Which drummers have 'grown up' before our eyes?

Super Phil

I'm thinking of guys like Lars Ulrich and Rikki Rockett (Richard Ream). When listening to their earlier albums, they get the job done, but when you compare it with their more recent stuff you can hear how far they have come as drummers through years of touring and recording.
Anyone else notice this? Any other drummers you can think of who fit this description?

Drumsinhisheart

Silver Member
Tony Royster Jr. would certainly fit that observation, and he has a long way to play yet. He's still young.

I believe Bill Bruford also has shown tentacles reaching out in different ways throughout his lengthy career, from Yes to today he has explored a lot of ground. Though his voice has remained his, for sure.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I thought he was a Ludwig guy?:)

How about Michael Schrieve with Santana? I think he was 17 or 19,when he played Woodstock in 69.Still a kid at the time,he played a great drum solo.on that beautiful Ludwig champagne sparkle kit,in front of almost half a million people.

Steve B

opentune

Platinum Member
Simon Phillips - Started at 18, still a great drummer then, but clearly aged though many different projects with many different artists.
Simon Kirke - (Free- Bad Company - but was only 17 when he laid the groove to All Right Now and Mr. Big

WhoIsTony?

well ... not before my eyes

but Tony Williams

he appeared on two Jackie McLean records at the age of 17 .... then his next gig was with some cat named Miles

....and for the record I think Lars best work was on the first 3 albums by far.... he has never even come close to touching his work on Puppets since then

brady

Platinum Member
Peter Erskine is one that has evolved for me...not really in real time though. Just looking back at his discography shows a lot of diversity along the way.

There seems to be an a lot of range between the long-haired Peter playing with Weather Report and the seasoned jazz master backing Diana Krall.

WhoIsTony?

Peter Erskine is one that has evolved for me...not really in real time though. Just looking back at his discography shows a lot of diversity along the way.

There seems to be an a lot of range between the long-haired Peter playing with Weather Report and the seasoned jazz master backing Diana Krall.
he was a jazz player originally

many years before Weather Report he held the chair in the Stan Kenton Orchestra ... and following the Kenton gig he went on to play with Maynard Ferguson

.... so really the Diana Krall, and all the jazz and big band gigs are in a way back to his roots :)

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I'd say it's... ME!

After all, I went from beating on an accordian case, to replicating the sound design of today's most heavily and intricately produced tracks, in just 33 short years!

Yeah, it's gotta be me. :)

Bermuda

WhoIsTony?

I'd say it's... ME!

After all, I went from beating on an accordian case, to replicating the sound design of today's most heavily and intricately produced tracks, in just 33 short years!

Yeah, it's gotta be me. :)

Bermuda
I know you are kind of joking.... but I would completely agree

the stuff you have been laying down on record all these years is nothing short of f*%$ing unbelievable

so perfectly transparent

I have been admiring your work with Al since probably 1983 and have always marveled at how you nail those tunes to the wall

sounds to styles .... soup to nuts ........ it's all there on every one of those records

BillRayDrums

Gold Member
I used to watch Thomas Pridgen when he was about 13 years old, playing at the NAMM show. It's easy to spot TP at NAMM though... He's the cat walking around that has about 20 other cats following him around. :D His "posse"... haha!

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Thomas is great, I remember him and his mom walking the show, both very nice. He has literally grown up before my eyes!

double_G

Silver Member
Josh Freese. shot below is from Disney World where Josh (12 or so?) got Vinnie into see Buddy a few times (Josh's Dad the musical contractor there. Josh played in Disney bands from a young age and endorsed by 3-4 companies like Simmons, DW, Zildjian).

BillRayDrums

Gold Member
Thomas is great, I remember him and his mom walking the show, both very nice. He has literally grown up before my eyes!
Do you remember the other kid who used to sit down and they would both just devastate the kits? That old ID drum company had them doing a duel at their booth, I went home and boiled a pair of drumsticks I was so mad.