What is your drum setup pet peeve?

T.Underhill

Pioneer Member
Long hair with a bad dye job, ludicrous snare drum angle while playing matched grip, too tight/stupid looking shirt, shimmering, stacked towers of cymbals that might collapse onto your head at any moment, creepy voiceover in YT videos.

Oh, and duct tape on drum heads.

Last edited:

Boomka

Platinum Member
Have you ever seen a drum setup and thought oh god that looks awful?
I personally cannot stand suspended Floor toms and heavily angled toms.
When it comes to other people's kits, my only pet peeve is when they haven't been given sufficient space to set up and they're blocking my path to the bar or the restroom.

MikeM

Platinum Member
...FAIL! If the audience can't see you play , you might as well stay home and send a recording!
Not strictly kit related, but running with this thought - black drumsticks annoy the hell out of me for this reason. Love me some Gadd, but it bugs me that I can't visually follow his sticking. I've seen other drummers using black sticks and same thing. Especially on a dark stage. What's the point of that? In order for something to look cool, you have to be able to see it, right?

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
My pet peeve? How 'bout the saw dust remnants of once complete drum sticks below my hi-hats. And speaking of hi-hats, I really don't like hats that sit at shoulder level - too high - especially when the drum throne is way too low.

Cymbals set way above the set, china set at a 90 degree angle so its useless, pieces put miles apart so you cant reach them.

However, I do love the suspended floor toms. It's a lot more comfortable to play than regular floor toms.

Armor of Light

I really hate those clear plastic quarantine zones that some drummers use (or are forced to use). Like..WE are the problem..!

drummer-russ

Gold Member
Just had to play another persons kit with a 1 up 2 down config. Wow I hated it. So far to go from rack to floor tom.

Crappy heads with duct tape.
Really poor quality BD pedals.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Oh cool, an invitation to complain.

I had to think about it for a minute but I don't understand guys that setup their rack tom on a snare stand at the exact same height as their snare.. Wtf.. The stick has to hit it at a pretty sharp angle. I think they're just copying that punk guy, which brings me to my main one:

I know there are only so many setups we can think of but fanboys that have no imagination of their own and copy some famous drummers setup.

Even worse is when they have no idea how to use the setups.

5 crash cymbals, 3 chinas, 3 splashes but no real understanding of their application other than to give them each a turn at being hit. Each to their own but I associate these setups with douchebags who just play drums to look cool then quit when they his their 20s and realize drums require some patience and effort.

Oh and people that use tiny snare drums as a main snare and crank them up tight.

drummer-russ

Gold Member
I have tom angle anxiety.
I hate my own deep power toms mounted to my 22 inch bass drum on my gigging kit. I can't get my toms low enough and close enough together for my taste.

(Bless my new Yamaha Live Customs with the shallow toms.)

Jim,

I bought my current Mapex kit after 30 years out of playing and bought the best sounding kit for the money I had available. I thought the deep toms would be great since I like a deep sound. Now I realize those deep toms on my 22" BD do put my kit up higher than I would prefer. If I ever pull the trigger for a second or replacement kit it will definitely have shallow toms and probably smaller too.
But I don't have trouble getting them close enough.

Attachments

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Jim,

I bought my current Mapex kit after 30 years out of playing and bought the best sounding kit for the money I had available. I thought the deep toms would be great since I like a deep sound. Now I realize those deep toms on my 22" BD do put my kit up higher than I would prefer. If I ever pull the trigger for a second or replacement kit it will definitely have shallow toms and probably smaller too.
But I don't have trouble getting them close enough.
Yeah that looks great.
I like the sound of the deep toms.
My toms are at about the same angle as yours. Not too bad.

How tall are you?

drummer-russ

Gold Member
"On the other side of the fence, pet peeve is drummers who haven't got a clue how to tune their instrument, or any appreciation of appropriate tuning for the situation. Disappointingly, that's 90%+ of drummers out there in my experience :( "

Andy I always feel like you are talking to me! Not because you in anyway say it to me, but I just am not satisfied with my tuning abilities. I think I have improved but am never happy. What would be your fee to fly over and teach me to tune my drums? ;-)

Last edited:

drummer-russ

Gold Member
I'm 5 ft 10 in. Part of issue about height also has to do with trying to make sure I am visible behind the kit, not just for vanity but I also sing lead on a few songs. I would love to be able to drop everything by about 2 inches. And yes also reduce the angle of the toms just a bit. Especially my 10" on my left next to my HH.

Beam Me Up Scotty

Silver Member
Long hair with a bad dye job, ludicrous snare drum angle while playing matched grip, stupid looking shirt, shimmering, stacked towers of cymbals that might collapse onto your head at any moment, creepy voiceover in YT videos.

Oh, and duct tape on drum heads.
...Wailin' Smash? Lol.

davezedlee

For me, its when some beginner players adjust their pedal beaters to be closer to the head when its idle... so instead of a 45 or even 60 degree angle, its closer to 70 or 75 degrees

Can't play anything but quarter notes because there's no travel, and the beater barely returns off the head... have encountered that a few times while sitting in

Naigewron

Platinum Member
I think I've found the most pet peeves combined in one kit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdOTkRllJi8

- The most obvious one is the hihat up in the stratosphere (must be a custom stand)
- Snare heavily angled away from the drummer (along with the toms)
- Substantial distance between toms
- Cymbals high and flat
- Duct tape everywhere

The ironic (for lack of a better term) part is that the guy, Col Hatchman, is a superb drummer. To each his own when it comes to setups, I guess. I certainly couldn't play that kit :)

opentune

Platinum Member
I would love to be able to drop everything by about 2 inches. And yes also reduce the angle of the toms just a bit. Especially my 10" on my left next to my HH.
Looks to me your hanging toms can come down 2 - 3 inches before hitting the bass drum? I see plenty of space below the toms there.