When The Levee Breaks drum beat

Sticks Of Fury

Hello.
I have a question about the When The Levee Breaks drum beat. Is this actually a cool beat or does it get so much attention just because of the way the drums sound? My opinion is that I think it gets so much attention because of the way the drums sound. An overlooked beat from around that same time period that is cooler is Behind The Wall Of Sleep by Black Sabbath. What are your opinions/feedback/comments about the When The Levee Breaks beat?

Wavelength

Platinum Member
I have a question about the When The Levee Breaks drum beat. Is this actually a cool beat or does it get so much attention just because of the way the drums sound?
Yes, it's actually a cool beat. The International Office of Cool Drum Beats added it to their catalog of official cool drum beats in 1981.

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member
Hello.
I have a question about the When The Levee Breaks drum beat. Is this actually a cool beat or does it get so much attention just because of the way the drums sound? My opinion is that I think it gets so much attention because of the way the drums sound. An overlooked beat from around that same time period that is cooler is Behind The Wall Of Sleep by Black Sabbath. What are your opinions/feedback/comments about the When The Levee Breaks beat?
It get s a lot of attention because of the way the drums feel. Note placement is everything. And wave, I thought it was 1982 when that appointment took place?

stasz

Platinum Member
It get s a lot of attention because of the way the drums feel. Note placement is everything. And wave, I thought it was 1982 when that appointment took place?
Correct me if I'm wrong but I read that planning committees initially discussed the idea in '81 but the induction wasn't made until '82. Of course that was when the IOCDB still actually voted on things... nowadays they'll let anything become a cool beat.

Matty G.

The recording of the drums is superb, no doubt, almost a little OVERdone, but cool for that reason... mostly I dig it because Bonham swings the s**t out of it! He sits waaaay back in the pocket, almost tooooooo faaaaaaarrrrr.... Haha. Hard to do. It's one of the quintessential Bonham pocket grooves, because of the sound AND the feel.

m1ck

From Wikipedia:

"According to Page, the song's structure "was a riff that I'd been working on, but Bonzo's drum sound really makes a difference on that point."[4] The famous drum performance was recorded by engineer Andy Johns by placing Bonham and a new drumkit at the bottom of a stairwell at Headley Grange, and recording it using two Beyerdynamic M160 microphones at the top, giving the distinctive resonant but slightly muffled sound.[5][6] Back in the Rolling Stones' mobile studio, Johns compressed the drum sound through two channels and added echo through guitarist Jimmy Page's Binson echo unit.[3] The performance was made on a brand new drum kit that had only just been delivered from the factory.[3] The drum break has long been popular in hip hop and dance music circles for its "heavy" sound, and has been sampled for many tracks.[7] At one time the remaining band members took legal action against Beastie Boys for their use of this drum sample on "Rhymin & Stealin" from Licensed to Ill.[8]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_the_Levee_Breaks

Notice that there's no mention anywhere of it being a "cool" beat. So you guys who think it is are obviously mistaken.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Notice that there's no mention anywhere of it being a "cool" beat. So you guys who think it is are obviously mistaken.
But just the fact that the Beastie Boys "stole" it PROVES that it's cool. And that Zepp. "took legal action" (whatever that means)....extra added cool points.

N

nhzoso

The recording of the drums is superb, no doubt, almost a little OVERdone, but cool for that reason... mostly I dig it because Bonham swings the s**t out of it! He sits waaaay back in the pocket, almost tooooooo faaaaaaarrrrr.... Haha. Hard to do. It's one of the quintessential Bonham pocket grooves, because of the sound AND the feel.

Yeah, I guess we should all thank Carmine Appice for this beat in some form or another.

T

trkdrmr

Yeah, I guess we should all thank Carmine Appice for this beat in some form or another.
You seem to be stuck on this recurrent theme. I was hoping you'd have definative proof that what Carmine claims is only a myth. You are trodding around angry about it, but I have not seen a counterpoint yet, other than calling Carmine a liar in so many words.

Ekim

Silver Member
I have no idea about this guy's attitude towards Mr. Appice.

But talking about drummers Derek Sherinian (ex-Dream Theater, Planet X, Billy Idol) felt compelled to talk about Carmine telling anyone that will listen that he made Bonham what he was:

http://www.dereksherinian.com/
"I see Carmine around LA all the time, he is for sure one of the pioneers of hard rock drumming, as it is documented that John Bonham was influenced by Carmine....and if you missed the document, Carmine will gladly remind you himself!"

Something tells me Mr. Appice says this A LOT. True or not, it's a bit tiresome to hear. ALL THE TIME.

That apparently holds for those that know Mr. Appice personally and worked with him, too.

T

trkdrmr

Something tells me Mr. Appice says this A LOT. True or not, it's a bit tiresome to hear. ALL THE TIME.

That apparently holds for those that know Mr. Appice personally and worked with him, too.
I can believe it. It would get tiresome after the 6th time. "Did I ever tell you about the time I got Bonham to try double kicks?" "Yes uncle Carmine...6 times so far..."

However, none of the zep or Bonham books contest that claim. If it's history, it's history. It would not lessen what Bonzo did.

Maybe it would be easier to deal with if it was broken down into a timeline like this:

Bonzo B.C. (Before Carmine)
= A hard hitter
= Influenced by Krupa, and according to the Steve Smith dvd, Max Roach and jazz
= A very capable rock drummer

Bonzo A.D. (Appice Derived)
= Improved his foot technique beyond most drummers of the day
= Tried double kick
= Got new ideas

So if Bonzo before Carmine was the "80% soloution" Then perhaps Carmine was just a catalyst for what Bonzo already had inside him, but didn't know how to organize.

I think the technic comes from the drummer and the engineer has the sole responsibility for the drum sound. Critics may say it is the way the drummer hits the snare , blah blah . They say Phil Rud hits the center of the snare hard that's why AC/DC has a deep drum sound... which is BS to me... it is the sound engineer or the drum technician that made that sound.

If Phil Rud / John Bonham hits my crappy snare it would sound the same.. I know!

harryconway

Platinum Member
I think the technic comes from the drummer and the engineer has the sole responsibility for the drum sound. Critics may ... it is the sound engineer or the drum technician that made that sound.
Total blanket statement, so certainly "not true" in plenty of cases. You have, "self admitted", a crappy snare. Is that your fault, your drum techs, or your sound engineers? Probably your fault, and yours alone. Now, in a recording situation, since you brought "crappy equipment" to the party, it might be the producer who, picks up the phone, calls a local cartage house, gets a drum doctor, rents a snare, or a kit, and gets the game started quick quick. (gee, we know this Gretsch kit sounds good, we've recorded over 2000 albums with it). In the case of John Bonham, and Phil Rudd, they're playing the drums (and the sizes) they play because that's the sound they want.

Vipercussionist

Silver Member
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_the_Levee_Breaks

It's IMPLIED that it's a Cool Beat! (note the capital letters for proper names) In fact it's SUCH a Cool Beat that one NEVER has to blatantly SAY so as it should be obvious to all but the uninitiated . . . you ARE initiated . . . RIGHT?

vvvvvvv BE SURE TO CLICK THAT BONHAM LINK!!! vvvvvvv