What's the deal with this?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
OK. After getting a bit of an inner heat from Joe Morris' thread about the dangers of playing an eKit and then jumping on an aKit (great story, Joe!), I began to ask this question:

If so many people jump to eKits because they don't want to bother anybody, yet they want to be drummers, doesn't that mean you want make noise?

In a light-hearted way I'm saying, if you're not prepared to deal with the sound issue, maybe drumming (or anything musical) isn't really for you. My parents, and now my neighbors know they live next to a drummer, and they don't complain. I have to listen to my 10-year-old neighbor squeek away on her clarinet and I don't cringe. There's a budding rock combo playing in a garage up my street that absolutely sucks, but they do it. All musical instruments make sound. For some, they make noise until you learn how to make it sound right (violins, horns). But that's the point of playing a musical instrument, right?

Can't those of you who have neighbors talk with your neighbors and see if you can't strike some kind of accord? This idea would really put a dent in eKit sales. Nobody talks to anybody anymore. My neighbors know anytime during the day I could be playing. When the sun goes down, I stop at a reasonable time. I try never to play before 9AM, too. I have pads to play on, but as we've been discussing, pads don't try to flat-out replace my acoustic drums as electronic kits promise the buyers to do.

I think if you're brave enough to say, I want to learn how to play drums, then you're brave enough to figure out how to make that happen without hiding in a burrow, unknown to us, until you think you're ready. Nobody is ready! Get out there and play. I won't pay money to have some introverted geek with no social skills fronting a wedding band. I'll pay for an entertainer, though. And how do you learn that if you're not brave enough to declare to the world you're learning how to do something alot of other people won't tackle?

My apologies to all the introverted-geeks-with-no-social-skills who may be lurking here, but I think you guys get my point, right? To be a drummer, especially, means you're loud, it means you're actually the leader of the band, and it means you're the one holding it all together - regardless of what the singing guitar player thinks. Those are the kind of players we pay to see. Which one are you?

uniin

Gold Member
i'm a very loud drummer, the only reason why i'd get an e-kit is because i want to practice past 7pm or before 9am, like you stated in unreasonable times.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
In a light-hearted way I'm saying, if you're not prepared to deal with the sound issue, maybe drumming (or anything musical) isn't really for you.
Mrs Pocket and a sleeping little Pocket feel exactly the same way. They'd both argue "drums aren't for them."

Get the point? :)

Joe Morris

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
First of all Bo let me say if thats you in the picture "what are you doing this weekend"

Second of all I'm glad you liked my story. I had no idea that thread would end up quite the topic.

Third of all when I was very young at the age of 4 I started playing drums and taking lessons. We didn't have ekits in 1964. I'm giving away my age here. lol So yea, I played in my grandparents laundry room on the 2nd floor on my first acoustic kit. I remember my grandfather who's tv room was underneath the laundry room sitting 2 feet from the tv so he could hear it. No one ever complained especially him. When my mom and I moved into an apartment I set up a time schedule with my neighbors so I could practice. When my mother and I finally got our own house the neighbors complained and sent the police a few times. That didn't stop me either, I just told them I was going to play regardless. I didn't care if I was bothering anyone to be honest. I needed to practice and that was the end of it.

When I moved to Philly on my own and lived in an apartment I rented a practice space so I could shed. The moral of the story here is if you wanna practice on your akit you can make it happen you just have to want it bad enough

joe

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Mrs Pocket and a sleeping little Pocket feel exactly the same way. They'd both argue "drums aren't for them."

Get the point? :)
I get it. Before this thread starts down the dark path of me appearing to have it made with the people around me, I'll apologize for my tone. I know it's hard on people to make noise around others who don't want to hear anything to disturb them. However, I think those people are also being unreasonable. I'm sure we've all been in a position of wanting something. So, you negotiate, you be diplomatic, you do anything so you can get to what you want. My wife doesn't like the noise, but she also knows it's important to me to do it, so we compromise. If you think it's impossible to compromise with someone, then we're no longer talking about just getting an opportunity to play drums on a regular basis, eh?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
First of all Bo let me say if thats you in the picture "what are you doing this weekend"

Second of all I'm glad you liked my story. I had no idea that thread would end up quite the topic.

Third of all when I was very young at the age of 4 I started playing drums and taking lessons. We didn't have ekits in 1964. I'm giving away my age here. lol So yea, I played in my grandparents laundry room on the 2nd floor on my first acoustic kit. I remember my grandfather who's tv room was underneath the laundry room sitting 2 feet from the tv so he could hear it. No one ever complained especially him. When my mom and I moved into an apartment I set up a time schedule with my neighbors so I could practice. When my mother and I finally got our own house the neighbors complained and sent the police a few times. That didn't stop me either, I just told them I was going to play regardless. I didn't care if I was bothering anyone to be honest. I needed to practice and that was the end of it.

When I moved to Philly on my own and lived in an apartment I rented a practice space so I could shed. The moral of the story here is if you wanna practice on your akit you can make it happen you just have to want it bad enough

joe
Sorry Joe, that's not me. But I do know her. And it was a great story, it's happened to me too! I wholeheartedly agree with you - if you want it bad enough, you'll make it happen. My life has been the same way. Maybe better because people were encouraging to me personally. It's when I had bad guitar players over that people called the cops ;)

Joe Morris

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hook a brother up if you know her. LOL.

I stopped my story at my apartment in Philly. Listen man, I was touring with a major act, taking care of my family making a killer living and my wife would still call it noise!!

I just used to laugh and keep playing. Now days I don't even have a kit set up at home and I have a 20x20 sound proof room in my house. I practice at the studio. I realize I am a very very lucky man and I still stand by what I said. If you want it bad enough you can work it out.

You let guitar players in your house!!! Whow, I think the lowest I have ever gone is I let a bass player in one time.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
You let guitar players in your house!!! Whow, I think the lowest I have ever gone is I let a bass player in one time.
I know. I learned my lesson that day. No more ;)

And to help you out, book your flights on Alaska Air. You just might meet.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
However, I think those people are also being unreasonable. I'm sure we've all been in a position of wanting something. So, you negotiate, you be diplomatic, you do anything so you can get to what you want. My wife doesn't like the noise, but she also knows it's important to me to do it, so we compromise. If you think it's impossible to compromise with someone, then we're no longer talking about just getting an opportunity to play drums on a regular basis, eh?
"Unreasonable".....well, I'll tell her....but I already know what she's gonna say. Drums banging away in the family home on and off from 5.30 ish til anytime around 7......and then some on weekends is "reasonable" enough. Outside of that, I have the practice pads....oneday it'll be an ekit.....so, I feel it IS possible to compromise. I just don't think "compromising" necessarily equates to me blowing ear drums out whenever it suits me.

I dunno why this bothers you mate. You're an old hand who's been round the block a few times and are good at what you do. You'd know more than anyone that there's is more than one way to skin a cat. It shouldn't matter how people choose to practice. What's important is that they're doing something....anything. It all works towards improving. I couldn't give a rats arse if all people used to practice on were phone books.......beats doing nothing at all. More power to 'em.....however they decide to improve themselves. ;-)

Last edited:

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
My apologies to all the introverted-geeks-with-no-social-skills who may be lurking here
Somewhat bruised by your gratuitous foisting of reality on me but apology accepted :)

I made lots of noise in my youth - played for hours every day. One time a jam at my place was interrupted by my Dad saying that "the woman next door is screaming" lol. I couldn't see her over the high back fence but I heard hysterical wailing. Couldn't make out a word she was saying but the meaning was clear. One time Dad had to bribe another neighbour with beer to keep him sweet. Another time a council man broke up a band practice we were having in a scout hall during the first song - he had two Dobermans with him too lol

Now I'm living in close quarters with very thin walls. One time I tried playing the kit on a Sunday afternoon - very very quietly. That lasted about 60 seconds before the woman upstairs complained. So I tap on my little pads.

dmacc

Platinum Member
Looking back as an adult, I was super fortunate that my family let me bang away as much as I wanted from 8:30 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. and I was a practice-aholic. I kid you not, the least I shedded everyday was 3 hours per day and the most 8 or 9 hours.

Now being a homeowner and a neighbor, I can only imagine how many lives I made miserable in my hood. Cops came and went and I always listened.

The best was when neighbors would come over and watch me play then politely request me from playing on a certain upcoming day that was important to them for a party at their home. I always had the greatest amount of respect for them and 100% of the time I did it.

That being said, I now have my music room set up in a part of the basement that is surrounded by three walls of concrete block and no windows. The other wall is drywall.

I also play fairly lightly and at most 2-3 hours on any given day about 4 days per week. When the band (jazz trio) comes over we are still fairly quiet and my wife tells me it can barely be heard outside within 20 feet from the house. I do always make sure at any time, the windows and doors are closed.

I do not own an eKit but do see their place. For me, for quiet time, I work on playing brushes. Lord knows I have such a long way to go and so many more skills to develop with them and find that kind of time actually very valuable.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Playing an eKit is like hitting plastic golf balls in the back yard. You can't go to the driving range or play golf that day so you do the next best, or only plausible thing. Fore.

If the police keep getting called out to your place because you want to "rock on the drums" they can easily stop you by confinscating your ENTIRE drumset. I would love to actually see someone tell the police that they are going to keep playing regardless who they bother, gooood luck with that!

I am a drummer but i am also sensible enough to realize that most people do not want to hear someone "rockin on the drums" or any other instrument for that matter regardless what time of day it is. I have pratice pads and a pratice remo setup. It has worked fine for me and I have never bothered anybody.

I sure would love to see someone move into my neighborhood thinking they are going to disturb the peace at their own will lol. All of their music equipment would end up in an auction down at the local police department and I would be on the front row bidding :)

Nobody wants to hear anyone practicing, thats like fingernails on a chalk board.

Redfern

Ummm.. I have a roland TD9KX which was hooked up in the garage, i put cardboard boxes up against the door and hung blankets around the walls and i still had the neighbours knocking on the door because they could hear me tapping on the rubber of the cymbals, ive had to move my kit to my lead guitarists studio due to the complaining.

Sometimes you just get snobby arsehole neighbours, imagine if i had an acoustice kit!

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Interesting, I never considered the introversion angle on these things, but I think you're right- it's an element. There's a whole lot of shrinking from the arena going on these days- the drum cover thing is another example of that.

Another thing- and I know I'm being a cranky bastard here: there is no such thing as an "a-kit"- those are what we call drums.