What style is most difficult for you?

R

Random Name 123

Being realistic relative to where you are (so a beginner doesn't have to say Afro-Carribean polyrhythms confuse him).

I find even basic jazz really hard to equate, despite taking a bit of an interest and being interested in the subtleties of drumming. Don't know why. Perhaps because I'm pretty good at non-lineal funk and it's too easy to revert back when I'm struggling.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Latin. Never listened to it, never played it. But when I do hear it....they do some really great stuff. Jazz too. I can fake jazz for a song or so, but I really don't understand much other than listening to the others and playing off of them.
Funk I'm slowly easing into, it's within my grasp.

Metal is over my head/not my generation.... so not relevant, but can't play it either.

dairyairman

Platinum Member
i've been working on latin drumming a lot lately and i'd have to say it's the most difficult type of drumming i've attempted. i'm talking about latin drumming on a drum set. the thing is, when you play latin percussion parts on a drum set you're essentially playing a different musician's part with each limb. the level of independence you need is pretty high. it's also tough because it's so different from the music i grew up with and have played all these years, like rock, blues, and jazz. it's hard to play something that "sounds latin" if it's not in your blood. if i grew up in spanish harlem maybe it'd be different, but as it is i find it tough.

metal's not easy either. i can play metal music that doesn't involve a lot of fast footwork, but when it comes to something like lamb of god, or black dahlia murder, i'll never be able to play that stuff.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I play rock, pop, blues, soul, RnB and limited/simple examples of other styles. All those styles are hard for me authentic Latin, Cuban, jazz, fusion and nu-prog/metal are another world.

I played along with the record of King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man many times in my youth and never ever ever got the insane unison riffing down cleanly - but it was fun trying :)

Last edited:
Jazz and latin music for me. They are so complex and free at a time, but they're my favorite!
I think all styles have their own degree of difficulty and must be taken and learned seriously. We should also know that it's not because a style in particular is much difficult that it is the best; simplicity also has qualities.
The best tool, I guess, is to have a good listening and be mind-opened to all varieties of music.

R

Random Name 123

How about reggae? Never seems to be mentioned much. In general it's a simple style but like all genres you can take it to new levels of difficulty. That's why I was careful not to entitle the thread 'most difficult style.' I mean, funk is relatively easy at a basic level, but when you start on lineal drumming it can get very difficult. Even non-linear, double stroke or paradiddle grooves at a fast pace might be as challenging for some as polyrhythmic latin.

mcbike

Silver Member
certian latin styles like songo's and uptempo bossa novas. I can samba like crazy, but some latin styles are hard for me.

I guess I'm pretty lucky becuase I have been in alot of different groups and played alot of different styles of music. I've been in ska/reggae bands, jazz big band, jazz combos, modern rock, alt-country, afro-cuban ensembles, hip hop, hardcore punk, indie rock, etc. the only thing I haven't really done is straight up POP and I kind of would like to do something like that, but only if it was on a big production level with lots of keyboards/backup singers/a percussionist/etc. to keep it fun.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
+1 on the reggae thing.

I do believe that if I immersed myself into Latin, Reggae, or Jazz, and listened to a steady diet of it for years and years (like I did and still do w/ Blues) it would come much easier.

For instance how many times have you nailed a song the first time you attempted it, but have heard it about 1000 times prior?

Listening and dissecting is absolutely a part of practicing. Being immersed in a style by virtue of where you live is highly influencing.

If I grew up in Cuba, I really believe I'd be able to hang with those guys too.

But I didn't, I grew up in suburbia, and was influenced by rock and roll primarily.

Big Foot

Silver Member
For me it's Latin grooves for sure. I play a lot of jazz and when someone wants to play a Latin swing I can fake it well enough so no one really can tell what I'm doing. It's no problem w/ my right hand and feet, but counting the clave messes me up - just don't ask me to count!

I also struggle with the pulse of Reggae with the drop on the 3 - I can keep the groove going but I lose it counting.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Latin/Afro cuban.

I tried, but could never get into the music enough to really internalize the style enough.
I learned a couple of other latin beats in school, just enough to pass, but I can't say I remember how to do it other than a basic bossa nova and maybe fake a samba. But beyond that, I'm lost.

arthurk1

Speed Metal, even though I can play it. After playing variety band stuff with everything from jazz to swing, stuff like derek Roddy plays is so incredibly fast that the amount of practice to master it is daunting.

yesdog

Silver Member
Jazz, I have never had the opprutinity to play it until now.
I joined the local college jazz band ( the B team ). I think it will be a great experiance
I start after the first of the year. I can't wait to learn new stuff, I think it will help with reading timing and pissing people off. I was never in band in high school,which was one of my biggest regrets in life. wish me luck. Doggie.

theindian

I think someone hit on a good point earlier about latin/afro-cuban being hard because we didn't grow up with it. For the people who grew listening to it and playing along, the style is probably second nature to them. Its probably as natural as 2 and 4 are to people in the US.
I know rock drumming came natural to me, and it had something to with hearing it for all those years before I ever decided to drum.

Any style is attainable with practice though. Each different one requires a different skill set but all it takes is working on it.....maybe for a long time. I started out with rock, mainly old school 70's classics, got pretty good at that. Then I moved on to metal, mostly thrash and death. My teenage years, what can I say. Now I am moving in a completely different direction and have been working towards fusion, with a little bit o latin & jazz for good measure. Everything is hard at first but if you keep working, with time it will happen.

dairyairman

Platinum Member
Speed Metal, even though I can play it. After playing variety band stuff with everything from jazz to swing, stuff like derek Roddy plays is so incredibly fast that the amount of practice to master it is daunting.
the thing that kills me about derrick roddy is that not only is he one of the best speed/thrash metal drummers around but he also has no trouble with latin playing, and he's a really good blues drummer too.

Last edited:

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I think someone hit on a good point earlier about latin/afro-cuban being hard because we didn't grow up with it. For the people who grew listening to it and playing along, the style is probably second nature to them. Its probably as natural as 2 and 4 are to people in the US..
Agreed.

When I struggled with latin, I sought out advice from a few different people.
Someone gave me a list of 20 albums to go buy, and said listen to them and get into the music. But being young and broke at the time (and this was pre-internet, so no going to myspace or youtube), I had no way to buy these albums, nor the time/motivation to listen to them all day long.

So, eventually I moved on to work on things that seemed more attainable.

B

BigSteve

Of the styles I want to play, right now it's Jazz. I'm working on it but I just don't get it yet.

Latin, I can play some but need to be getter at it/understand it, same with Afro/Cuban styles....so much to work on....so little time.