What should I do?

TastyJuice

Hi there. I’m having a really frustrating and annoying issue that I just can’t seem to fix. I don’t know if this is the right place to ask because I am new to this forum site so sorry if it is the wrong place. But anyways, this is the problem: in my drum set, I have two bass drums. Both are the same size, 22 inches. Both have the same drum heads (emad 2 for batter and resonant is a black Tama head). And both have one pillow in them. And I have a drum dial and have triple checked tuning and I know that they are tuned the exact same. So, they should sound the same but one of them sounds damped. So damped that there is almost no tone, as if the sound is choked. The other bass drum sounds completely fine and normal, not like the other. As far as bass pedals go, I have two different types of pedals, one is a Dixon bass pedal, the other is a pearl bass pedal (I know it’s weird but it’s a long story and I have to use pedals of different makes because of reasons). So I thought it could be that they are not the same makes of pedals, so I switched them. And I found that whatever bass drum the pearl pedal was attached to made it sound like that, for some reason the pearl pedal made it sound damped???. So I know a friend who let me borrow his pedal, because his is a Dixon so now I have two pedals of the same kind. But the same issue arises, the one he lended me makes both bass drums sound choked, but my Dixon pedal makes it sound fine??? so it can’t be because of different pedal types. Or could it??? I hope that makes sense but it’s really frustrating and it may be and easy answer or fix but I can’t wrap my head around it

benthedrum

Hmmmm........maybe could it be your dominant foot is striking the batter head with more power than your non-dominant foot?

Technique could vary between your feet.......have you checked that out?

I only suggest this because you have identical heads, pedals, beaters, muffling and tuning.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I think this might be an issue with the head. I've occasionally gotten "bad" heads that sounded dead and while it's usable for a bit, in a situation like this it might be quite noticeable. I've gotten to where I'll strike a head in my hand to make sure it vibrates a bit and doesn't just make a slap noise.

Could also be a bering-edge on the drum.

So to rule out stuff like this: Swap the heads between drums. See if the issue follows the head or stays with the drum. I don't think this has anything to do with the pedal or beaters personally.

beatdat

So, the Pearl pedal leads to a dampened sound, as does your friend's Dixon pedal, but your one Dixon pedal makes the drums sound fine. Maybe you just had two bum pedals in a row. Did you try setting his Dixon pedal up just like yours?

Other things to consider, if it's not the pedals:

Try striking the drum like JustJames says, using just the beater in your hand. And take the muffling out of the drums first, and make sure the ring on the Emad heads are set the same way (assuming these one can be adjusted).

Are the drums placed uniformly on the floor? Maybe check that both have the same amount of lift under the front hoop.

Is the floor the same under each drum (ie. don't have one on a rug while the other isn't)?

TastyJuice

So I got home and I’ve been testing. I made sure they were the same height off the ground, and still the same problem. So I took the kit down and did some work. I took the head off and hit it to see if it would vibrate. It did, just like the other head, but not as much. If anything it barley moved. Then I checked the bearing edge on both and nothing wrong with either of them. I switched heads and took the pillows out so the only muffling is the ring on both heads. And I hit them both with the beater using my hand, then using the pedal. Now, the bass drum that had the issue, is now deeper and louder. And the bass drum that was sounding great now has low end and no choked sound, but not as powerful sounding as the other. So I guess it is the drum head that’s the issue. But, if that’s the case then why? I bought that head about two days ago, because the last one had a dimple in it.

lefty2

Platinum Member
Something else I'm wondering about is, if there are drums or anything else on one kick and not the other. It seems kind of strange. I think you've said that both drums will sound good with your Dixon pedal though. So I guess that rules out, a bad head, or other drums on one kick and not the other. I don't know. Same beaters, heads, tuning, drum shells. That about covers everything.

beatdat

I took the head off and hit it to see if it would vibrate. It did, just like the other head, but not as much. If anything it barley moved.
Sounds like you have a dead head.

Take them both back to the store. Exchange the dead head for one that sounds like the good head. Make sure to tap them both while you're there.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Man, I am not going to say I told you so. That would be uncouth if I were to do something like that.