Which DAW

JosephDAqui

Silver Member
If you want to go with limitless creativity, as in making your own stuff, go with Ableton Live. It's a bit pricey but what you can do in the session view sets it apart from everything - it becomes an instrument at that point.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
If you want to go with limitless creativity, as in making your own stuff, go with Ableton Live. It's a bit pricey but what you can do in the session view sets it apart from everything - it becomes an instrument at that point.
Ableton is extraordinarily good - I've seen it do wonderful, wonderful things. A friend of mine once used Max For Live (Max/MSP and Live working together) to write a program that could run an entire theatre using MIDI. Lights, pyro (yes), sound and any computerised contraption that could be plugged in from a single screen. It's a great DAW and a great bit of software.

I never got into it though, I prefer a more traditional DAW and Ableton's workflow is very different from the rest.

To that end, I mostly use Logic (at work) and Reaper (at home) but all of the major DAWs have their merits and all are very capable of excellent results in the right hands.

It's probably not relevant to the OP any more but I would suggest downloading trials, trying each one out briefly and see which one you click with easiest. Then stick with that until you have a compelling reason to change. The most important thing with DAW software is that you understand the principles of what you're doing rather than getting bogged down in the specifics of the software. Fundamentally, they all do pretty much the same thing, just in slightly different ways.

I prefer to look at DAW software a bit like utility software like word processors. Some may have minor practical advantages over others but they all do the same thing and if you can use one, you can use others. We develop a preference for one over another for various reasons but we can still type a letter in any word processor and do a good job of it if you understand the principles - it's just that digital audio is a bit more complex than typing a letter.