Who uses Moongel?

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
I like moongel, it's quick, efficient, removable, useful, long lasting and can be used both for drums and cymbals.

I also use a moongel practice pad, very, very quiet and good for practicing fingers.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I have used it but have found so many other things that do the job that don't get dirty or funky.

drummerman42

I started using moongel in the studio to dampen the ever ringing floor toms, and snare. I now just use the moongel on the snare for live purposes. It's a great product and can't complain about it.

GBpercussion

I'm just wondering why everyone is so cautious with the moongel? From my experience, if the room is big, and I have my drums pretty much dialed in aside from some annoying overtones, I'll use the proper amount to just get the drums as focused as I'd like. Out in the audience, if everything is mic'd up, I find they can really help deliver a big a focused drum sound. Unmic'd in a smaller room is definitely a different story.

poekoelan

I have nothing against dampening a little. A little dampening on the snare and a little less on the floor tom. That's about it for me. But I'd rather not use moongel or sticky stuff. I prefer something like zero rings. But I don't use them whole because they muffle too much. I cut them into quarters. I've also made my own from old worn out heads.

But I might have to try a little moon gel on one of my ride cymbals. An old Zildjian rock ride. It tends to get a little too washy for me when I lay into it. A small piece of the gel might just be the ticket for a little more stick definition on that one.

GBpercussion

I have nothing against dampening a little. A little dampening on the snare and a little less on the floor tom. That's about it for me. But I'd rather not use moongel or sticky stuff. I prefer something like zero rings. But I don't use them whole because they muffle too much. I cut them into quarters. I've also made my own from old worn out heads.

But I might have to try a little moon gel on one of my ride cymbals. An old Zildjian rock ride. It tends to get a little too washy for me when I lay into it. A small piece of the gel might just be the ticket for a little more stick definition on that one.
Good call! It works great on my 2002 Rev Al Big Ride.