Which drum throne to buy?

braincramp

Gold Member
I just bought the PDP saddle throne, it was a good bit less then the roc n soc. I had a stock tama throne very little padding. My back was stiffing up between the 3rd and 4th set at every gig. I've done 2 gigs with the PDP saddle which has lots of padding and no back problems... of course maybe its not the throne causing my back problem and I'm just getting old here... but regarless it is a very comfortable throne with threaded main rod screw type height adjustment.

TTNW

Pioneer Member
I have the Roc n Soc throne with the gas adjustment and lunar base. It never travels because it doesn't pack up well.

I suggest the Roc n Soc with the threaded spindle and the three leg base. Just as comfortable and is ideal for transport, uneven stage floor surfaces and in the long term you don't have to worry about the gas shock wearing out. I've had mine for six years with no problems but some members here have had a problem with it failing after several years.

mind_drummer

Platinum Member
I have the Roc n Soc throne with the gas adjustment and lunar base. It never travels because it doesn't pack up well.

I suggest the Roc n Soc with the threaded spindle and the three leg base. Just as comfortable and is ideal for transport, uneven stage floor surfaces and in the long term you don't have to worry about the gas shock wearing out. I've had mine for six years with no problems but some members here have had a problem with it failing after several years.
+1 for the Roc-N-Soc ! Excellent comfy throne, get the backrest too, you won't regret it ;-)

The cost of thrones is an absolute scandal.
I dont agree with your opinion. Have you ever bought an office chair or just a table chair for that matter ?

+/- 150$ for having your butt comfy and your body relaxed isn't too much paid ;-)

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I second this. As much as I prefer the gas cushioning, my Roc n Soc gas cylinder failed on me once at a gig, so the next day I got the Roc n Soc spindle throne. That thing should last 1000 years at least. 139.99 is not overpriced for something that will last well past when your great great great great grandchildren die.

That said, I wish the throne top had a super sturdy built in handle. It is very awkward to carry when you are trying to get as many pieces in your arms as possible for load in/out. If it had some kind of hand hold, then I could strap it to my rolling hardware bag.

Are ya listening Roc n Soc?

T

thatoneguy

I feel I might be able to contribute on this topic. I really appreciate the comfort and durability of a roc n soc (especially the saddle). The hydraulic lift is nice but more of a bell and whistle for me. What's important to note is roc n socs are available with two primary heights (or maximum heights). I very much prefer the taller one as it can still sit fairly low with the option of sitting very high or anywhere in between. Lastly, on my set I use a saddle seat high rise with wheels (not legs). I feel it gives me a feeling of more freedom or mobility when recording and performing. In my drumometer dungeon I use a saddle seat with a back rest(many hours in the dungeon so lumbar support is a good idea) with legs(as oppose to wheels) so that I'm securely seated. Hope this helps. -Zac

james05

i have the spindle Roc-N-Soc, very comfortable. I opted for it over the Nitro version... it was a little to bouncy for me.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
I've got a Gibraltar, not sure what model but it has been fantastic. I recommend a circular seat rather than the bike-saddle type contoured ones.

Most important thing to do is to go and sit on one first! No good buying one without trying it out, frustration lies that way.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
The Tama 1st Chair Wide Rider is a great throne as well. I had one for several years and it was pretty comfortable for a drum throne.

However, I moved to an artist's bench and I couldn't be happier. It's very stable, gives plenty of support, and isn't too soft. It's kind of a pain to move around for gigging, but to me the extra hassle is worth the comfort. And they're cheaper than a pro drum throne, too.

MikeM

Platinum Member
I have a Roc N Soc hydraulic with tripod base and love it. I got it last year for Christmas and I've never had anything near as nice in 30 years of playing. No troubles with it so far. Well worth the $150.

Chromium

I have a Tama Ergo-Rider with a backrest (I think it's the next up from the one Winston Wolf had), which is awesome for the 'larger' player (please don't say 'Fat Bastard'!). It has four legs to make it really stable and a really comfortable hybrid of a round seat and a saddle seat. The shape is great for anyone doing a lot of legwork especially. The front cutaway allows for completely unimpeded thigh movement even during the most rapid double bass patterns. :)

veggo32

Silver Member
I also have a Roc N Soc nitro throne. It's super comfortable and has a good size sitting surface. The leather and stitching are solid and well put together. If you are a solid player you will not bounce on it. It is a well balanced throne.

ddrumman2004

I use a Tama throne with a saddle seat...not sure which model it is but I have had the thing for 15 years now. Very sturdy and can come apart easily for storage...if needed.

Only gripe is the vinyl seat covering. I have to sit on a towel to avoid getting a sore fanny from sweating. I keep saying I'm going to recover it but....

If I were to have to buy a new one, I'd go Roc-N-Soc I guess.

Vipercussionist

Silver Member
don't agree with your opinion. Have you ever bought an office chair or just a table chair for that matter ?

+/- 150$ for having your butt comfy and your body relaxed isn't too much paid ;-)
Your agreement isn't needed, it's a FACT that the pricing is scandalous, I worked for YEARS in the furniture business, and the prices are usually FAR above cost, not just "let's make a decent living" above cost, but more like"let's rake 'em over the coals" above cost. How do you think furniture stores afford such opulent showrooms?? Collecting GREEN STAMPS?? It comes out of the HUGE profits that YOU 'em paid for the stuff you bought!!!!!

mind_drummer

Platinum Member
Your agreement isn't needed, it's a FACT that the pricing is scandalous, I worked for YEARS in the furniture business, and the prices are usually FAR above cost, not just "let's make a decent living" above cost, but more like"let's rake 'em over the coals" above cost. How do you think furniture stores afford such opulent showrooms?? Collecting GREEN STAMPS?? It comes out of the HUGE profits that YOU 'em paid for the stuff you bought!!!!!
Looking this way, everything is priced scandalously, just think: Profit for the maker, Profit for the distributor, Profit for the dealer, Tax for government etc...

If you only know how much it cost for making a bottle of fine Canadian Whisky or a fine bottle of red wine... Here in Canada, we pay above 250% mark of the manufacturing & distribution cost for these two examples. No one is in business to break even, someone has to make money...

I personally use a Pork Pie and love it. It's simply, sturdy, ergonomic, and comfortable. I played with a saddle style throne for years and finally had to call quits with it - it just never felt right.

As far as pricing goes...they're worth spending some extra cash on order to get a great one. A cheap and poorly constructed throne can make your entire body feel terrible after playing. I wrote a short post about drum thrones and listed a few in different price categories on the Drum Set Ergonomics Blog. Hopefully it will help guide you towards a decision that you're more than happy with.