What is Your Perfect Practice Space?

OrangeAgent27

Silver Member
So this probably overlaps about a thousand existing threads but I didn't find one that was "spot on", so here we go!

What would/does make up a "perfect practice space"? Not talking about anything in specific, just ramblings. But for an example:

My current practice space is in my basement in a tucked away 15' x 20' area with carpeted floor and a low ceiling. To me, the sound is overwhelmingly loud, so what I would change is increase the room space maybe 15' on both sides (if you can't tell, I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to acoustics). I would also like a window so I could open it up and feel a nice breeze in the spring or summer. I would like some of the acoustic foam on the walls because I've heard it helps with a lot of the highs. Also, I think I would like wooden floors, but that would probably increase the volume substantially. I currently have an old huge desk in there that has a ton of room for my other snare, box of drum keys, felts, hi hat clutches. I also have a keyboard that I would love to play along with but the drums drowned it out and there is no way I'm going to waste "drum money" on a freaking keyboard.. So yeah, I'm happy with my space but the next house will have to have a better room to practice in that has better acoustics.

Anyhow, what would/did you change to make your practice space better? It could be anything! Added shelving for your gear, moved to a different spot in the house, etc..

Brundlefly

The perfect practice space?

A football stadium. My kit is on a 30 foot riser in the middle that is made from dinosaur fossils. The only way in and out is via zip line. The top of the riser is constantly rotating... on all axis. The field is entirely covered in Slip n' Slides and Bengal tigers chasing ground bloom flowers, except for outermost 20 yards, which is a mote filled with sharks. In place of every seat is placed a standee of Zoey Deschanel dressed in a wet suit with a steaming hotdog, covered in mustard stuck onto each hand. The hundreds of Coolaid men are running up and down the aisles, crashing through paper walls painted to look like bricks. Each time one of them crashes through a paper wall, the words "Oh yeah!" flash on the Jumbo-tron.

I won't practice in anything less. I won't!

OrangeAgent27

Silver Member
The perfect practice space?

A football stadium. My kit is on a 30 foot riser in the middle that is made from dinosaur fossils. The only way in and out is via zip line. The top of the riser is constantly rotating... on all axis. The field is entirely covered in Slip n' Slides and Bengal tigers chasing ground bloom flowers, except for outermost 20 yards, which is a mote filled with sharks. In place of every seat is placed a standee of Zoey Deschanel dressed in a wet suit with a steaming hotdog, covered in mustard stuck onto each hand. The hundreds of Coolaid men are running up and down the aisles, crashing through paper walls painted to look like bricks. Each time one of them crashes through a paper wall, the words "Oh yeah!" flash on the Jumbo-tron.

I won't practice in anything less. I won't!
I'm not gonna lie. I got really pumped up just reading that. We gotta make this happen!!!

chaymus

Well if you gotta dream, dream big. I don't think I'd get any real practicing done though, I'd probably just stare at the awesomeness.

I'd go for an acoustically fit space with enough space for a large number of instruments all mic'd. Outside of this, mini fridge and an ashtray. I hope to be the proud owner of an unfinished basement soon, and will give it a go to make things work.

nocTurnal

My dream practice space right now is a 5 x 10 storage unit (No temperature control or electricity). LoL. Well, it's either that or a rehearsal studio that charges $10 an hour. Those hours can add up quite quickly. The storage unit on the other hand would cost about $72 a month.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Right now in the house, I have an add-on patio room where the drums and PA live. The size is perfect (about 16' x 10' and a standard 8' ceiling). Eventually, when we re-do that room I'd like to make it about 14' tall with acoustic walls and a sand-loaded floor for complete sound isolation. Right now when I play the acoustic kit everyone can hear me in the neighborhood, but no one minds because the rear of the house faces a wide-open park. I also have mesh heads on my little Sonor Safari kit so I can practice with 90% less volume at any time during the day or night.