What kind of crazy things did you do to your kit as a kid?

PeaTearGriffin1107

I know it's stupid, but I remember all the ridiculous projects I did with my first kit as a kid...you know...rewrapping it with a hideous kitchen drawer liner, covering it in stickers and spray painting the snare shell when I figured out that those metal thingies on the shell actually come off!!!. Can't forget the duct tape "X"s on the batters AND resonants...I guess I thought I was improving the sound? God knows. Surely I'm not the only one who did this stuff. What mindless things did you guys do to your kits back in the day?

By the way, sorry if this exact thread exists already.

PeaTearGriffin1107

That is epic! If only my budget for materials had been more than a handful of change. Are those some sort of wooden peg holders for those concert toms? Never seen anything like that!

S

sticks4drums

That is epic! If only my budget for materials had been more than a handful of change. Are those some sort of wooden peg holders for those concert toms? Never seen anything like that!
I built those out of solid Maple in grade 11 Wood shop. We did not have much money, so anything I got was built by me, or very cheap. They worked great, and I still have them now. I use a heavy grade sand paper between the joints for friction to keep them from moving when tightened.

dwdrummerky

I built those out of solid Maple in grade 11 Wood shop. We did not have much money, so anything I got was built by me, or very cheap. They worked great, and I still have them now. I use a heavy grade sand paper between the joints for friction to keep them from moving when tightened.
Thats awesome Sticks!

Back when I had my first kit I tried to incorporate every drum, cymbal, cowbell, wood block and accessory I could find. Looking back it was pretty overblown, but fun for a beginner.