Where do you go to learn to play the music that you like?

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Is it through lessons or by transcribing parts or watching video performances? Or a combination of those and other techniques as well.

Netz Ausg

Silver Member
I've mostly just listened and or watched and emulated what I see. I've never transcribed something and the lessons I did have in my early days didn't really do much for me.

Everyone works differently though (hence the myriad different revision techniques taught by schools/institutes) - so what works for me may not work for everyone!

A

Anthony Amodeo

I've mostly just listened and or watched and emulated what I see. I've never transcribed something and the lessons I did have in my early days didn't really do much for me.

Everyone works differently though (hence the myriad different revision techniques taught by schools/institutes) - so what works for me may not work for everyone!
I guarantee if you studied now with a good instructor you would be amazed by the improvements you would make

doesnt matter how long you have been playing

mikel

Platinum Member
I listen to the music I like. That is all.

Then If I want to play it, I interpret it. I get the feel and the style, but I am not interested in copying it.

kettles

Gold Member
Using books, playing songs, but hanging round drummers who play a certain style is probably the best way to understand that style.

choki

Obviously the first thing is just listening. Copy/transcribe/emulate what you favorite players are doing. Learn as much as you can about your favorite players, and try to figure out the drummers that influenced their playing. It's always good to study the source of what made your favorite players play the way they do.

Finding a teacher always helps as well. I would go out to hear as many local bands as possible, and find somebody that plays a similar style to what you are looking for. A lot of players will teach on the side, mostly because making a living on gigs alone is hard to do.

Numberless

Platinum Member
I'll use everything possible, I listen to music, go to live shows, transcribe, get books, teacher, youtube videos, sleep with the metronome on, whatever man, I'll try anything at least once.

Souljacker

Silver Member
Well I guess, lessons gave me a lot of skills needed to be able to play songs.

I figure them out by ear and maybe turn to the odd video if I need to check how a drummer might be playing a certain section.