What was Sting thinking with this..???

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
Another proof that Sting should have stopped after Ten Summoner's Tales..

Besides the fact that he puts everyone allready more than 25 years to sleep with Ikea elevator music, he now comes up with this..

Really, i admire and respect the man a lot for the work he made during those first 15 years, but someone should have stopped him now..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6mMoDUlV_U

Btw. to listen the other 'new' versions is not recommended in this case..lol..

brentcn

Platinum Member
The death of terrestrial radio, and with it, the sizable and steady stream of royalties, has driven some to make decisions they would not have otherwise made. Re-mixes, re-releases, etc. are a good way to get additional streams. Simply because they're new, they'll get more streams, and generate more revenue for the artist.

And -- let's be honest -- if someone is still, at this point, really into Sting, actively streaming his content via Spotify, Pandora, etc., then these remixes stand a good chance of being well-received.

That said... it's pretty amazing how a good song can weather the worst of productions. I mean, this version is objectively awful, but I can still tell that the song is good.

Branford Marsalis is checking his mail, hoping for a check.

brentcn

Platinum Member
I doubt Sting is hurting for cash. He owns a winery, and produces wines with names like Roxanne, Sister Moon, and Message in a Bottle. He says a good wine is like a good song. Perhaps too much message in his bottle has something to do with this disaster.

https://www.sting.wine/en/?v=6c1674d14bf5
Hurting? Definitely not. But that fortune was built on radio royalties, which have all but disappeared. It costs money to staff and maintain a castle, plus other mansions.

All of this is to boost visibility right before his residency gig in Las Vegas. More streams, and other products, TV appearances, etc. -> better attendance at your gigs.

brentcn

Platinum Member
Look at all the old rockers buying wine facilities. Maynard loves him some grape ferment too.
If only Maynard would take a cue from Sting, and name bottles after Tool songs:

P-raisin Sex
Fermentsix And Two

And a non-alcoholic sparkling grape juice, simply called:

Sober

Back in 2003, Sting was making $2000 per day in royalties...from "Every Breath You Take." It doesn't seem hard to imagine he made at least that much again on the rest of his catalog. The idea of making that much per year in passive income for decades and eventually need to actually worry about cash flow just boggles the mind.

brentcn

Platinum Member
Back in 2003, Sting was making $2000 per day in royalties...from "Every Breath You Take." It doesn't seem hard to imagine he made at least that much again on the rest of his catalog. The idea of making that much per year in passive income for decades and eventually need to actually worry about cash flow just boggles the mind.
Radio royalties are between 0.01 and 0.03 cents per play; Spotify pays 0.00437. Songwriters are not making the money they used to.

But, it’s probably not about cash flow, per se. More likely it’s to drive business to the Vegas residency gig.

brentcn

Platinum Member
The Police were awesome. Sting's first solo album was awesome.

It's all been downhill since then for him.
Pretty much everyone agrees that the hits from the Police are time-tested classics. But Ten Summoner's Tales, and Mercury Falling, are considered by many to be the creative zenith, and rightly so. The songs haven't aged as well as Roxanne or Wrapped Around Your Finger, but, musically speaking, they're very sophisticated and adventurous. Many of the best songs from that era are in odd time signatures (Seven Days, St. Augustine, Straight To My Heart), and even a song that should have been f*ing terrible, worked so well that Johnny Cash covered it years later: the country-folk-song-in-9/4, I Hung My Head. Sting's creative reach remained within its grasp.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Pretty much everyone agrees that the hits from the Police are time-tested classics. But Ten Summoner's Tales, and Mercury Falling, are considered by many to be the creative zenith, and rightly so. The songs haven't aged as well as Roxanne or Wrapped Around Your Finger, but, musically speaking, they're very sophisticated and adventurous. Many of the best songs from that era are in odd time signatures (Seven Days, St. Augustine, Straight To My Heart), and even a song that should have been f*ing terrible, worked so well that Johnny Cash covered it years later: the country-folk-song-in-9/4, I Hung My Head. Sting's creative reach remained within its grasp.
I'm not "many". lol

I saw him with the Dream of the Blue Turtles line up, and it was awesome.

I then saw him on the ..Nothing Like the Sun tour, and I was bored. One of the least inspiring concerts I've been too.

bud7h4

Silver Member
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that the remix is bad (yes it's is) or that the song itself is bad. Because the original, still not a great song, sounds 1K times better than that awful disco version.

Old Dog new Cans

I love that song. And honestly, that version isn't wretched in my ears. But I TOTALLY agree that everything he's done basically since, NOT GOOD.

I saw Sting live in 1987! One of my favorite live shows ever. He came back and did an acoustic encore of The Police tunes. Lotsa fun.

It cannot be easy to come up with original music year after year.

Please remember, I was a club DJ for over 20 years. Hearing a remix was nice! Not having to hear the same version over and over and over.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
That's the thing about being a recording artist. Artists absorb many negative judgments based on their most recent work, if it wasn't as well liked as prior work.

It's a shame, and I understand the sentiment, I'm not immune to it.

But it's a bit brutal. It is a double edge sword. Media darlings that fall from popular grace because of the negatively perceived perception of their latest songs....it's a bit brutal.

Like "Oh this record is not as good as the first 3 records, they really suck now"

The degree of "success" equals the degree of "failure".

The pendulum will swing the other way eventually, it is a mathematical certainty.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..honestly, that version isn't wretched in my ears..

..Not having to hear the same version over and over and over..

I just completely can not understand what Sting tried to achieve with this album..

Re-recording, or 'modernize', a bunch of his biggest hits, with just putting some sort of lame beat under a few of them, really, to me makes no sense at all..

And i also wonder what Colaiuta thinks when he hears this..lol..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsihbupjWA4

Old Dog new Cans

I just completely can not understand what Sting tried to achieve with this album..

Re-recording, or 'modernize', a bunch of his biggest hits, with just putting some sort of lame beat under a few of them, really, to me makes no sense at all..

And i also wonder what Colaiuta thinks when he hears this..lol..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsihbupjWA4
I understand what you're saying. I have no clue. I don't like much by Sting, just "If you love somebody" really. My 2cents, he needs the $ and he's trying to reach a younger crowd? Who knows.

Once again though, the 2nd song you listed there, still doesn't sound bad. But, unnecessary really.

I always wonder about bands that put out a G.Hits every 2 to 3 years. I think M.Crue and Def Leppard have put out more G.Hits albums than originals.

Macarina

Silver Member
I understand what you're saying. I have no clue. I don't like much by Sting, just "If you love somebody" really. My 2cents, he needs the $ and he's trying to reach a younger crowd? Who knows.

Once again though, the 2nd song you listed there, still doesn't sound bad. But, unnecessary really.

I always wonder about bands that put out a G.Hits every 2 to 3 years. I think M.Crue and Def Leppard have put out more G.Hits albums than originals.
I’m pretty sure it’s not the band putting out repetitive material. It’s the studio. But the band maybe contracted to put out a certain number of albums?