What is the slowest BPM song you enjoy playing

Macarina

Silver Member
So I'm getting cabin fever and getting a little goofy.

(and this is going to make some speed/death metal players heads explode)

Sitting here listening to chill out music, I was thinking, what is the slowest song that I still enjoy playing? Then what is that BPM?

I would say my bottom limit would be in the 60's BPM range.
In my rotating song list I practice too, Sigur Ros - Svefn-g-englar and it looks to be about 68 BPM. That about pegs my enjoyment meter of playing that slow of a song.

I'm sure there are slower songs out there ya'll enjoy playing?

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
As a death metal guy. I play in the 180-240 range a ton.. but I love the 70-100 range myself when i'm playing other stuff or grooving. id say 50-60... probibly closer to 60. 50 gets tough holding it back.

although, BPM is relative. I can change the subdivision in 200 to feel like 50, and I can also make 50 BPM sound like I'm ripping super fast music.. All BPM is is a click in my ear.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
One of the things I always liked most about type o negative was how slow some of the songs are.

I just tapped out "Love you to death" and it came in at quarter note around 55bpm. Less than one per second.

It's kinda hard to play with that much space sometimes and stay solid. I was mesmerized watching them live.

Actually learning that the old albums had fake drums gutted me for a while. Seeing live was believing!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
As a death metal guy. I play in the 180-240 range a ton.. but I love the 70-100 range myself when i'm playing other stuff or grooving. id say 50-60... probibly closer to 60. 50 gets tough holding it back.

although, BPM is relative. I can change the subdivision in 200 to feel like 50, and I can also make 50 BPM sound like I'm ripping super fast music.. All BPM is is a click in my ear.
Same here. Playing slow can be very rewarding. It's nice to let a big fat groove just breathe. If it feels like it is too slow to play smoothly, I can always double up on the hats/ride.

I don't really try to play along with music note for note anymore. I just use the song as a click. If it is slow or fast isn't really a concern at this point. It's how I feel while at the kit. Some days I wanna go slow, others I just wanna run for a while.

(no explosion here, head still in tact)

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Don't really have a lower tempo limit. I've practiced planty in the 40-50 BMP range.

Definetly have an upper limit, but it depends on the music. Fast swing is ok. Other stuff less so. The blast stuff...........I can take about two bars before I want to go home.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
One of the things I always liked most about type o negative was how slow some of the songs are.

I just tapped out "Love you to death" and it came in at quarter note around 55bpm. Less than one per second.
!
A great song.

Yes, they had some slow ones.

But What it comes down to subdividing.

Playing 16th notes at 50 bm is playing more than playing quarter notes at 70

New Tricks

Platinum Member
The slowest I currently play is a ballad at 70 BPM.

It is sometimes a chore to keep it in check, both for the band members and myself. The acoustic guitarist wants to rush the intro, the vocalist wants to rush the vocals and I want to rush the big fills.

T_Weaves

Silver Member
Do You still Remember by Aretha Franklin is pretty damn slow for me. Great song. BTW, I have never used a BPM measurement. hehe

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
A great song.

Yes, they had some slow ones.

But What it comes down to subdividing.

Playing 16th notes at 50 bm is playing more than playing quarter notes at 70
Yea, that's kinda why I mentioned Type O. Not only are the QN BPM numbers often low, the amount of time between notes in some of the songs is really cool. They don't tend to stuff a bunch of notes in. The spaciousness of the songs is a feature!

alparrott

Platinum Member
My covers band does "Tennessee Whiskey" by Chris Stapleton, which Google says should be at 50 bpm; we do it maybe even a touch slower by my reckoning (between 43 and 46). Granted, it's in 12/8 feel.

DrummerCA35

In our band I like these:

Sara Smile (hall and Oates)
Maryjane’s Last Dance (petty)
Shakey Ground (mcclinton)
I love rock and roll

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Etta James' "At Last".

I clock it at 56 or so.

Ray Charles' "Georgia On My Mind"

I clock that at 62 or so.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I played Albatross by Fleetwood Mac on Friday. That’s pretty slow.

Last month we did ‘Crazy’ by Linda Ronstadt.

EDIT: Albatross is 66, Crazy is 75 BPM

jimzo

Re: What is the slowest BPM song you enjoy playing

Adding to Howard Roberts insight;
If I am learning something new, then as slow as I could play perfectly. There also is a too slow in which execution will suffer. So again, as slow as one can play without any mistakes.

double_G

Silver Member
AH !!! i Loooove slow 6/8 . welp 60 is always a blast but predictable ("a change gonna come" by Seal). 32 (31.9?) is fun with "if you dont know me by now" by Simply Red. the album performance is friggin beautiful / locked. then 38.5 on "youre still a young man" by TOP.

for 4/4 check "shame" by Tyrese at 58. bad ass.