What's your latest purchase?

Forgot to add an Axis Longboard hihat stand.

Rick, after you've had some time to take that for a spin and if you have the time I'd love it if you could create a review thread for it. I had good friend that owned an Axis HH stand and I have a single pedal that is just the bee's knees. Been thinking about springing for the matching HH stand.

I scored a couple of Atlas mounts, finally bought a BD mounted cymbal stand and a 12mm to 9mm L rod and installed the cymbal arm. Looking forward to gigging it this weekend.

Just signed the adoption papers on these two a few months ago! Dunnett Cocobolo MonoPlyX (7" depth) and a Dunnett Classic 2N Stainless Steel (6.5" depth). I've been looking for a specific Rosewood snare for 25 years with no luck so I opted instead for the Cocobolo when I came across it. Had no intention of buying a metal snare until I heard the 2N. It was one of my few impulsive purchases.
Congratulations! Cocobolo is an excellent choice, with many tonal qualities similar to a variety of rosewoods.

Out of curiosity, what specific rosewood snare have you been searching for?

P.S. - all - My latest drum related purchases are 1,000 stainless steel flanged button m4 screws for fixing lugs to shells, & a 5 litre container of Fides shellac. Boring enough for you? ;)

Congratulations! Cocobolo is an excellent choice, with many tonal qualities similar to a variety of rosewoods.

Out of curiosity, what specific rosewood snare have you been searching for?

Thanks Andy. I've been on the hunt for three SOTA segmented snare drums since the mid 80's. Took me five years to locate my first--a used 8 X 14" African Padauk snare. I purchased it sight unseen (just rebuilt it several years ago). Since 1989 I've been looking for a SOTA Rosewood. Never turned one up. Guys who have them just won't turn them loose. I was also looking for a SOTA Walnut snare which I missed on eBay. It sold less than an hour before I came across the eBay posting a year ago. It took me nearly 30 years to come across two SOTAs for sale. I figured this may be my last shot at ever owning a cocobolo snare so I pulled the trigger.

602's baby...24" med ... 20" flat ride med... 18" thin crash... '69 15" SE hats... love 'em.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful cymbal set! The 15" S.E. hats are amazing instruments.

Here\s my latest purchase. On order from the factory in Germany it should be arriving in the next month or so,,,

Attachments

• pro_lite_snare_drums_brass.jpg
    pro_lite_snare_drums_brass.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 580
I brought one of these Roc N Soc thrones today.

It is my first drum throne. Wahoo !!!

IMG_1970.jpg

I have been using a doctors stool, one of these with no wheels, for a long time.

stool_PI.jpg

I bought this cymbal a few weeks ago, 22" A Zildjian. Any ideas, approximately, what year it was produced? It's a pretty good sounding ride.

Attachments

• zild1.jpeg
    zild1.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 574
  • zild2.jpg
    zild2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 571
Not exciting but I needed one for a couple songs we just added to our list. Hard to go to a music store and only buy this!

Attachments

• ching ring.jpg
    ching ring.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 525
The E-Kit which I picked up for a good price second hand, and on my violin is my new mute to protect the ears of the innocent.

DTX750.png

Rick, after you've had some time to take that for a spin and if you have the time I'd love it if you could create a review thread for it. I had good friend that owned an Axis HH stand and I have a single pedal that is just the bee's knees. Been thinking about springing for the matching HH stand.

I scored a couple of Atlas mounts, finally bought a BD mounted cymbal stand and a 12mm to 9mm L rod and installed the cymbal arm. Looking forward to gigging it this weekend.

I have had the chance to gig with the Axis hihat. It is heavier in weight than I expected but still much lighter than a comparable top of the line hihat from DW or Tama TC. The legs do notfold that compactly so you need to have a relatively large space in your hardware bag. You need a rug for this pedal as it will start creeping away for. You when played vigorously.

Pros
Very smooth
Well engineered
Foot plate folds up compactly
Easy spring tension adjustment.

Cons
The clutch is finicky and hard to get set right and it loosened upon me in the middle of a song.
The legs do not fold compactly like some other hihats

I have been looking for about 3 months to round out my snare "collection" with a brass snare. So many great choices to be had but I couldn't pass on this one when I found it brand new, for less than the Black Magic snares retail for.

Being drop shipped from Monroe N.C.. I'm currently awaiting tracking numbers.

images

Just picked up a 21" Zildjian K Custom Hybrid Ride today. This will basically be my go-to rock ride, for when the 24" K Light won't do.

I was surprised at how damn big the bell is on this cymbal, but man is it ever clear. It has wicked cut to it, and the unlathed part has some serious stick definition going on. Plus it's crashable? Perfect rock/metal ride.

1960 cob.. sounds great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked this kit up last week, looking forward to gigging with it on Saturday.

Attachments

• dw.jpg
    dw.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 466
1979 Olive badge Supraphonic LM400. Got it off Craigslist for $75 including a Pearl heavy duty stand, Beato bag and Zildjian stick holder. Chrome has been professionally painted black. It sounds amazing but I'm dying to strip it and get down to the metal. Has the Ludalloy sticker inside but no other markings. Any suggestions on how to strip it and refinish?

Back