Who Knew? Kiefer Southerland Band

V-Four

I tried to figure out why I feel the way I do about this. Which is that it also bothers me, to some extent, when "famous actors" come along and , ya know..start in with the music makin and all. (as was explained earlier).

Here's my take:
I think it bothers me because, say you have 2 bands, both sound/play decent enough, nothing chart topping, but maybe they show potential.

Here's the rub, ONE of the bands has a famous actor as the singer/guitarist (does seem like the stars always choose to sing and play guitar).

Anyway, the band that has "actor/fame" attached to it is going to get all the "props"/ cred/ whadya call it, from almost everyone (well, they'll be dissected by musicians, of course). The thing is, the "other band" of just ordinary musician types, even tho they are of the exact caliber music-wise, will just be considered a mediocre band and "passed over" as the "fame band" is applauded and thought of as great and awesome. (heck, just look at the "commoners" that are commenting on the keifer youtube vid).

I hope I made my point,? tho feel im all over here. Gotta go, its lunch time.

T.

trickg

Silver Member
V-Four, show biz is almost never fair. Let's take a look at Kiefer Sutherland's career to begin with. Did he become a famous actor because he put it all on the line, went to Hollywood, waited tables, and then finally got a big break? Nope. He got his start because his father Donald Sutherland was already a well-known and established actor.

Let's take a look at a few others:
  • Kate Hudson - dauther of Goldie Hawn
  • Dakota Johnson - daughter of Don Johnson and Melanie Griffeth.
  • Carrie Fisher - daughter of Eddie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds
  • Charlie Sheen - son of Martin Sheen
  • Miley Cyrus - daughter of Billy Ray Cyrus
  • Lisa Marie Presley (remember, she had her own record that got radio play) - daughter of Elvis Presley
  • Robert Downey Jr - son of Robert Downey Sr.
  • Gwyneth Paltrow - daughter of Bruce Paltro and Blythe Danner
  • Rashida Jones - daughter of Quincey Jones
  • Alexander Skasgard - son of Stellan Skasgard
  • Angelina Jolie - daughter of Jon Voigt
  • Ben Stiller - son of Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara - he's actually quoted as saying "If my parents were, like, plumbers, who knows what I'd be doing."
  • Emma Roberts - daughter of Eric Roberts (aunt is Julia Roberts)
  • Jennifer Aniston - daughter of actor John Aniston
  • Zoe Kravitz - daughter of Lenny Kravitz, who in turn is the child of actress Roxie Roker and filmaker Sy Kravitz
  • Liv Tyler - daughter of Steven Tyler and singer/playmate Bebe Buell
  • Drew Barrymore - goodness, the Barrymores go back to the beginnings of Hollywood with generations of actors and actresses that preceded her.
  • etc, etc, etc
This isn't limited to actors and actresses either.
  • Jakob Dylan - son of Bob Dylan
  • Norah Jones - daughter of sitar player Ravi Shanker
  • Lukas Nelson - son of Willie Nelson
  • Gunnar Matthew Nelson - sons of Ricky Nelson
  • Shooter Jennings - son of Waylon Jennings
  • Jason Bonham - son of John Bonham
  • Alexa Joel - daughter of Billy Joel
  • Sean Lennon - son of John Lennon
  • Julian Lennon - son of John Lennon
  • Zak Starky - son of Richard Starkey - aka Ringo Starr
  • Ziggy Marley - son of Bob Marley
  • Wilson Phillips (Carnie Wilson, Wendy Wilson, Chynna Phillips) - daughter of Brian Wilson, (Beach Boys) and John and Michelle Phillips (Mamas and Papas)
  • etc, etc, etc
Do you think any of those people would have the careers they do if not leveraging the celebrity status of their parents? It sucks for us nobodies, but that's just the way it is - you leverage what you have, and if that means leveraging your celebrity acting status so you can front a band as a pet project or passion, then why not? Billy Bob Thornton also has a band that tours around, and from what I've heard, they are quite good.

I know I would have done it. If my parents had been involved in Hollywood, the decision to use that to try to become rich and famous wouldn't be too hard for me - I'd absolutely go for it. Heck, as it is, my son is a musician in his own right - better than me anyway - and has done ok with it. He is going the route of writing and playing originals in indie bands that are signed to small indie labels.

Last edited:

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Art is Art. MGM's logo is Art for Arts Sake. Red Skelton was my favorite comedian since I was in the 8th grade. He waas also an accomplished artist, painter. Many Hollywood types, paint, sculpt, etc. Should they quit one just to pursue the other. Most of the drummers on this forum that play in bands are weekend warriors. Are they in real bands? I started the thread because I wasn't aware that Keifer was in a band. I think they sound pretty good. Better than alot I hear promoted on this forum and other media. If I was goos enough to have two jobs, and liked them both I surely would. I feel that Keifer got his acting gigs from huis Dad's reputation and his band was his own doing. Does it really matter. Take a deep breath every one and enjoy the music before passing judgment.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
There's room for everyone in music.

If Keifer's name wasn't famous this wouldn't be an issue.

He is closer to the entertainment industry so he likely has more opportunities. I can't blame him for that.

The music being good or bad is not the point. That's different for everyone. He reserves the right to make it, just like anyone else.

If he strikes a nerve, great. If not, it doesn't mean it's not good, just not popular. Whatever. Making music is a luxury in modern life.

Being moderately well known shouldn't limit anyone as a person.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..Let's take a look at a few others..

Thats a big list of names (i refer mainly to the musician list now) that only proves to me that the children 99% of the time have a talent that comes not even close to the talent their parents had..

On that complete list i would maybe make an exception for Norah Jones and Julian Lennon and thats about that..

Meaning, that having a name is not the same as having a talent..

And, people are right when they say that we live in a free world and that everything is allowed, but, in that case we can also stop speaking about the best sort of wood a drum is made from, or which sticks to use, or how to play a certain technique, because if nothing matters then nothing matters and we all can just agree about that..

In my opinion the music world exists of original creative people and wannabee creative people..Thats not immediately an objective truth of life, but just my opinion..

The wannabees are not hurting anyone, they are not starting wars and they also pay tax, but then still i can be hugely annoyed by them..

Which means, i try to avoid them as much as possible..

To me, the whole celebrity world, is about the most empty and completely meaningless world i can think of..

Last edited:

Mongrel

Silver Member
Thats a big list of names (i refer mainly to the musician list now) that only proves to me that the children 99% of the time have a talent that comes not even close to the talent their parents had..

On that complete list i would maybe make an exception for Norah Jones and Julian Lennon and thats about that..

Meaning, that having a name is not the same as having a talent..

And, people are right when they say that we live in a free world and that everything is allowed, but, in that case we can also stop speaking about the best sort of wood a drum is made from, or which sticks to use, or how to play a certain technique, because if nothing matters then nothing matters and we all can just agree about that..

In my opinion the music world exists of original creative people and wannabee creative people..Thats not immediately an objective truth of life, but just my opinion..

The wannabees are not hurting anyone, they are not starting wars and they also pay tax, but then still i can be hugely annoyed by them..

Which means, i try to avoid them as much as possible..

To me, the whole celebrity world, is about the most empty and completely meaningless world i can think of..
Whole lotta "can't" there....

Can't make music if your famous....can't discuss wood...can't make a meanigful contribution if you are a celebrity....lol.

:(

Not to mention being the sole arbiter of "true" creativity!

:oops:

Poor Keifer....he just wants to ROCK! :cool:

Lol

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Well I confess I always wanted to be a comedian-impersonator. I started doing impersonations in 7th grade-I did lots of political figures like JFK and Robert, Hubert Humphrey, Nixon.... and famous actors like Brando, The Duke, etc. Still do a pretty good Nicholson, Sean Connery, Chris Walken, Patrick Stewart, and a few others I do for friends and family. I love to laugh-it annoys some people because they think it's silly or juvenile-I say screw them LOL.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..Whole lotta "can't" there..

If you would have read what i wrote, then you would have seen that i said that everything can and that everything is allowed and that no one gets hurt when Keifer or Johnny or John (McEnroe) want to 'rock' (lol!)..

The idea is, that, in my opinion, at that moment, in that club, when they 'rock' (lol!), because of their famous actor or tennis or whatever name, they take the space from really talented musicians..

When Johnny Depp wants to play he can play, always, as much as he wants..The clubs will always book him, no matter if he has a decent album out or not, no matter anything, they will book him, because he will sell out the place, just because he is Johnny Depp..

Thats is not the case for all those other 100's of bands who actually have a decent album out and who have to struggle to find places to play..

Thats all still allowed and Keifer, Johnny and John are allowed to have a nice time and the people who go see them are allowed to have a nice time and everyone is allowed to be happy and get drunk and make babies after..Thats how we say things here, in The Netherlands, that something is allowed, as in, that something is not hurting anyone..Not as being an arbiter, but just as a way of saying something..

But still, in my opinion, 99% of those "son/daughter with famous last name-musicians" musical activities are just a waste of time and space..

And feel free to take things out of context again, since thats what internet forums are and should be about..😄

Last edited:

Macarina

Silver Member
But still, in my opinion, 99% of those "son/daughter with famous last name-musicians" musical activities are just a waste of time and space..

And feel free to take things out of context again, since thats what internet forums are and should be about..😄
No, no, pretty clear... I don't think people will misunderstand your position.

Don't agree with that sentiment at all.

Mongrel

Silver Member
If you would have read what i wrote, then you would have seen that i said that everything can and that everything is allowed and that no one gets hurt when Keifer or Johnny or John (McEnroe) want to 'rock' (lol!)..

The idea is, that, in my opinion, at that moment, in that club, when they 'rock' (lol!), because of their famous actor or tennis or whatever name, they take the space from really talented musicians..

When Johnny Depp wants to play he can play, always, as much as he wants..The clubs will always book him, no matter if he has a decent album out or not, no matter anything, they will book him, because he will sell out the place, just because he is Johnny Depp..

Thats is not the case for all those other 100's of bands who actually have a decent album out and who have to struggle to find places to play..

Thats all still allowed and Keifer, Johnny and John are allowed to have a nice time and the people who go see them are allowed to have a nice time and everyone is allowed to be happy and get drunk and make babies after..Thats how we say things here, in The Netherlands, that something is allowed, as in, that something is not hurting anyone..Not as being an arbiter, but just as a way of saying something..

And feel free to bend reality anyway *you* want....you obviously feel that these guys have not *earned* an artistic "right" (whatever that is...lol) to do what they are doing....

Your context is crystal....lol....

All these poor starving *true artists* out on the street while these "wanna-bees" are stealing their oxygen!

😢

🤪

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Well Kiefer has two albums to date, and they sell. I'm sure not to many club owners are going to take a chance on booking them without first hearing them. As far as wanna be's that's a little harsh. As I said before, most of the drummers on this site that gig have full time jobs that aren't music related and I would dare not call them wanna be's . They are amature or semi-pros, and deserve as much oxygen as the next guy. They aren't stealing dates, just booking them.

Fact remains , if they suck and can’t perform and people don’t enjoy the music they won’t go see them or listen to them . It’s that simple. No way they get a gig on name recognition alone . Well ok , maybe one ( the first ) and if they suck , probably never again . The amount of gigs they may get due to their fame or name over some bands with more talent is a fraction of fraction of all the gigs being played as a whole . Meaning they’re not taking away a living from anyone . If your good , overall you’ll get work but nothing is ever guaranteed. All kinds of bands get gigs through connections or people they know over another band with slightly more talent . Seems like basically your talking about ..... in a word ......FAIRNESS. Hey , life’s not fair in this profession/hobby or in anything else. They don’t even have control over it. It’s not like they’re saying ....hey, I’m Johnny depp, or Kevin bacon or insert other here_______and you have to hire me . The club, bar, venue, whoever 🤷🏻‍♂️It may be.... hires them . Anyone that wants to have a good time or enjoyable night of music WILL NOT suffer through horrible music just because someone’s famous. And if they’re name gives them a slight edge over another band playing similar music , well hey , they can’t help that . I’ve lost and gained jobs music related or not that I was better at and worse at for a lot of different reasons . Was it fair ? Maybe , maybe not , but I don’t cry about it . I move forward and work hard and continue on because I’ve no other choice and learned that .........
LIFE IS NOT FAIR . Honestly , ask yourself, would you turn down a job or a gig and let it go to someone else because they or that person was a little better at it then you ? Or because you and not them had an inside track or edge to get it ? Believe me I get both sides of the argument here , but , I believe some here aren’t being completely honest , because if the shoe was on the other foot ? Well......... you’d take that job, that gig , that what have you and not think twice . JMHO .

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Seems like the list is missing Corey Feldman-an "interesting" musical career/effort to say the least. Poor fellow seems like a train wreck-yet that has worked for others (Bonham, Moon, Cobain -I think it may be a sin to mention them and Feldman in the same sentence LOL). Kris Kristofferson has always seemed to seamlessly move from musician to actor-an interesting career.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..The amount of gigs they may get due to their fame or name over some bands with more talent is a fraction of fraction of all the gigs being played as a whole . Meaning they’re not taking away a living from anyone..

I completely agree with that..

And, i am also not really lying awake at night because of this subject..

I just gave my opinion about something, just like people also seem to be able to discuss 16 pages about a stupid* unimportant* cymbal logo..:)

* Thats also only my opinion again, not a general state of fact..

Last edited: