What's your latest purchase?

Whoooo, great, I would have bought the drums instead of the car as well!!!! Funny, Imthought that with my 7 cymbals, I might have too much....so, last purchase, 10" Zildjan splash, Meinl Byzance 17" dark crash, Meinl Byzance 19 dark classic crash, Zildjan A custom 23" ride 25th anniversary mode like, 14" Sabain AAXplosion crash plus I finally paid the guy who sold me his Tama Royal Star 1973, so, I got the cymbal so, Zildjan Hihat 14" made in Canada 70's, medium crash 16" and medium heavy 16", both same vintage cymbals....
The even more funny thing is that I'm not the drummer in my band, I'm the keys player but I love instruments and I love drums....So, it's our Practice kit....
And yes, not received yet on its way, a Tama Star Reserve plain Mapple 14"X5", crazy snare, big price too but it will complement well my chrome over steel Tama snare 1978 that came with the kit.

Hey guys, long time no speak. This year I got a Sakae Almighty Birch in 10, 12, 14, 16, 22 sizes. It's mostly the same as the old japanese recording custom.

View attachment 87075
Wow Duck long time no see. Love your kit-damn nice!!!!

I custom ordered this Sonor SQ2 drum kit and combined it with Sonor Signature Series Hardware. I had a choice to buy a new car or this drum set - I am more than pleased with my decision. This set is a Sonor SQ2 Medium German Beech Shells in Birdseye Cherry Satin Finish and all drums are made with extended shell depths since I was looking for a particular low-end sound.
Kuhl, you are definitely going to stand apart in today's minimalistic, shallow-tom scene, my friend. Likely, though, you are on the cutting edge as the old becomes new again, and again, and again! Expect to see more uber-kits like your's showing up soon. The kit is beautiful.

GeeDeeEmm

Beauty! I'm lovin' mine!

Last time we spoke you were kicking yourself for not making a move on the drum, yet here it is. What happened?

A buyer back out last minute on a sale?

That's exactly what happened. DCP had a buyer back out before delivery so they put it back up for sale. I knew I might not get a third chance so I jumped on it. Given the expense, I asked about cancelling an existing special order to help offset the cost but Sonor had already begun production. Cast bronze was the one missing hole in my collection. This drum sounds like nothing else I own; it's even very distinct in tone from my Joyful Noise seamless bronze. Special drum.

That's exactly what happened. DCP had a buyer back out before delivery so they put it back up for sale. I knew I might not get a third chance so I jumped on it. Given the expense, I asked about cancelling an existing special order to help offset the cost but Sonor had already begun production. Cast bronze was the one missing hole in my collection. This drum sounds like nothing else I own; it's even very distinct in tone from my Joyful Noise seamless bronze. Special drum.
Way to sneak in. Good show!

No more pads? ?

Got the small version of the Moongel pad. Pays for itself in no time.

mxY74Fr.jpg

Trying out som John Riley sigs as well. I've had his combo stick almost since I started playing, but never tried these.

There's no getting away from needing a lighter stick for some things, so I keep trying out different ones. At the same time becoming more and more clear that for the most part I'm a one stick guy. That is of course the Colaiuta stick no longer in production. Being only one model of stick, I'm sure I'll figure out a way to eventually make my own, though.

There are some other things in my orchestral bag, but in all honestly the only ones that have seen much use over the years in addition to the Colaiuta sticks are the Pustjens SD1 and SD4 + the Tom Gaugers and occasionally your standard SD2 Boleros.

Obviously, when it comes to brushes, mallets and multirods things are a bit different, but I seem have settled don into a few usual suspects that see the most use for my typical situations.

Last edited:
I picked up this kit last Friday from a pawn shop on the cheap. It is a 20x14, 12x8, 14x14, and has a matching 14", 10-lug snare (not pictured). The snare pictured is my workhorse Yamaha Maple Custom 14x6. The kit appears to be an all-original, late 60s Whitehall stencil kit made by Pearl. I am planning on leaving these in a lockup where I do not want to leave any of my good kits or gear.

I stripped the hardware off, cleaned up the bearing edges, swapped out the swivel nuts, threw some Pearl ft feet on a set of Ludwig legs, and gave her a quick clean. The heads are what I had laying around the office, but I am sure with some G1 or Ambs it will sound better, though with the heads I slapped on it sounds surprisingly good. Unfortunately the bass drum mounted ride stand and mount are missing.

It also came with an 18" Meinl Ambico crash/ride with a really great bell, and 13" CB700 hihats. The hats are made in Italy and actually sound pretty good. I read that Tosco or possibly Ufip had something to do with that era. I compared them to my 13.25 K Hybrids, and while they are not on that level they can hold their own.

The kit and cymbals certainly won't replace any of my good gear, but it will be perfect for the lockup all while being in it for under three digits.

Attachments

• 20190917_101049-1024x498.jpg
    20190917_101049-1024x498.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 21
  • 20190917_101132-1024x498.jpg
    20190917_101132-1024x498.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Hey everyone - I'm a beginner drummer and just ordered a set of Tama Imperialstar from Sweetwater. Question: I live by myself in the country and don't have any neighbors. From a room setup standpoint, do you have any suggestions? I've got hardwood throughout and the room I was thinking of is about 8x10 so was thinking I should put a large rug down. But do you recommend I add any sound absorption material to the walls? Any and all feedback is appreciated - thanks!

Congratulations geldy7! Carpet can protect your floor and keep the drums from sliding. If your Tamas have spiked bass drum feet, you may need to experiment with what works as far as not scratching the floor versus your drums sliding around.

You might like the sound of the room without any curtains or whatever - see how it goes.

I bought my first actual “drum rug”. Not hugely exciting, but it goes well with my taste in drums.?

I took that rug on tour this year, and it held up GREAT! Of course I was pretty much the only one who could actually see it... :)

Bermuda

I took that rug on tour this year, and it held up GREAT! Of course I was pretty much the only one who could actually see it... :)

Bermuda

I’m glad to hear that! It actually is lighter weight than I expected. If it holds up to touring I doubt it’ll have any problems holding up in the man cave.?

I got my 6.5x13" Yamaha Brass Nouveau snare back last week. That's the drum I played in my high school band before I traded it for a few microphones to a guy who recently asked me to help him clear out his studio, and in return I got a few bucks and my old snare back. It even had the same heads on it! It's a fantastic drum.

69969764_10201593608507568_1400302661554667520_n.jpg

I also got tired of having to shoehorn the tripod of my DW 9000-series snare stand into my setup, so I traded it in for one of the new Ludwig Atlas Pro snare stands with the Pillar Clutch basket after trying out a few different stands. It goes as high as I need it go (and, unfortunately, no higher) but I really like the basket and would gladly buy another one or two or three, especially if they make one with a taller base for rack toms.

You're almost there. Now you just need one of these:
A13usaonutL._AC_CLa%7C2140%2C2000%7C61g43WkPWqL.png%7C0%2C0%2C2140%2C2000%2B0.0%2C0.0%2C2140.0%2C2000.0._UX522_.png

A good thing to drop a hint to someone for christmas or something.

Oh, I’ve got the Ludwig and Paiste collections, although not that particular shirt. I’ll probably need that now too!?

Back