Where's Ken? (Deltadrummer)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Haven't heard much from Ken I was just checking to see if he's OK.
Mr. Marino, are you still with us?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I hope he's still with us. I think he disappeared after he posted a video. But when we spoke last when he came out for NAMM he was talking about moving back to California. I wonder if he's making that happen? That would be cool.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Funny you brought this up. I've been thinking the same thing.

Then I remembered I have his cell phone number from NAMM, so I called him.
He's alive and good, just taking a break from the net. He'll be back at some point. Hopefully soon. I miss the guy around here.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Yes, add me to the chorus too. There was a misunderstanding that probably didn't help matters, but I'm sure Ken's just got other priorities right now.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Funny you brought this up. I've been thinking the same thing.

Then I remembered I have his cell phone number from NAMM, so I called him.
He's alive and good, just taking a break from the net. He'll be back at some point. Hopefully soon. I miss the guy around here.
Good one, DED. Glad he's well and I miss the in-depth chats. I've been wondering about him but too chickeny to make contact ... and there are worse fates than taking a break from the net.

TTNW

Pioneer Member
You guys are so awesome. I hope somebody checks on me someday if I go off the DW grid.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Ken, No Answer,

Ken, No Answer,

Ken, No answer,

OK, I called him three times and he didn't answer.
That's all that I can do.

Were some of you mean to him a while back when he posted some video here?
I think that you were.
I think that some people here should apologize.

M

mediocrefunkybeat

I PM'd him after the whole thread affair. I don't think we were particularly rude, just being honest - the conduct was probably poor from both sides ultimately. I offered to let the whole thing drop and start afresh and didn't get a response; I still stand by what I PM'd him though.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Were some of you mean to him a while back when he posted some video here?
I think that you were.
I think that some people here should apologize.
Not quite the way I saw it Bob. I didn't comment in that thread, but I followed the whole sordid saga. If there is any apology owing, it ain't from anyone posting here.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
You guys are so awesome. I hope somebody checks on me someday if I go off the DW grid.
I would miss you if you were absent for a while Phillippe. I feel that way about all the "regulars" here. Except maybe Bob.

Bob knows I kid, luv ya dog...

I had forgotten about the situation Ken had with his playing posts. That's why he's a Casper. I hope he returns soon.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
The youtube link is locked on the old thread. Is there any way to see/hear the track originally discussed? I was able to access the Rock Steady link.

aydee

Platinum Member

I do hope he comes back. Its a shame really, because Ken is a fine contributor to this forum on so many levels.

He told me he was a little peeved with the way the thread went. I hope the frustration wears off soon.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Ken is a longtime member, well liked by most (can't please everybody) who is a very knowledgeable music historian and teacher. He put up a vid of some of his playing and it got critiqued pretty honestly and it hit a nerve with him. That's my take on it.
But he has been part of the fabric here since I first stopped in in 2008 and I was wondering about him.

I think about the regulars here a lot when I'm not here. Because drummers rock.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Ken is a longtime member, well liked by most (can't please everybody) who is a very knowledgeable music historian and teacher. He put up a vid of some of his playing and it got critiqued pretty honestly and it hit a nerve with him. That's my take on it.
Yep, that covers the situation spot on. It's not always easy to be critiqued negatively but honest feedback is heaps better than being ignored (which sucks) or given sweet lies (which would be patronising).

Has anyone seen Lutz?

mattsmith

Platinum Member
It's not always easy to be critiqued negatively but honest feedback is heaps better than being ignored (which sucks) or given sweet lies (which would be patronising).
Yeah I agree with that up to a point. The initial comments are never so incorrect, and in this case a lot of what was said was on the money. But when it gets testy(usually around post #20) then the pile on guys chime in and most of those guys are clowns pretending to know what they're talking about, when they only comment to be seen and heard in a fantasy universe that doesn't match up with their real world. They're also the same ones (almost always older guys) who like to judge the behavior of others when their own issues are apparent to anyone. I've dealt with posers like this since I got on the Internet and lately I've run out of patience with them. So from that perspective I got Ken's vibe entirely. They're also the ones who like to call guys like me pompous young guys when the reality is they're infant drummers. And I'm sorry that too needs to be said. This of course doesn't apply to our level headed regulars (MFB, Polly, Andy, Larry and a dozen or so more) who get it it and can also play the drums on a good level or have sophisticated ears that are obvious under any evaluative scale.

As for the video...yep the mixed opinions were cool...if it had stuck only to that. But when borderline trolls who you know for a fact are lying about their own careers in drumming are telling you to grow a pair (as happened in that thread) then all bets are off.

Again, sorry if that sounds arrogant but frankly this is a behavior I'm tired of seeing and when you reach a certain point you just aren't as accepting of it as you may once have been. Ken has a nice academic career and he's used to that pecking order. So (even if some of what is said is even partially true) when Joe Poser says you suck on the heels of your knowledgeable pals giving you some harsh truths then...enough.

Last edited:
M

mediocrefunkybeat

Most of the actual 'bad stuff', i.e. the personal attacks and the like have been deleted anyhow. Needless to say it all got a lot worse.

Mark_S

Silver Member
It is a very scary prospect, uploading your playing for all to see. I've not been brave enough yet but I'm hoping to post some playing soon - I don't mind you guys seeing and giving constructive critism but I am worried about stuff being on youtube for all to see along with all the horrid cutting comments some people put, a tame example being simply "you suck".

It's a shame there's a not a way to put stuff up on here that only members of drummerworld can see.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Oh yeah, now I remember. I went to bed and there were disagreements but nothing outlandish ... next day the thread was locked and DB was talking about posts being deleted and people banned.

Matt, on the plus side, your thread went from go to whoa and everyone who posted a comment was relaxed and just enjoying the music. Things are looking up :)

It is a very scary prospect, uploading your playing for all to see. I've not been brave enough yet but I'm hoping to post some playing soon - I don't mind you guys seeing and giving constructive critism but I am worried about stuff being on youtube for all to see along with all the horrid cutting comments some people put, a tame example being simply "you suck".

It's a shame there's a not a way to put stuff up on here that only members of drummerworld can see.
Yep, it's scary at first but there's a lot of knowledge on the board and you'll either have your approach validated or get ideas on improving the performance. It's usually a LOT more reliably sane than da ube.

jon e rotten

Not quite the way I saw it Bob. I didn't comment in that thread, but I followed the whole sordid saga. If there is any apology owing, it ain't from anyone posting here.
I agree with this, but maybe I missed the worst of it. I wanted to chime in, but since I haven't posted my playing, I stay out of these discussions.

If I ever get my house finished I plan on posting some of my playing, but I have to be honest, I feel a little wierd putting a video of myself on youtube. Seems a bit pretentious. (maybe that's the wrong word, not sure what I'm trying to get at really)

Anyway, Ken if you're reading this thread, come back, you were one of the best posters on here.