What to look for in a session player?

peety777

Been thinking about this for a while. Obvious theres the mains things like being able to play many genres and good timing etc..i'm thinking on the consistency thing, like consistent hi hat beats erc. Hope this makes sense!

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Reliability, punctuality, easy-going but focussed, sight-reading, musical ability and technical ability on the drums.

Reliability and punctuality are often overlooked but will get you a lot more gigs than those that are not so reliable. I was talking recently to a former professional player and he remarked that the reason he got a lot of work wasn't all down to his playing (although that was very decent) but it was also to do with the fact that he was reliable and easy to work with. There may have been 'better' players out there but they were not always reliable.

Sight reading is also absolutely vital. To a high level.

To be honest, there is very little session work around these days. You have to be an absolutely monster player with all of the right attributes to make a good living.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
To be honest, there is very little session work around these days. You have to be an absolutely monster player with all of the right attributes to make a good living.
This.

There's a certain, elusive "mojo" you need as a player. If you can slip into any musical situation, make it work, AND make it sound good, you're golden. After that, it's what you need to be a good employee anywhere else--punctuality, good attitude, etc.

But, yeah, gone are the days of making a living as a session player. I only get about 6 calls a year or so. Mostly, people have a drummer or a decent drum track program they already work with.

con struct

Platinum Member
The reliability factor bothers me. It implies that some session players are not reliable.

You just can't be late for a recording session, it's impossible. You cannot be unreliable and a session player, unless maybe you're Steve Gadd. I can't imagine being late for a session, much less missing it altogether, I just can't. The person who would do such a thing deserves to be moved down to the C list at the very least.

A

Anthony Amodeo

their ability to be a chameleon

their ability to effortlessly play with a click without sounding like they are chasing a chicken around a farm while still allowing the time to be elastic

their ability to be either transparent or opaque ...both in an appropriate manner

their ability to read and speak the language that producers, engineers, and other musicians will use while working with them

their ability to make other players sound good

their willingness and ability to take direction and be creative on the fly

Otto

Platinum Member
The way I see it, there is a metric ton of drummers out there that can sucessfully pull off any specific studio need...intangible charactaristics and all....

its really luck..which many equate to preperation meeting chance.

Then, if your flavor gets a little favor, you might make a living at it.

Best to look at something more consistant for paying the bills and moving into being a primarily "studio player" if that path opens up...but always keep yourself ready, available and canvasing - something hard to do in the face of years of faded hope trickling away in the cracks of financial need.