What has been your best drum score?

samdrum

Just a little over 2 years ago I decided I had the drumming itch again after about a 20 year layoff. I really wanted a Gretsch Catalina Rock Kit. Did not want really want to spend $900 on what I believed to be a very good mid-range kit. I waited and patiently waited and finally one showedup locally on Craigslist.(The original white nitron, larger drum sized kit) ffor $650. I emailed the guy and told him I would love to buy the drums but they were still a bit out of my price range. About a week goes by and he sends me an email and says he will sell them to me for $450. I bought them 2 days later. Recently sold them for $525 so THAT was a great deal.

My original drum set was bought for me by my father in 1970. It was a 4 piece Apollo in White Marine pearl with hi-hats and a Zildjian Ride, all for $100. As I got older and knew more about drums I realized that the set of hats were a pair of 14" Paiste 602's pre-serial number. I remember i eventually cracked the top hat so i flipped them and used them that way for years until I eventually sold them and whatever kit I had back then. The guy, to whom I sold all of my stuff, is a friend of mine and he still has the bottom 602 hat. I keep trying to find a way to get it back from him. :0

Roosto

Bought these from a guy in Maine about eleven years ago. I think I paid $225. 12 14 20 w/ matching snare-

alparrott

Platinum Member
I've often referred to my first snare drum as a bit of a great deal... I received it, and the rest of my (horrible) first drum kit, for $200. Turned out the snare was a 60's Ludwig Pioneer in blue duco, worth well over $200 all on its own. (Sold it. Stupid, stupid, stupid.)

More recently, scored a near-mint set of 13" K/Z hats from the 80's for $100 (saving about $250-$300).

longgun

Gold Member
............I have to admit.......I think I'm addicted to searching Craigslist and Ebay for deals.

I've had some great deals over the years, but this was my best one.............

Picked up a DW Collectors 4 piece kit, with a Tama piccolo snare, DW 5000 hardware (2 Booms, 1 straight, double tom stand and hat stand), Older Zildjian cymbals (20" Ride, 2 crashes, new A custom splash and new quick beat hats) and bags for all of the drums for...............

Wait for it.

$700 cash

Amazing deal.........and no, they were not stolen.

Gotta love Craigslist

Well, there was this cute girl that came up to talk to me after a show. One thing leads to another, and---Oh, this is about gear, nevermind!

Hmmmm let me see:

My latest kit from GC's used gear a few years back. A four-piece Peace kit in a sunset fade-like finish. Not sure on the model, so I'm still attempting to figure that out. I always thought it was a DNA (intermediate side with iso-mounts), but can't see they ever made one with a 22" x 20" bass drum (with fusion size toms) or in this finish. It came with a steel hand-hammered snare, as well as a brass snare (both Peace).

All that for $325!!!

A pair of hollow logo vintage (I think 70s) Zildjian 14" hats for $50 on Craigslist. A bit too heavy for my taste, but I ended up selling them for $200 to get the ride and hi hats I'm currently using.

Okay, there's more, but I'm done.

rmandelbaum

Platinum Member
I have had a few,

I picked up a pair of vintage Zilco 14" marching cymbals in an antique store for 60 bucks. I use them as hi-hat bottoms and love them.

I bought at vinatge TAMA superstar 5 piece kit online, never saw a snare in the picture and really didnt care, I was after the rest. I paid 350.00 for it. When I open the boxes it turned out to be a 6.5 x 14 rosewood mastercraft snare.

20" Zildjian K - pawn shop, 60 bucks

15 vintage Zildjian 15" thin crash 40 bucks

I picked up a mint shure 545 for 15 bucks

I LOVE pawn shops ;-)

chachi

I got my beloved Black Beauty LB416T for 450€ in absolute perfect condition and with guarantee.
That snare was used once or twice maybe. It goes for app. 800 € at Thomann Store

wildbil

Last week I purchased a 1972 blue sparkle set of ludwigs 12 13 16 22,blue and olive badge,collectors, the dude through in a 62 ducco snare, a set of roto toms 2 high hat stands a snare stand ,top of the line tama throne, cymbal stands to no end, all in excellent condition....1000.00 dollars

Kelly!

1961 ludwig superclassic kit with supraphonic snare..... For $180! Great condition too. Thank you craigslist!

Attachments

larryz

Platinum Member
@Kelly... So what was your weapon of choice? Just kidding. Are you sure that wasn't $1800? Which would still be a good deal. Woe is me.

Last week I purchased a 1972 blue sparkle set of ludwigs 12 13 16 22,blue and olive badge,collectors, the dude through in a 62 ducco snare, a set of roto toms 2 high hat stands a snare stand ,top of the line tama throne, cymbal stands to no end, all in excellent condition....1000.00 dollars
Have to say I don't have any deals to brag about.

Don't know if it's because I'm unlucky or just cheap though - LOL.
This confuses me! Stop it! Hahaha ;-)

wildbil

Kelly I paid more than that for my 60s snare alone....What a great deal...@ through, careful dude I ended up marrying one of those cute girls many years later....sorry about the confusion. :]

jodgey4

Silver Member
$80 for a Pearl Steel 3.5" Free Floater, similar price for a 3" x 13" Remo snare, and a friend is indefinitely lending me his old kit and two snares, as many of you know.

Kelly!

@Kelly... So what was your weapon of choice? Just kidding. Are you sure that wasn't $1800? Which would still be a good deal. Woe is me.
Sounds crazy, I know... But it's true. It was posted at 1am one night and I bought it within 12hrs of its posting lol. I don't believe they knew what they had. Surprisingly, they told me they had it out on the curb at a yard sale the weekend before, and nobody bought it!?!? I paid the asking price, without regret, but almost felt bad about it... 'Til I played them! An opportunity like that will probably never happen again, but I still scan craigslist daily with my eyes peeled and my hopes high.

Late Bloomer

I recently picked up a new Brady 14x6.5 Jarrah ply black hart snare for $500, reduced down from more than $1,500. I have wanted a Brady for several years, but could not afford one, until Billy Hyde closed their doors and were almost giving stuff away on the last day or so. I could not believe my luck.