What's your musical situation?

SAINTDRUMS

I'm in a cover band based in Rhode Island named The Senders. We play danceable Classic Rock up to and including select current rock. This band was established in 1983 - hence next year will our 30th year as a band! We book a year in advance and currently play 42-44 weekends a year. Most gigs are on Fridays/Saturdays, but in the summer months we play Fri./Sat./Sun.

Music is alive and well in little "Rhody". Although honestly some gigs are a lot of work, I still have a blast playing and doing my thing. I'll keep doing this until it's no longer fun! I keep a day job and fortunately my wife is great with the whole situation (as long as things get done that need to get done) and my son plays drums & guitar so he doesn't have any complaints since we share a common hobby.

Just so you know, I'm the "baby" of the band at 47 years old.....

Last edited:

opentune

Platinum Member
That's a funny thing. My group has three academics working in museums plus a designer and dopey old me and we also play a lot of Mowtown, pop and lighter rock (and light jazz).

I wonder if there's a connection between academia and placid musical forms? :)
Umm, if there is a connection I've clearly broken it. I'm a professor and play in a rock R&B bands. Nothing placid about the Small Faces, Hendrix or Humble Pie we play.

Assuming that those who use 'that side' of their brain for math and science cannot groove or be artistic can be misguided. Many pure forms of pure science converge with true art forms.

Admittedly though, some of my colleagues are uber-surprised to hear I am a drummer...to rock music! Stereotypes, we love and use them but they are dangerous and often broken.

A

Anthony Amodeo

teaching
gigging
recording
and repeat in no particular order

.....life is good

ddrumman2004

I was in a band but quit after I had a quadruple heart bypass 6 weeks ago.

I'm back to playing at home and there are plans for the lead singer of that band and the lead guitar player of the same band and myself getting together and starting a band of our own.

But in the meantime, the lead singer, also a guitar player, and I are going into a studio so I can add drum tracks to some songs he's recorded.

No more smoke filled, country honky tonk dives for me!

SticksEasy

I'm a local hired gun.

I currently play for a pop punk band (which is my dream project), but I also play for a jam band that plays every Monday night here in town when I need the cash.

My band just cut our first EP. We're releasing it independently later this month.

Oh, and I also have a friend who plays for a classic rock cover band (doing the bar, and party thing.) When he can't play I fill in for him.

I've touched on studio sessions and live work with various bands in my area, but my pop punk band 'The Best of Us' is my main, and seemingly permanent project.

I hope we're headed for something big... I'd be pleased with a record on a small indie label, and doing tours of the south east.

Bonestorm

I play in 2 metal bands, plus I'm the drummer for a metal studio project with some other folks from the scene.

Of the 2 bands I'm in, I play guitar in one, drums in the other...and both share all the same members with the exception of 1 guy in each. We've all been close friends and playing together for over 10 years (close to 20, in some cases). Basically, we're friends first and the bands are just what we do on the side...which I think is what has allowed us to stay together, even through multiple style/band name changes as our tastes evolved. Both bands might play out a couple times a year at this point (just too many "real life" things getting in the way for some of us), but we're still writing and recording albums.

Orko111

My musical situation is awesome. I have the drums in my garage!

I´m currently in the process of recording two albums. The first one is with my prog metal band and the other one is with a singer/songwriter.
Also an old grunge rock band that made a few albums back in the day and had a nice little fan base is reuniting for a rehearsal tomorrow. No strings attached but if it goes well a comeback might be on the cards.

I´m also a member of a "club" consisting of excellent musicians and every few months there is a show that they do with a particular theme, like english rock, disco, musicals...those shows are very popular and I am one of the drummers that plays regularly in that. It pays pretty well too because of how popular it is.

I also live in a fairly remote area so once in a while I do sit-ins for musicians and bands, mostly people that are friends, because it´s more convenient or cost efficient than bringing a drummer out here...haha.

steverok

Silver Member
I play drums in an original "power-punk" band called Shaved Hamster in South FL. My main project is I am recording my 5th CD of my own material. Songs are mostly guitar based, often jangly and melodic, with lots of vocal harmonies, percussion, and powerful drums. I also play solo acoustic open mic's, but not lately. I dig music, man.

jornthedrummer

Silver Member
I was in a band but quit after I had a quadruple heart bypass 6 weeks ago.

I'm back to playing at home and there are plans for the lead singer of that band and the lead guitar player of the same band and myself getting together and starting a band of our own.

But in the meantime, the lead singer, also a guitar player, and I are going into a studio so I can add drum tracks to some songs he's recorded.

No more smoke filled, country honky tonk dives for me!
Ddrumman2004 - thats a good reason to quit!