohl.

Still dis-heartening to see Rap has 4 categories, hard rock/metal is one catagory, even though metal as a whole outsells rap as a whole. But they continue to justify it because a rap single might sell a million copies, where as metal rarely has top selling singles.

A

Anthony Amodeo

I loved that Dave Grohl won an award for an album he recorded in his garage and then spoke of the truth in sincere musical expression, and also Adele goes to steal the whole show with her voice and song writing alone. In my mind its just a confirmation in everything I believe in, and that Nicki Minaj, Katy Perry, Chris Brown, and the like are a complete and utter misplacement of time and effort. Quite frankly, Chris Brown's performance, as his from last year, was sad and disheartening, because he actually can sing and dance well, yet he still chooses to lip-sync and give mediocre performances. Nicki Manij and Katy Perry were blatantly trying too hard and it took away from what little musical substance was there. Good music speaks for itself. Period. In the ongoing struggle between music as expression and music as sales, Thank you Adele and Dave for winning awards and proving that good music can still be successful in the vortex of thumping bass, cleavage, and fire machines that we call the music industry.

love this post

tsop siht evol