What's with The Who?

But in Pollock's case it was the technique itself, not the lack of technique. You might be right that people don't really go "wow that Keith Moon trailblazed the Moonie technique" but people who don't particularly care for his technique still admire and recognize his style. I'd say that's probably the best you can do as a drummer, have people listen to a song and say, "wait, is that Grohl drumming?" I've had more than a couple guitarists tell me to play like Keith Moon on a song, and I know exactly what that means. I'll bet Townshend wrote songs for his style. That's a pretty powerful testament to his presence and legacy in pop music.

Townsend also blamed his partial deafness on Moon, which is pretty ignomious.

Impossible to take it seriously, Lar. One Who/Moonie thread too many and I tipped over the edge. Now Henri and DMB are in on the act - it's all unravelling, Batman!

Never mind, it's all just elephant Talk. As a 21st century schizoid woman, no doubt confusion will be my epitaph and I might find myself in exiles, despite having made easy money.

Critics of The Who - get thy bearings! Yes, there was indiscipline and some wild indoor games with no warning, often involving ladies of the road, but those old dinosaurs were full of vroom vroom vroom!

If you don't know the Crimson catalogue ... http://www.whosdatedwho.com/tpx_78595/king-crimson/songs

This is one more red nightmare to add to those indoor games that I've heard create indiscipline.

Townsend also blamed his partial deafness on Moon, which is pretty ignomious.

Why would it be ignominious? It was Keith who put explosives in his bass drum and blew it up in Pete's ear on national television.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=715h7RyxYYk&feature=player_detailpage#t=258

Yeah, it is pretty funny that Townsend, was such a noble guy that he didn't accept the responsibility for his guitar stacks, and blamed it on the dead guy. We're talking about the cream of the crop here.
Not true. He also blames loud headphones when writing and recording as well the dynamite incident.

Last edited:
For me, the Who's catalog has stood the test of time. I can still enjoy listening to most of their records. As for Moon, I don't see his work as very complex but it was very dynamic. I see Moon as the first drummer in rock to attract the spotlight because of his playing, as opposed to Ringo who's fame was/is more a result of being one of the fab four. That's certainly not meant as dissing Ringo. It's more about Moon's style.

For me, the Who's catalog has stood the test of time. I can still enjoy listening to most of their records. As for Moon, I don't see his work as very complex but it was very dynamic. I see Moon as the first drummer in rock to attract the spotlight because of his playing, as opposed to Ringo who's fame was/is more a result of being one of the fab four. That's certainly not meant as dissing Ringo. It's more about Moon's style.

I disagree, Ringo was popular before the Beatles, George, Paul, John, were somewhat unknown, and were playing the warm up act before Ringo's band, furthermore Ringo had one of the more successful acts after the break up.

I can't explain it well but The Who are a sensation who had an amazing journey and they have no substitute.

But I digress ... anyway, anyhow ... music must change over time and sadly the song is over, but behind those blue eyes is more than a man with money but one of the most important voices of my generation and a success story, you better you bet!

On a more personal note, I wouldn't say any of them was a real good looking boy, though that could be a trick of the light. Or is it in my head?

LOL...great post Grea.So Roger"the lion"Daltry wasn't a heart throb?Lots of women would loved to be his squeeze box,and have his love reign oer' them,not to mention a quick one while he's away.:)

Steve B

Rory Storm had some local success ... I wouldn't say Ringo was popular

I will say he made the most important choice of his life by joining John Paul and George when they were looking to replace Pete

...and if you think anything Ringo did was more successful than Wings or any of George or Johns solo efforts you are sorely mistaken

+1.Ringo was known among local musicians and some in Hanburg,and some followers of the band,but popular?Not..

His musical career had pretty much slowed down by the mid 70's.I'm a huge Ringo fan,but lets keep it real.

Steve B

Rory Storm had some local success ... I wouldn't say Ringo was popular

I will say he made the most important choice of his life by joining John Paul and George when they were looking to replace Pete

...and if you think anything Ringo did was more successful than Wings or any of George or Johns solo efforts you are sorely mistaken

Ringo had a very good reputation as a very competent drummer in Liverpool before joining the Beatles.

It was THIS that meant he was recruited to replace Pete Best...

He wasn't picked out of a telephone directory at random.

Any suggestion that he was 'lucky' is way wide of the mark.....Ringo Starr made his own luck by being a) professional, b) reliable, and c) a pleasant guy

It adds absolutely nothing to this debate, but my personal opinion....miles better a drummer than Keith Moon in almost all regards.

I'm well aware of the history of the Beatles thanks

nothing I said has anything to do with what you replied

thanks for the attempted lesson though

Sorry for upsetting you.

I was just trying to chew the fat.

Re: What's with the who?

put on Live At Leeds....and if you don't hear one of the most amazing explosive rock bands in the history of recorded music ....then you and I have a completely different perspective on the evolution of rock & roll and what bands contributed to it

Absolutely!! Live at Leeds is the only album I ever wore out. Literally played it until the vinyl turned grey and the grooves disappeared. It wasn't the wild drumming or the basslines or even the power chords...I heard the sound of a real "band', stronger as a unit than any one individual.
That's a musical lesson that has served me well all my professional life.
For me? THAT'S what's with the Who. As stated earlier, listen to Quadraphenia top to bottom and reflect on the fact that every note was played by a member of the band, every lyric delivered, sans autotune....it may not be your cup of tea, but it sure ain't lightweight pop fluff.

Back