Which aluminum drum?

SgtThump

Platinum Member
I just sold a chrome over brass supra, because I like the acro ALOT more. Also, similar to what karl said, it feels really good to play. Really responsive and sensitive or somethingi havent owned a chrome over aluminum supra, though.

nickjd

Acrolites are high end and classy in my opinion. The sound you get from them when you put 16 strands on them is so lush. Go acrolite.

Masheanhed

Local guy has this advertised. Says he "thinks" it is a 70s Acrolite, has eight lugs and is aluminum (says magnet won't stick to shell). Says the numbers on the badge read 1632085. Is this an Acrolite? Was asking $125, now down to $100. Worth it?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member

Local guy has this advertised. Says he "thinks" it is a 70s Acrolite, has eight lugs and is aluminum (says magnet won't stick to shell). Says the numbers on the badge read 1632085. Is this an Acrolite? Was asking $125, now down to $100. Worth it?
Serial number and square corner B/O badge put it at around 1977-78. It's an Acro, it's in good shape, it's not gonna be around long at that price.

dbshorter

I know you have heard and will keep hearing this, but you just can't beat an Acrolite. I bought one for $80 on CL a few weeks ago, slapped an Evans Genera Dry head on it and fell in love. I've been gigging with it and the best word I can use to describe it is SOLID. It just feels and sounds how I've always imagined a snare should sound, and super versatile. Good luck.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Ah, maybe the ludwig. I gotta admit I dribble a little when I see a shiny supra. What's the difference between the reissue acro and the supra? Just that the supra is chrome plated?
Exact same shell. Just different lugs and the bling factor of chrome on the Supra.

So, why the Supra you ask? Well, who would you rather take home from the ball, Cinderella or the ugly step-sister? :)

Can't really go wrong can I.
IMHO, no. No, you can't.

Last edited:

mrmike

Silver Member
I owned a Starphonic Aluminum for a while. I found it and the Supra to be similar in sound only slightly drier and built a hell of lot better. I guess I like the Supra's sound a little more because that's the one I kept.

bobacwrd

Exact same shell. Just different lugs and the bling factor of chrome on the Supra.

So, why the Supra you ask? Well, who would you rather take home from the ball, Cinderella or the ugly step-sister? :)

IMHO, no. No, you can't.

Just to add to what has already been stated...The Supra's have 10 lugs, the Acrolites have 8.

TsarBomba

I just bought one of these...should be here by next Wed. I'm happy I found a 2013 w/ a round badge and key-screws instead of flatheads, on the strainer.

I bought it after researching a bunch of different aluminum snares and then discovering this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU2hZ-Lpx48

I've owned two Supras and eventually sold them. They're just too plain and dry for my tastes. I think I even like the Acros better than the Supra sound, but am not crazy about Ludwig's hardware.

Whatever you decide, you can't go wrong w/ anything folks have suggested here!

Attachments

markdrum

Silver Member
"So, why the Supra you ask? Well, who would you rather take home from the ball, Cinderella or the ugly step-sister? :)"

Well, I've got both with them dating back to the early seventies and the Acro is aging a lot better. Cinderella looked better out on the dance floor but her face peeling off is a real buzz kill. It's amazing how much better she looked with the chrome makeup! I honestly like the Acro better but the Pearls are about as good and the Ultracast is a monster! The Yamahas are great too. Confused yet? Just go down to how ever many music stores that you can and try out every aluminum snare that you can find. You can still find the Pearl Sensitone Eltes in the 6.5" depth but you really have to look. Happy hunting.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Wy messaged me and told me about a deal on pearl sensitone elites.

I wonder if the starphonic sounds much better. It will cost twice as much and I know pearl are gonna be great quality.

I do like the 6" depth of the starphonic though.

TsarBomba

I wonder if the starphonic sounds much better. It will cost twice as much and I know pearl are gonna be great quality.
I had the Sensitone 6.5"...it's an *awesome* drum. I miss it, I really wish I hadn't sold it. I didn't like the hoops so much though...pearl's 2.3mm hoops seem to have a really deep profile and are more rigid (better quality) than you see from others.

Sounded great though...tons of character. I found it way more interesting (and made much better) than the Supra.

longgun

Gold Member
"So, why the Supra you ask? Well, who would you rather take home from the ball, Cinderella or the ugly step-sister? :)"

Well, I've got both with them dating back to the early seventies and the Acro is aging a lot better. Cinderella looked better out on the dance floor but her face peeling off is a real buzz kill. It's amazing how much better she looked with the chrome makeup!
yep................that Supra Acne isn't very attractive................................but when the (stage) lights go out...............watch out!