White Stripes Drummer Meg White To Replace Rush’s Neil Peart

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Pretty funny. She's kind of the antithesis of Peart. Simple and raw and un-refined.

At least the Rush drummer won't be wearing that dumb hat anymore.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I would pay to see that concert. Ha!
Actually, I can see somebody like Carlock or Portnoy doing that gig for a tour.

Last edited:
M

Matt Bo Eder

Probably satire, but it would be cool to see. Neil's not that great a player anyway and I think Meg would fit right in ;)

Although Geddy did say in the Rush movie that there's no way anyone can be replaced in that band. I don't think Neil has anything to worry about. All three of those guys have earned the right to retire, or semi-retire, however they see fit. What rock bands ever get to do that?

I love Meg White. When I first started drumming, I wanted to play along to records immediately. I started with The White Stripes and was playing it fairly well right off the bat. I love the music and being able to play it was so inspiring.

Umm ... something different! It might be White Rush or The Rush Stripes ;-)
I rather to see Meg's tom-toms than that funny hat of Peart's...

Stroman

Platinum Member
This is so funny!! lol I posted it on facebook yesterday, and I've actually had people text me to ask if it's true. :D

I love satire.

alparrott

Platinum Member
This is in response to Alex Lifeson's interview in Rolling Stone re-affirming that the days of touring are over for Rush, and he said it was mostly down to Neil's physical condition.

Whether you are a Neil Peart fan or not, there's certainly no denying that so much touring over so many years, when you tend to have a "play through the drum" approach for a good number of those years, and some setup choices that have not been quite the last word in ergonomics, will add up on you. I support his decision to go out on a high note, rather than to become a dim shadow of his peak talent.

I really don't think he's in any danger of being replaced within Rush, but we may see Alex and Geddy doing more projects either singly, with other bands or musicians, or possibly together but without Neil (and not as Rush). And who knows, maybe even with Meg White? Replace one polarizing drummer with the complete opposite!

M

Matt Bo Eder

This is in response to Alex Lifeson's interview in Rolling Stone re-affirming that the days of touring are over for Rush, and he said it was mostly down to Neil's physical condition.

Whether you are a Neil Peart fan or not, there's certainly no denying that so much touring over so many years, when you tend to have a "play through the drum" approach for a good number of those years, and some setup choices that have not been quite the last word in ergonomics, will add up on you. I support his decision to go out on a high note, rather than to become a dim shadow of his peak talent.

I really don't think he's in any danger of being replaced within Rush, but we may see Alex and Geddy doing more projects either singly, with other bands or musicians, or possibly together but without Neil (and not as Rush). And who knows, maybe even with Meg White? Replace one polarizing drummer with the complete opposite!
And not that this is a really polarizing thing, but when Jeff Porcaro died and Toto called in Simon Phillips, I thought that was a real interesting pairing as well, but it worked. Meg and Ged and Al could work too.

Stroman

Platinum Member
The article is pure satire (did you read the part where Neil was showing Meg around the kit!? lol) but I actually could see Alex in particular doing a project with her.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I feel bad about the article. I really enjoyed Meg's stuff, and she basically reintroduced the world to Dinosaur-drumming in a much needed reboot of the pop scene. I don't understand why she gets so much flak compared to other DD's (Black Keys comes to mind).

incrementalg

Gold Member
I feel bad about the article. I really enjoyed Meg's stuff, and she basically reintroduced the world to Dinosaur-drumming in a much needed reboot of the pop scene. I don't understand why she gets so much flak compared to other DD's (Black Keys comes to mind).
I'm with you. I actually think her drumming has/had a very ballsy feel. I wonder if she even plays the drums any more?

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
The article is pure satire (did you read the part where Neil was showing Meg around the kit!? lol) but I actually could see Alex in particular doing a project with her.
Pretty sure everyone was aware of that... It's kind of a bit mean spirited towards her, actually, but I'm sure Meg doesn't give (or smell) a rat's ass.

KamaK said:
The White Stripes will always be one of my favorite bands; and I absolutely love it when "imperfect" music is allowed to get so much exposure and praise. There's a lot of pressure to "measure up" to both production and performance standards with today's art and music. When nearly the whole world can recognize the brilliance of such simple but effective/catchy rock and roll without so much in the frill or perfection departments... Some idiots thinking Meg isn't a great drummer is seriously insignificant. Most of those idiots probably didn't tour the world as she did, I'd wager.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Pretty sure everyone was aware of that... It's kind of a bit mean spirited towards her, actually, but I'm sure Meg doesn't give (or smell) a rat's ass.
Lol, you would think, but that isn't the case, based on responses I've gotten.

In any case, I doubt the intent was to be mean-spirited. I thought the writer just picked two drummers at the opposite ends of the spectrum, in many regards. IDK. I like Meg AND Neil.

And like you said, I doubt either of them give a crap.

WallyY

Platinum Member
I love Meg White. When I first started drumming, I wanted to play along to records immediately. I started with The White Stripes and was playing it fairly well right off the bat. I love the music and being able to play it was so inspiring.
Welcome B!

Nicely said, Watso and Kama!