where can i buy gold die cast hoops?

bstan

ebay doesnt have the sizes or right number of lugs. and drummaker only has brass. i could settle for triple flanged if theyre 2.3 mm

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
nah i got a 24K gold on my snare right now. mine ran about 56 a piece
Well, you got me. I thought it was only ever used on "one off" "limited edition" "100th anniversary" drums etc etc, where the hardware isn't run of the mill production stuff.

Where did you get the snare hoops? Contact them and see if they can lead you to a source for the rest.

bstan

i got em off ebay i tried the seller but nothing going. there are quite a few drum kits out there that are special made outfitted with gold hardware, so the more im researching the more im concluding mine are off a snare from someone who swapped them for something else.

im aware theyre plated, i need to upgrade and im hoping to match the snare with the toms

i may settle with brass if this search keeps coming up goose egg

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Try Gretsch and DW,but I think it's just too expensive to manufacture and warehouse gold plated hardware,when brass looks the same and is loads cheaper.Besides,what would make a drum a special limited edition ,if you could buy gold plated hardware 24/7/365.Not so special then is it?

Steve B

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
What you have are either brass or gold plated hoops. The '24 Karat' moniker refers to the gold used in the plating process - which doesn't rely upon the gold itself as a structural material. Metal hoops are generally made from steel, zinc, aluminium, brass or a chrome-plated base metal (usually mostly zinc) all of which are tried-and-tested and stand up to the rigours of playing.

Most of the time, 'gold' hardware (in appearance) is actually just brass. Gold-plated hardware is very difficult to get hold of because, as others have said, it is generally reserved for special edition drums or high-end snares. Getting a full set of hoops would be very difficult and prohibitive. You're better off getting brass.

bstan

again im aware that it is plating. mine are 24 k gold plated hoops. im looking for some to match the gold plated i have on my snare. brass are just a little off but i may settle. but even brass in a die cast are hard to find in the right size

tamadrm

Platinum Member
nah i got a 24K gold on my snare right now. mine ran about 56 a piece
Sorry but there's no way you paid 56 bucks for 24 K gold plated hoops.Those hoops may look like gold,and some makers say the're gold( in color ...not content),but the're brass plated.In fact Drumaker has them for.....56.00 brass plated.

The price of real gold is close to 1800.00 US per ounce.There is just no way the're 24 K plated.

If you doubt it,just call the 800 number and ask.I'm sure the'll tell you the're brass plated.

Steve B

bstan

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I did.Drum builders that offer 24 K gold plated hardware do so with a 15 to 20 % additional charge,and will not sell gold plated hardware separately.So a 1000 snare will cost you 1200.The mark up is already way up there,and the gold plating is extremey thin

Gretsch diecast gold COLOR rims are NOT 24 K gold plated.Nowhere in that auction does it say 24K.It says gold....and as the saying goes...all that glitters is not gold.There are many terms that are used when it comes to gold.24 K gold for 79 bucks.....no way.

All the drum supply houses that sell gold color rims,sell triple flange rims for around 50-70 dollars.These rims are steel,or zinc die cast brass electroplate and look like gold.But nowhere does it state 24 K gold.AK custom drums offer solid brass and 24 K gold over brass.Not for 56,or 79 bucks for sure.

I also don't know whre you got that 1000 figure from,certainly not from me.All i said is that gold is over 1800 per oz.

Steve B

bstan

third time im posting this, im aware they are plated, that is exactly what i have been looking for. 24k gold plated.

also ive just finished the research and concluded that all makers of the 24k gold plated hoops rarely sell them individually and almost never sell them for toms and when they do theyre very very expensive. but as for mine i found out they originally belonged to a snare similar to mine the premium maple black panther but were swapped out and sold cheap.
ive been told by someone from black panther and one from dw that ebay is the best place to find a plated gold hoop because this happens from time to time, but to individually buy gold plated hoops directly would costs an ungodly ammount. the black panther snares use the gold plated hoops yet the snares are still very reasonably priced considering the quality of the snare