Who has inspired the most to make people play drums?

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I didn't know The Tornados were a British group-Telstar was a hugely popular song-with great driving drums. The British Invasion did start a lot of drummers but I think too much credit is given the Beatles. I think Beatlemania may have lit the match and Ringo deserves some credit but I think "Ringo" is a pat answer. If you were born after 1970 it's like who are the "Beatles"-Lennon quit Paul grew "Wings". Popular music , or that you are exposed, with driving drums gets everyones toes tapping. Is there a history of great drummers book talking about Chick Webb to the present and their contributions to the music of their era-like Kenny Clark and "the ride" , Krupa, Rich, Williams, Bonham, Purdie, etc.? I saw some videos talking about various ones-but nothing all together. I was born in 1955 and TBH Ringo was never a drummer that inspired me. The Beach boys had more influence and the Tornadoes, the Kingsmen, the Angels,and the Dovells are groups I remember more.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
If people only knew who he was, Hal Blaine would have given the Rings a run for his money.

Roger Hawkins too. Keltner. Gordon.

J-Boogie

Gold Member
I didn't know The Tornados were a British group-Telstar was a hugely popular song-with great driving drums. The British Invasion did start a lot of drummers but I think too much credit is given the Beatles. I think Beatlemania may have lit the match and Ringo deserves some credit but I think "Ringo" is a pat answer. If you were born after 1970 it's like who are the "Beatles"-Lennon quit Paul grew "Wings". Popular music , or that you are exposed, with driving drums gets everyones toes tapping. Is there a history of great drummers book talking about Chick Webb to the present and their contributions to the music of their era-like Kenny Clark and "the ride" , Krupa, Rich, Williams, Bonham, Purdie, etc.? I saw some videos talking about various ones-but nothing all together. I was born in 1955 and TBH Ringo was never a drummer that inspired me. The Beach boys had more influence and the Tornadoes, the Kingsmen, the Angels,and the Dovells are groups I remember more.
Thats actually refreshing, being from that era and not being a Ringo die hard. Im not a Beatles fan, but grew to appreciate Ringo drumming. But I think even if I was born 20 years earlier, Id still have the same opinions.

Icetech

Gold Member
Born in 1970, as a little kid i would setup pots and pans and beat on them to beatles vinyls.. BUT.. ended up playing guitar:( which was a mistake. abou 5 years ago Gavin Harrison was on one of lettermans drummer week things and that was it.. i had to play.

mikel

Platinum Member
Its a generational thing as to who inspired the individual, but as the OP asked for who inspired the most drummers, it would have to be Ringo and Charlie, by a mile. Me? It was Ringo to start, and Stewart Copeland to inspire me to be better and look into African and Latin styles.

MikeM

Platinum Member
Totally stereotypical and some may not believe it, but Ringo actually was the guy who got me craving to play drums. I became a Beatles freak in 3rd grade ('76) and was staring at pictures of his drums almost constantly. They just looked cool! A kid down the street had a kit and I had him show me how to play the intro to Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise), which was the first drumbeat I ever learned to play. I loved air drumming my way through that and A Day In The Life. Cool stuff.

Then on to Keith Moon and Animal, for obvious reasons, until at age 13 I got my first kit, which was 3 weeks after the release of Moving Pictures. Neil Peart instantly became my my favorite drummer and remained so for the rest of my teens (along with Stewart Copeland, Simon Phillips, Steve Gadd, and Rod Morgenstein).

Oddly, I was never terribly enamored with John Bonham or Charlie Watts, though I like Bonham a lot now. I still don't quite get Charlie Watts though... haha

Whaddaya gonna do?