What should a drummer be able to play after 1 year

howidied

Is there something each decent drumme r should be able to play or what most drummers are able to play? ive been playing almost for a year now and im trying to compare myself with drummers who played the same amount of time.

like playing paradiddles at a certain tempo, singles, double, heel toe, slide etc.?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
First, don't compare yourself to other drummers. It can be a source of much frustration. How are you 1 year later than you were before? Are your rudiments better? Is your time better? Do you read? Are you taking lessons.? We all learn at different levels and comparing you to me or any other drummer after a year has little meaning. Hope this helps.

slowrocker

Silver Member
First, don't compare yourself to other drummers. It can be a source of much frustration. How are you 1 year later than you were before? Are your rudiments better? Is your time better? Do you read? Are you taking lessons.? We all learn at different levels and comparing you to me or any other drummer after a year has little meaning. Hope this helps.
Agreed.some drummers start slow but put in the effort to be really good. I wasn't so motivated when I started so it took a few years to improve a lot.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Good advice here already - this isn't a race. You progress at your own pace. If you're noticing improvements, that's what really matters. Well, what really matters is that you're noticing improvements, but you're not noticing the work because you're having such a great time doing it.

But if you really want something to shoot for, you should be able to sight-read and play Frank Zappa's 'Black Page #2' if you wanna talk about goals ;)

Numberless

Platinum Member
Get together with a couple of musician friends and jam a little or play some simple tunes, if they enjoy your playing then you're on the right track.

The Black Page Dude

Is there something each decent drumme r should be able to play or what most drummers are able to play? ive been playing almost for a year now and im trying to compare myself with drummers who played the same amount of time.

like playing paradiddles at a certain tempo, singles, double, heel toe, slide etc.?

Sit down with your teacher and set some short term goals (what you want to master in 3months, 6months etc) then establish some long term goals - 1 year. Then you will know what you will need to practice to achieve those goals.

I say your teacher because we always do one of 2 things setting our own goals: 1. think we can do more than what we can and 2. sell ourselves too short on what we are cabable of.

Don't worry about what other drummers are doing ... some players can barely play after a year and some are gigging after a year. Depends on your commitment and how much you play/practice.

Fur drummer

Pioneer Member
Like some have already said everyone is different. It depends on your natural ability. You should have improved stick control and coordination since you started playing 1 year ago. You should feel more relaxed and confident behind the kit.

You should be able to play simple songs that don't have advanced or complicated drum parts. Depending on the music you play, you should be able to play a steady common time ( 4/4 time) rock beat with some simple drum breaks.

Once again try not to compare yourself with others or think you should be able to play or do something on the drums after 1 year. That can be frustrating and discouraging. Just go at your own pace and have fun. Hope this helps.

MaryO

Platinum Member
Oh man...don't compare yourself to others, it'll kill you. Ive been playing just under 2 years and I know there are those out there, like you, playing for less time that can blow me out of the water without even thinking about it. BUT I do see improvement almost every time I play now, I keep learning new things, and most of all, I'm still having fun! If you can accomplish those things, no matter your "skill" level, you will be more successful than most :)

Happy Drumming!

BigDinSD

Gold Member
Oh man...don't compare yourself to others, it'll kill you. Ive been playing just under 2 years and I know there are those out there, like you, playing for less time that can blow me out of the water without even thinking about it. BUT I do see improvement almost every time I play now, I keep learning new things, and most of all, I'm still having fun! If you can accomplish those things, no matter your "skill" level, you will be more successful than most :)

Happy Drumming!
Like MaryO says. I remember a few years back when I first returned to drumming after 25 years (Brand new bascially) and I went onto Youtube. Totally blown away and overwhelmed from many talented drummers . I bet many half my age. Only after 3 years can I now say; "Ah, that cat shreds, let me see if I can do some of that."

1st know your goals. Gigging band, studio work, hobby, weekend jamming?

Then find a good instructor who can plot your progress, based on your goals. Or at least determine just what YOU THINK you should know right now.

You can never go wrong practicing paradiddles, double strokes, singles strokes regularly. How you apply them to the kit can measure your progress.

I always try to get just a little bit cleaner, sharper, groovier after each practice session. Measure your progress daily.

Toolate

Platinum Member
BEst thing to do, if you really want to be judged, would be to post something in the "your playing" section and ask for critique/opinions. I would go look and comment and I am sure most people here would at least look.

Boomka

Platinum Member
Hard to say, but here are a couple of questions to ask about said drummer:

1. Has said drummer been self-teaching and/or are they working with a qualified instructor?

2. How much quality practice time has said drummer put in over the course of that year?

Bad Tempered Clavier

Silver Member
THAT is absolutely brilliant my friend...

I'm convinced, at around 1:04, that the guy has some kind of minor fit...

Thank you
His double bass videos are even better. I unashamedly love this guy. His website is an absolute hoot.
My pleasure - I had no idea the guy was so prolific, though. Of course, the hands-down best video I have ever seen is this one. I genuinely believe you could not make that one up.