What's your latest purchase?

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Got these for my 50th. I'd been looking for Tama Superstars in these sizes for a while with not much luck. That was until my lovely wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday... I opened CL and boom! Someone is selling them! Talk about a fluke.
1983 Super Mahogany, 13x9, 16x16 & 22x14. I was extra stoked about the 14" depth on the BD.
Beautiful kit. I don't often say this, but I'd trade my Supers for those ones given the chance. Great shape for their age, too.

Big Foot

Silver Member
Beautiful kit. I don't often say this, but I'd trade my Supers for those ones given the chance. Great shape for their age, too.
Thanks! The finish is pretty good. There's a bit of snare rash on the small tom and the BD hoops are dinged up. But, I'm more happy with the finish. One of my good friends is furniture finisher/refinished and he offered to fix the blemishes but I really don't mind them.

Mike_L

........A Black Beauty?
Please, contain your excitement. :)

6.5x14 Hammered. Just brought it home today. Dude. This drum sounds incredible. Wow. Money. Well. Spent.

Gave it a couple cranks, evened it out, and in less than a minute I had the snare drum sound I had always wanted.

Edit: Resized the pictures to unscrew the page width. Sorry bout that. Not as clear as photos, but whatever.

Last edited:

Pyromaniac777

Silver Member
Please, contain your excitement. :)

6.5x14 Hammered. Just brought it home today. Dude. This drum sounds incredible. Wow. Money. Well. Spent.

Gave it a couple cranks, evened it out, and in less than a minute I had the snare drum sound I had always wanted.
Wow, that drum look amazing! Your one lucky guy!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Since May:

22 Renaissance ambassador to be used as a bass drum reso head for my Guru's because the color should match it well.

Yamaha GigMaker POS set because there's not many inexpensive choices in sets that have a 20 x 16 bass drum. I had to do alot of work to get those drums sounding passable...removing all gaskets, lacquering the insides of the drums, suspension mounting the toms, new heads...but they're OK now. I still like my Sonor 20 x 12 bass drum better than the Yamaha 20 x 16. It's got better sounding bass, go figure.

Real Gauger RIMS suspension mounts for my Guru's because I swiped some 10 and 12 suspension mounts from 2 different kits so I could suspension mount my toms on my Yamaha Gigmaker kit, which really needed it. I'm having a really hard time finding Gibraltar tom suspension mounts, so I went with the RIMS, which RIMS claims are better than the copycats. I'll use the Gibraltar mounts currently on the Guru's to replace the other 2 that I swiped, and use the RIMS on the Gurus

A few months back I quietly took delivery of a 14 x 7 Guru steambent In-Tense ash snare. Never mentioned it here until now. I wanted a deeper Guru snare as my main snare. Delicious. My 14 x 8 is lighter than my 14 x 5.75, go figure. Love the sound of that drum.

Sonor Players kit for a kit to fit in a really tight place. Great sounding little kit that's a blast to play and looks great, love the dark sparkle finish.

A 16" PDP X7 legged floor tom. I wanted a 16" tom for my white onyx PDP CX maple gig kit, and it's just taking too long and is too expensive to find a 16" floor tom in my color. They're not real plentiful. I almost paid 300 for one but lost the auction. So I snagged a brand new 16" X7 lacquered tom for $89.00 shipped...made from poplar not maple, there's the rub. I'm lacquering the inside of it and wrapping the outside with a piece of wrap from Jammin Sams that he buys right from DW. FYI cost 93 for the wrap, tape and grommet for my 16" drum shipped. Not cheap, but it's the exact same quality wrap PDP uses, so it will be a spot on match.

Brian

Gold Member
I bought a 90's 5x14 Ludwig blackrolite a few weeks ago for $100 USD, nice condition and cleaned up superb. It sounds pretty good, can definitely get a sound similar to a supraphonic, but not quite as full-bodied. The drum falls out of tune a bit, after a week or so without playing or fine-tuning.

My main issue/disappointment is the strainer and snares, not so desirable. I may end up replacing and going with a custom config. ;D

Attachments

Brian

Gold Member
Yesterday I picked up a vintage (mid-late 60s?) 22" A Zildjian, and used but decent shape 13" Zildjian New Beats.

The ride sounds pretty good, I needed an alternative to my mostly world/ jazz/funk use 21" K custom dark complex, which is now placed on the left side. :)

STXBob

Gold Member
Just pulled the trigger on a bunch of stuff this morning:

14" Istanbul Agop Xist hats
14" x 6.5" WorldMax Black Hawg w/die-cast hoops
New skins for everything in the Island Kit
Gibraltar pedal riser for same

Up next: New snare stand. That'll wait until next payday. ;)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
A 20CFM 200Litre compressor, 6" & 3" DA sanders, & a good quality filter mask. I'm fed up with sanding really hard wood species by hand :(

RickP

Gold Member
Just received this 22" PaisteDark Energy Mk2 ride in the mail today. Great way to end the vacation. I have owned the 21" version and still own the 20" version and these are really great versatile ride cymbals with a great blend of stick and wash and killer bells.

I also received a half brick of the new Promark Bob Gatzen signature sticks. I was a huge fan of his Regal Tip signature sticks ( both maple and hickory).

Attachments