What's happened to cheap WMP kits?

Morrisman

Platinum Member
It seems that no-one is making small affordable kits in White or Vintage Marine Pearl any more. Two or three years ago there was the Gretsch Club Jazz or Classic, the Tama Silverstar Jazz, even the Premier Heritage Bop and Classic.

Now they've all gone walnut, or fades, or sparkles. For me, the whole point of one of these club kits was that they looked old school, great for 50's bands, mainstream jazz, swing, etc. I can't see the point in buying a vintage looking kit if it doesn't come in vintage finishes.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Mapex Saturn V Tour (a pro level kit) with 20x14 kick, 12x8 rack, and 14x14 floor in WMP are on sale now from various on-line retailers for $899 and free shipping.

It seems that no-one is making small affordable kits in White or Vintage Marine Pearl any more. Two or three years ago there was the Gretsch Club Jazz or Classic, the Tama Silverstar Jazz, even the Premier Heritage Bop and Classic.

Now they've all gone walnut, or fades, or sparkles. For me, the whole point of one of these club kits was that they looked old school, great for 50's bands, mainstream jazz, swing, etc. I can't see the point in buying a vintage looking kit if it doesn't come in vintage finishes.

Attachments

Woolwich

Silver Member

I’d never lusted after a WMP kit especially, but a couple of years back I bought a Catalina Club in that finish. I’d wanted the White Chocolate finish but a WMP one came up at a sale price so I bought it. And I found that there was just something about it that was for the want of a better word, cool. It looked great, vintagey but not old fashioned and the finish suited the smaller sizes. The last time I looked the Catalina Club had dropped both the White Chocolate and WMP finishes and was available in wood stains only. Call me shallow but if I was in the market for a kit in that configuration and price range now I’d not give them a second glance :-(

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
It is a bit weird.

The Gretch Satin White Chocolate looks purdy too, though.

My main gripe with budget kits like the Catalinas, is that there's no option to buy them without the snare.

J-Boogie

Gold Member
Mapex Saturn V Tour (a pro level kit) with 20x14 kick, 12x8 rack, and 14x14 floor in WMP are on sale now from various on-line retailers for $899 and free shipping.
Ah, so I can fake it til I make it with just a 12" and 14", good to know, cuz thats all I gots.

I like the art on the wall by the way, especially the large one right behind the kit.