Where in UK for bearing edge re-cut?

Mark_S

Silver Member
Similar to the other thread about re-cutting bearing edges; can anyone recommend somewhere in the UK?

Thanks!

Too Many Songs

I'd be really interested in hearing any replies to this as well. Highwood advertise an edge recutting service but, as has been said in other threads, it is really hard to get in touch with Highwood. Certainly I've never had a reply to any of my emails sent to them. But they do make high quality drums and have the facilities to do a good job so it might be worth trying to get hold of them. Let me know how you get on.

TMS

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Guru Drumworks don't offer an edge recutting service, mainly because most edges on Guru drums are either completely or mostly formed on the lathe during shell turning. It's done like that because it's by far the most accurate way of cutting an edge. As you can imagine, setting up a shell on the lathe, especially when that shell is unlikely to be accurately round, is quite a process. That said, some edge forms are done on the router table, so I'll ask Dean if we can accomodate a DW forum member.

Mark, what shells have you got? Are they wrapped? & what edge profile do you want?

As a general rule, cutting a bearing edge on a drum that's wrapped is a very bad idea (depending on how good the wrap finish is, especially at the joint)

Last edited:

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Ok Mark, just had a word with Dean. We don't normally offer this service on drums made by other companies, but, depending on the info you can provide, we'll be able to do that for you as a DW forum member. If the edges are reasonably flat, & you just want them re-profiling, it's not a big job. If the edges aren't flat, then there's a lot more work involved. The logistics of sending shells by courier, Dean having to unpack, do the work, repackage to a high specification, arrange courier, paperwork, etc, turns an apparently simple job into the best part of a day's work. If you can get up to Billingham, Dean has offered to recut the edges while you wait, although that may take anything from a couple of hours, to most of a day, depending on existing condition.

Please get back to me with as much info as possible.

Andy.

Mark_S

Silver Member
Hey KIS thanks for asking I really appreciate that!

I'd be happy to make a day of it and take a trip, I didn't like the thought of sending any of it through the post.

So far the main problem is the batter side of my 10" tom - there is a definite dip on one part of the bearing edge which I'm guessing is a stick hit. I'll wip the head off and take a picture later on this evening.

I've not closely inspected the other drums yet but I will do this weekend. I've not had them that long, it is the Sonor kit I picked up recently 2nd hand.

The shells are Sonor S-Class Pro, and they are the "grained maple" finish. I'm not really sure how the finish is acheived on these drums, I don't think it is a wrap so that might not be a problem.

Basically what I'm after is re-finishing any bearing edges that are not smooth, preferably with the original profile if that's what works best for these shells.

If it turns out to be something that's a real pain in the backside to do, then no worries - but if it's doable without too much trouble then that'd be great :)

keep it simple

Platinum Member
No problems Mark, it's a pleasure to help out if we can. That picture will help a lot. If it's a deep dip, that may mean taking the whole end down to the depth of the bottom of the dip, then working the new edge from that point. You can only take things so far, until you're looking at lug distance issues & similar. Should be able to give you some idea from the photo.

Andy.

Mark_S

Silver Member
Ah, now I have choices. Decisions decisions.

@keep it simple: I never did get round to taking that photo, the weekend was a bit on the mad busy side. Also I'm a bit worried about taking the head off and having to re-seat it because it looks like I've got a gig a week on Saturday, and these are practically new heads. Do you think it does any harm to take seated heads off and put them back again? I mean do you think it'll tune up okay again?

Thanks!

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Ah, now I have choices. Decisions decisions.

@keep it simple: I never did get round to taking that photo, the weekend was a bit on the mad busy side. Also I'm a bit worried about taking the head off and having to re-seat it because it looks like I've got a gig a week on Saturday, and these are practically new heads. Do you think it does any harm to take seated heads off and put them back again? I mean do you think it'll tune up okay again?

Thanks!
No issues with taking a seated head off then putting it back on again, if you have good edges, lol!

I notice a couple of guys suggesting Eddie Ryan, and used with satisfaction too. As Eddie is clearly set up for cutting new bearing edges, & he has defined & very reasonable pricing, I'd say he's got to be a good bet. Guru Drumworks isn't set up for this, but very happy to try & help out if you were stuck. I wasn't aware Ediie offered this service.

Mark_S

Silver Member
No issues with taking a seated head off then putting it back on again, if you have good edges, lol!

I notice a couple of guys suggesting Eddie Ryan, and used with satisfaction too. As Eddie is clearly set up for cutting new bearing edges, & he has defined & very reasonable pricing, I'd say he's got to be a good bet. Guru Drumworks isn't set up for this, but very happy to try & help out if you were stuck. I wasn't aware Ediie offered this service.
Yeah I figured that'd be easier, I didn't want to just say that though because you'd gone to the trouble of asking for me which I really appreciate :) Hopefully I'll still get to meet you and Dean someday.