When's the best time to buy a used shell pack?

beatdat

Well, I found the answer to my question, and the best time to buy a used shell pack was yesterday at 6:25 p.m.

Thanks to forum member jdsg, I was put in touch with a seller of used drum gear who lives about an hour's drive from me.

After trading in five old Sabian cymbals (a splash and four crashes), I came home with 16" and 18" Sabian AA Explosion crashes (which sound great together) and a barely used six piece set of Tama Silverstars (10" and 12" mounted toms, 14" and 16" floor toms, 22" inch bass drum and 14" snare). To top it off, the seller had replaced the stock heads with new Evans coated G2s on the toms, frosted ECs on the floor toms and and EMAD batter head on the bass drum. While the colour is absolutely hideous (Silver Metallic), I am absolutely thrilled with how they sound and what I paid for them.

Again, a big thanks to jdsg for putting me in touch with the seller, and if anyone is interested in getting in touch with someone who buys, sells and trades quality (and I mean quality) drums and cymbals (truly, quality stuff, I think my kit was the lowest end kit there), please let me know. I would happily recommend him to anyone.

DaleClark

I also think one can never go wrong with Yamaha Stage Customs. I mean really....Under $700 for a really high quality, road worthy kit (I see them in live settings all the time) BRAND NEW. Plus, the SC always look much more expensive than they really are.

whiteknightx

Silver Member
I had a set of Catalinas. I didn't care for the snare, but the rest were decent. And the number of lugs changes, it's not 5 lugs on all of them, just the smaller 3 toms, depending on the era. They are on their third generation of them now I think. $700 CAN seems like a pretty decent price to me if they are decent.

beatdat

OP here.

Someone on Craigslist is selling a set of maple Gretsch Catalina drums (8, 10, 12" toms, 14 and 16" floor toms, 22" bass drum plus snare) for $700.00CAD.

Reviews seem pretty favourable, but I'm concerned that, because the toms only have 5 lugs per side and the floor toms only have 6, they won't hold their tunings for long. Anyone have any experience with this?

Someone else is selling a set of birch Tama Rockstars in the same sizes for $1,200.00CAD.

Leaning towards the Catalina's, but I'm open to suggestions.

I've noticed that, while lower-end and higher-end kits are readily available, mid-level kits don't seem to be, so I'm kind of keen on picking one of these up. Although I'm a Tama fan, the Catalina's seem to be a better deal?

Any thoughts?

drummom

Look for new as well. I tried to find a used set but the prices were almost the same as new and since I have no clue what I'm buying, I worried about buying a set used. I got an Mapex Armory for $550 vs. $800 as the color was discontinued (which was the color I wanted). I had been looking for months. A lot of the cheaper sets used with cymbals had really cheap cymbals and stands that everyone here warned me against.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
I got my current set by going to Craigslist a few times a day. I found a Gretsch Renown set for 900.00 but didn't want to spend that much so I passed on it, two weeks later it was posted for 700.00. I was able to get it for 650.00. People buy and sell year round in my area and I don't notice any better time to look. Just keep looking daily and something will pop up.

beatdat

I know many will balk, the entry level kits like Tama Superstar, DW Design, Yamaha Stage custom and the likes from other makers would be excellent for what you need. The quality is so good on entry level kits these days. Plus, you can buy add on toms, etc cheap. Then save and get a higher end kit for your main kit.
The Superstars seem like great drums, and I'd be interested in them, but I don't think they're available in Canada. One of the guys at Long & McQuade (big Canadian retailer), said they're not.

Anyone know for sure?

DaleClark

Yeah, I was thinking of waiting until after Christmas in hopes of finding someone wanting to unload their kit either to pays some bills or because they've since upgraded or lost interest.

What I'll be looking for is a four piece shell pack for the rehearsal space I've recently leased and I share with a few other bands. Right now, one of the drummers in one of the other bands has loaned us his maple Pearl shells, which are pretty sweet, but lack a proper floor tom (the sizes are 22" bass, and 10", 12" and 14" toms - the latter substituting for a floor tom). So, I'd like something comparable that includes a proper floor tom (or two).

As an aside, I eventually want to get my own kit on top of a kit for the rehearsal space, but it would be very specific in terms of sizes (20" bass, 12" tom and 14", 16" and 18" floor toms) and will likely be a set of maple Tama Starclassics.

That being said, there was a set of Ayotte drums on Craigslist a few months ago in the same sizes (minus the 18" floor tom), which I would have loved to pick up, but alas I didn't have the funds at the time to buy them.
I know many will balk, the entry level kits like Tama Superstar, DW Design, Yamaha Stage custom and the likes from other makers would be excellent for what you need. The quality is so good on entry level kits these days. Plus, you can buy add on toms, etc cheap. Then save and get a higher end kit for your main kit.

calan

Silver Member
Witty! And would be true, if I suffered from GAS like some of you.
Less to do with GAS (I think my last kit acquisition was 3 or 4 years ago), more with the almost certainty of a better deal popping up after you've recently purchased and not being liquid enough to jump on it.

beatdat

In the States the month of April when income tax is due can yield some good purchases with private parties selling gear in need of some quick cash.
Great idea!

As a rule of thumb, I believe towards the end of any given month is the best time to look to pick up anything used, as that's when people need cash to pay bills. Cold but true.
Cool. Thanks.
About a week or two after you've already bought one.
Witty! And would be true, if I suffered from GAS like some of you.

There are a couple of guys in the GTA (one in Hamilton and one in Cambridge) who usually have good deals on used kits depending on what you are looking for. If you need a cheapo but decent practice kit, these guys will have something. The guy in Cambridge generally has an amazing selection of high-end gear available and tends to sell minty stuff. The guy in Hamilton often has player's kits super cheap. I bought a beat up vintage 1960's Premier from him for a couple hundred bucks that I restored and sounds amazing. Shoot me a PM and I can give you their kijiji links.
Thanks. Will do.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Many retailers start blowing out stock of discontinued lines after the NAMM show in January to make room for the new stuff.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
In the States the month of April when income tax is due can yield some good purchases with private parties selling gear in need of some quick cash.

whiteknightx

Silver Member
There are a couple of guys in the GTA (one in Hamilton and one in Cambridge) who usually have good deals on used kits depending on what you are looking for. If you need a cheapo but decent practice kit, these guys will have something. The guy in Cambridge generally has an amazing selection of high-end gear available and tends to sell minty stuff. The guy in Hamilton often has player's kits super cheap. I bought a beat up vintage 1960's Premier from him for a couple hundred bucks that I restored and sounds amazing. Shoot me a PM and I can give you their kijiji links.
Yes, I've bought a ton of stuff from Jim in Cambridge, he's always got something great.

As a rule of thumb, I believe towards the end of any given month is the best time to look to pick up anything used, as that's when people need cash to pay bills. Cold but true.

jdsg

beatdat

If someone upgrades his/her drums over Christmas, you might find one or two in January, but I don't think this is a hard-and-fast rule.

The key to finding a good deal is patience.
The only pattern I can think of is the inevitable sell-off of beginner drumsets six to nine months after Christmas when the kids lose interest, but those kits are nearly worthless for a serious drummer.
Yeah, I was thinking of waiting until after Christmas in hopes of finding someone wanting to unload their kit either to pays some bills or because they've since upgraded or lost interest.

OP, what kind of kit are you looking for specifically? But yeah, I'd say aside from January, when guys have bought a new kit for Christmas and decide to move their old kit, there is no real specific time of year like some other products.
What I'll be looking for is a four piece shell pack for the rehearsal space I've recently leased and I share with a few other bands. Right now, one of the drummers in one of the other bands has loaned us his maple Pearl shells, which are pretty sweet, but lack a proper floor tom (the sizes are 22" bass, and 10", 12" and 14" toms - the latter substituting for a floor tom). So, I'd like something comparable that includes a proper floor tom (or two).

As an aside, I eventually want to get my own kit on top of a kit for the rehearsal space, but it would be very specific in terms of sizes (20" bass, 12" tom and 14", 16" and 18" floor toms) and will likely be a set of maple Tama Starclassics.

That being said, there was a set of Ayotte drums on Craigslist a few months ago in the same sizes (minus the 18" floor tom), which I would have loved to pick up, but alas I didn't have the funds at the time to buy them.

whiteknightx

Silver Member
OP, what kind of kit are you looking for specifically? But yeah, I'd say aside from January, when guys have bought a new kit for Christmas and decide to move their old kit, there is no real specific time of year like some other products.