What would you offer for this kit? Links inside

Austen

Hello, guys and girls!
This kit is one a local site. The ad reads "Powertone drum kit. Not sure how much they are worth. Open to offers."
I emailed the woman and she knows NOTHING about it. Neither do I. haha. All I know is that the hardware is a lot better than my current stuff (I bought a $140 used cheap kit off the same site because I needed something to practice on. Don't beak haha), and the hats and crashes look like they're in alright condition (the logos, other than saying "Sabian" aren't readable. Anyone know what they are from the photos?) so for those reasons alone I think I should go for it. But how much should I offer? It's missing resonant heads and it looks pretty beat up, but I'm not too terrible at restoration... so... thoughts?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjQwWDY0MA==/$(KGrHqNHJDcE-o13oU)NBPws50cBWQ~~48_20.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjQwWDY0MA==/$(KGrHqFHJEYE-kdYZYRWBPws52p2rg~~48_20.JPG

I read that Powertone is by Rogers and that they sound pretty awesome. But I really don't know. Help a newbie drummer out...?

-Austen

AJ3000

Silver Member
Personally I wouldn't be offering anything. You'll spend more on parts than the kit is worth. Keep your eyes open for something a bit better. If you're hell bent on buying it, I'd be wanting to pay under about £60 ($100)

Austen

Personally I wouldn't be offering anything. You'll spend more on parts than the kit is worth. Keep your eyes open for something a bit better. If you're hell bent on buying it, I'd be wanting to pay under about £60 ($100)
But the hardware is still decent. I'd be buying for that purpose. And I'd rather not spend more than about $100, too

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I pay someone $20 to haul that trash to the dump and get it out of my house.

It's not worth buying. Period.

Austen

Not a Rogers kit. Or at least, not a real Rogers kit. Here's a Rogers kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rogers-WMP-Drum-Set-No-Reserve-/170846686345?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c7418c89#ht_500wt_1202 Your links give pictures, but not the auction itself. If you need hardware, buy hardware. If you need cymbals, buy cymbals. I'd pass on the deal.​
I figured as much. And this isn't an auction, I'm not sure why the links are listed as ebay links because it's from Kijiji.ca (Canadian Craigslist, basically). And I would buy hardware and cymbals if I had the dough haha

harryconway

Platinum Member
And I would buy hardware and cymbals if I had the dough.
Well, if you have dough for a drum set .... wouldn't that mean you have dough for hardware and cymbals. You don't have to buy everything all at once. Shop used. There are deals out there.​

Austen

Well, if you have dough for a drum set .... wouldn't that mean you have dough for hardware and cymbals. You don't have to buy everything all at once. Shop used. There are deals out there.​
Did you miss the part where I said I spent $140 on a kit because I need something to practice on? Haha

harryconway

Platinum Member
Did you miss the part ......
No, I got that all right! You have a kit, already. So why buy another kit? If you need cymbals and hardware, then buy them. Why waste your money on another cheap drum kit, that you don't need?​

Austen

No, I got that all right! You have a kit, already. So why buy another kit? If you need cymbals and hardware, then buy them. Why waste your money on another cheap drum kit, that you don't need?​
Because if I can get this kit (with cymbals and hardware) for about $100, I'm paying less than I would for hardware and cymbals. Even used. And then I have some extra shells kicking around if I ever need them

harryconway

Platinum Member
Then why start a thread asking people what to do? If that's what you want to do ..... do it. I'm one of three people who have all said, in one form or another, that "this kit isn't worth buying". But, as AJ said, if you're "hell bent" on buying it, then get it for as cheap as you can.​

Austen

Then why start a thread asking people what to do? If that's what you want to do ..... do it. I'm one of three people who have all said, in one form or another, that "this kit isn't worth buying". But, as AJ said, if you're "hell bent" on buying it, then get it for as cheap as you can.​
My question was mainly asking how much do you guys think the hardware/cymbals are worth. Not really the kit itself. The kit is nearly useless to me :p If someone offered you a ferrari for $500, but you needed to take a Geo metro with it, what would you say?
In that analogy, the hardware/cymbals are the Ferrari, the geo is the kit. I know it's a bit of an exaggeration, but still. Haha

AJ3000

Silver Member
My question was mainly asking how much do you guys think the hardware/cymbals are worth. Not really the kit itself. The kit is nearly useless to me :p If someone offered you a ferrari for $500, but you needed to take a Geo metro with it, what would you say?
In that analogy, the hardware/cymbals are the Ferrari, the geo is the kit. I know it's a bit of an exaggeration, but still. Haha
Only the hardware and cymbals ain't a Ferrari. If it was a full set of HHXs and DW hardware then yes, I'd be saying tear their arm off, but it just isn't. They look like budget Sabian cymbals (at best maybe a B8, but more likely a solar or SBR or similar) and the hardware is just the cheap crap that comes with a starter kit. To my eyes it's buying a Geo and having to take another Geo with it.....

Austen

Only the hardware and cymbals ain't a Ferrari. If it was a full set of HHXs and DW hardware then yes, I'd be saying tear their arm off, but it just isn't. They look like budget Sabian cymbals (at best maybe a B8, but more likely a solar or SBR or similar) and the hardware is just the cheap crap that comes with a starter kit. To my eyes it's buying a Geo and having to take another Geo with it.....
But if that's a Geo, my current kit is a soap box racer made by a two year old ;)
See?
<object width="400" height="224" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/446637265348865" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/446637265348865" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="224"></embed></object>

...hope that link works
*edit* that link did not work

AJ3000

Silver Member
Ok just did a really quick search on eBay USA, and instantly found a hardware pack, all double braced and looking good for $75. Those cymbals are gonna sound like bin lids on the kit you showed. I think it's time to quote my mantra again.....

BUY IT ONCE AND BUY IT RIGHT!!!!

:)

Austen

Ok just did a really quick search on eBay USA, and instantly found a hardware pack, all double braced and looking good for $75. Those cymbals are gonna sound like bin lids on the kit you showed. I think it's time to quote my mantra again.....

BUY IT ONCE AND BUY IT RIGHT!!!!

:)
I don't have a credit card or PayPal, and shipping to Canada is probably going to be as much as the hardware haha. If I had money, I'd walk straight into my local L&M (Long & McQuade-- basically Canada's guitarcenter) and pick up a pearl hardware kit. But I don't. Haha
And here, this is a picture of the crash that came with my kit three months ago... I think you can agree that those Sabians would be an amazing improvement:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/550878_446616868684238_1308958506_n.jpg

AJ3000

Silver Member
I don't have a credit card or PayPal, and shipping to Canada is probably going to be as much as the hardware haha. If I had money, I'd walk straight into my local L&M (Long & McQuade-- basically Canada's guitarcenter) and pick up a pearl hardware kit. But I don't. Haha
And here, this is a picture of the crash that came with my kit three months ago... I think you can agree that those Sabians would be an amazing improvement:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/550878_446616868684238_1308958506_n.jpg
Ok I give up. My point with the hardware was that you can get it for next to nothing if you look around. Pretty much everyone has said that kit and associated paraphernalia is junk. If you don't want to listen to the people who know then that's up to you. I wish you every success.

bigiainw

Gold Member
You can do much better than this pile of crap for little more. If you want to waste your money, fine, but the hardware is kiddie kit stuff and the cymbals seem to be the equivalent of mystery meat in a cheap sandwich....

wildbill

Platinum Member
I'd like to see the rest of that kit you got for 140 - any pics?

About your question - you'd be getting 2 straight cymbal stands and cymbals, hi-hat stand and hats, snare stand, and probably a kick pedal, along with the drums, right?

How much of that did you get with your last set, and would you have doubles of 'not so good' stuff? Would you be able to get rid of either set of drums? How much is that hardware, and those cymbals worth to you?

I'd have to go along with the others, and say pass on this one, and keep looking.

If you were looking for a kit to convert to electronic, or for some other type of project, I'd say that one would work just fine. As an acoustic set to play the way it is - not so much.

Austen

I'd like to see the rest of that kit you got for 140 - any pics?

About your question - you'd be getting 2 straight cymbal stands and cymbals, hi-hat stand and hats, snare stand, and probably a kick pedal, along with the drums, right?

How much of that did you get with your last set, and would you have doubles of 'not so good' stuff? Would you be able to get rid of either set of drums? How much is that hardware, and those cymbals worth to you?

I'd have to go along with the others, and say pass on this one, and keep looking.

If you were looking for a kit to convert to electronic, or for some other type of project, I'd say that one would work just fine. As an acoustic set to play the way it is - not so much.
This hardware would be a lot better than my current stuff. Sad but true. And yeah, everything in those photos comes with the kit. Whichever kit sounds better would be kept as acoustic, the other would be muted for playing when other people are in my house.

My last kit came with everything pictured here. Sad. But true.
http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii491/tazthewonderdog/P1010246.jpg
And yes. I mounted a saw blade on top of my hats because it has the clearest, sharpest bell tone I have ever heard haha.

Now I hope you guys will be that this kit's hardware would be a step up.