who knows this amazing kit?

augysteen

(video link is below)
sup everybody. I'm still lookin for the right snare. i love this one. does anyone know what kinda kit that is on the video? and also HOW do you get your Toms to sound that way. what kinda heads? tuned high? it can't just be an expensive drum kit thing right? i got a taye rockpro. birch and basswood shells. it came with ebony aquarian response 2 heads. thinkin bout gettin done remo controlled sound heads. but well what I'm tryin to go for is the sound of these Toms in the video. and the snare. what a beut!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdd0M0hVwB8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

xsarith

It is a DC California kit, which I believe a custom kits so yeah it is essentially due to the ultra high quality and craftsmanship that goes into custom drums, comparing them to your drums you wont get that sound out of them unfortunately.

However according to science 70% of the drums sound is the head, so you can get fairly close but they're many other factors influencing the sound of the drums, very small details which interact with each other to create a unique. Since 70% is the head (again according to science) a good head choice and tuning could get to half way there.

As for the snare it gets even more detailed with the factors that go into influencing the sound, unlike cheap toms which i think you can make sound pretty decent, a bad snare wont sound as good as a more higher cost and high quality drum.

Id say experiment with tuning and the heads, and try to get a snare that's designed for the sound you desire.

Maybe Andy (Keep-it-Simple) could help out with a bit more detail on drum construction side of things.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
The snare appears to be a 6.5 deep metal so that "type " of sound,can be achieved using a comperable one with the right heads and tuning. I have to also say it matters who and how it's being played.Stick size and material also matter here.

The Kit, as it says on the reso head,is DC California which are custom made drums.

You can get in the ballpark with the right heads and tuning,but me telling you exactly how to coax that type of sound with your kit is a waist of time,since I have no idea what your kits sounds like.

Also take into consideration the micing,types of mics,and how much EQ and compression are being used.You can't just point to a drum set and cymbals and say "I want to sound exactly like that".

There are just too many factors involved.The fun is in the experimentation.

Steve B

toddbishop

Platinum Member
You can get a solid generic studio pop sound like that with any decent recording engineer, and whatever drums happen to be on hand. To approximate that sound unmiked maybe get some clear single ply, or lighter 2-ply heads on the batter side of the toms, clear medium single ply on the bottom, bottom tuned high, top tuned moderately low, and learn to play them for a big sound.

augysteen

The snare appears to be a 6.5 deep metal so that "type " of sound,can be achieved using a comperable one with the right heads and tuning. I have to also say it matters who and how it's being played.Stick size and material also matter here.

metal snare!¿ really? wow! I've actually been steerin away from those. cuz of stuff I've read. but now I'm back to square one of the hunt. BUT this is pretty much the exact sound I'm lookin for. and if you say its a metal one (which metal by the way would you guess?) well then I'm puttin metal back into my thinkin and tryin some out. as far as how he plays. I'm sure he could make any snare sound amazing. but about that..what is it he'd doing? my sticking is pretty dam good i gotta say. but i can't make crap snares sound nice.

edvia

(video link is below)
sup everybody. I'm still lookin for the right snare. i love this one. does anyone know what kinda kit that is on the video? and also HOW do you get your Toms to sound that way. what kinda heads? tuned high? it can't just be an expensive drum kit thing right? i got a taye rockpro. birch and basswood shells. it came with ebony aquarian response 2 heads. thinkin bout gettin done remo controlled sound heads. but well what I'm tryin to go for is the sound of these Toms in the video. and the snare. what a beut!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdd0M0hVwB8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
The snare looks like a WorldMax hammered brass, most likely a 6.5x14". WorldMax is essentially a "no name" drum company, but they actually make some nice metal snares. I used to own a WorldMax "Vintage Hawg" and it was very nice.